Apple working on improved Exchange support for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is working on improving the iPhone's support of Microsoft's Exchange email platform, which could finally deliver true syncing capabilities, a new company job posting has revealed.

The undated listing seeks a "motivated, highly-technical Exchange test/sync engineer with excellent problem solving and communication skills."

"You will join a dynamic team responsible for qualifying the latest iPhone products," the company wrote. "Your focus will be testing Exchange and Outlook functionality with Apple’s innovative new phone."

Thus far, the iPhone's official support of Exchange has been limited to IMAP functionality under certain conditions. The lack of full support for the Microsoft platform is commonly cited as one of the primary barriers to adoption of the Apple handset by businesses, as Exchange is widely deployed as the email solution of choice amongst the corporate world.

Though speculative, Apple's reference to sync engineers may indicate that work is being done to deliver support for ActiveSync, which would allow the iPhone to synchronize email, calendar items and contacts with Exchange servers. Potential iPhone buyers who rely on Exchange in the workplace have have singled out the omission of ActiveSync support as the limiting factor in their decision to hold off on purchasing the Apple handset.

In a recent web poll, 98 percent of respondents said support for ActiveSync or some other form of Exchange synchronization would greatly influence their decision to eventually purchase an iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Whooohoot 1st post. About time they focused on this feature . Only way to sell to corporate group is to get the email to work right
  • Reply 2 of 19
    A lot of people at my company would like to adopt the ipone also but we would need notes compatibility in order for this to happen. Currently lot's of Blackberries on a few BES servers.

If or when they provide support that would be great, but I do agree to exchange should be first since most companies use it.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Hmmm

it is needed but this does not prove anything yet. I hope they are developing alot of angles. Notes and Exchange support would however break down some more barriers.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Lotus Notes?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Full exchange would be great, and really boost acceptance in the business environment. Apple already has its own notes (stickies). I am surprised they don't sync with that until they can go to full exchange support.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Active sync support can not come soon enough for me. I hate carrying around a BlackBerry just for work email.

I get shit from friends all the time having two phones, but I WANT my iPhone and I NEED my BB...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by forefun View Post

Full exchange would be great, and really boost acceptance in the business environment. Apple already has its own notes (stickies). I am surprised they don't sync with that until they can go to full exchange support.

forefun... I don't think those are the kinds of "notes" we are speaking of.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    This is one critical piece.

The other is allowing iPhones to be linked to corporate AT&T accounts that use pooled minutes. As long as users have to exist as individual accounts with AT&T and expense their phone bills, 'corporate' adoption will consist mainly of individuals who would have their own phone anyway and use it on their own for company use.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    What about .Mac synchronization?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevesreed View Post

Active sync support can not come soon enough for me. I hate carrying around a BlackBerry just for work email.

I get shit from friends all the time having two phones, but I WANT my iPhone and I NEED my BB...

I think personal stuff should be done on your own devices anyway.

How well does iPhone handle multiple email accounts?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think personal stuff should be done on your own devices anyway.

How well does iPhone handle multiple email accounts?

Very easily. I have 4 set up, and will be adding 3 more soon.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muzocan View Post

What about .Mac synchronization?

Doesn't it do this already, through syncing with your Mac?

What would the iPhone sync to .Mac that wouldn't automatically sync when synced with your Mac and then your Mac synced to .Mac? How many more times can I put the word sync into a sentence?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

What would the iPhone sync to .Mac that wouldn't automatically sync when synced with your Mac and then your Mac synced to .Mac? How many more times can I put the word sync into a sentence?

Maybe remote .Mac syncing could cut out some of that syncing done at the Mac, and be timelier. I don't know.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Hey Apple!!!

Make it Exchange compliant.

Infiltrate the IT Enterprise backend.

Reach mature market strength.

Meanwhile, introduce an open-standards solution to replace Exchange.

Enhance it in OS X Server and OS X Clients.

Convince IT that it's easier to maintain, deploy and utilize than Exchange.

Make Exchange be another option and not the de facto standard.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    "The undated listing seeks a "motivated, highly-technical Exchange test/sync engineer with excellent problem solving and communication skills.""

You better have excellent problem solving skills if you're going to try to sync with Microsoft software.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Lol..! Well, if my iPhone can sync with Exchange servers, I'd like to sync with .Mac naturally. I have an iMac at home and an iBook to work on the way. I sync my iPhone with my iMac, but I can't sync the new contacts and calendar events with my iBook.

If I could sync .Mac through my iPhone, I could sync my iBook.

Sync, sync, sync.. This is the keyword. Sync.

Sync.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    It seems insane that Apple hasn't incorporated remote .mac syncing right from the start. Even my rusty old Sidekick II syncs with T-Mobile OTA.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

This is one critical piece.

The other is allowing iPhones to be linked to corporate AT&T accounts that use pooled minutes. As long as users have to exist as individual accounts with AT&T and expense their phone bills, 'corporate' adoption will consist mainly of individuals who would have their own phone anyway and use it on their own for company use.

Corporate service plans should also not require users to provide Tunes accounts and credit card numbers just to use basic functions of the iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

It seems insane that Apple hasn't incorporated remote .mac syncing right from the start. Even my rusty old Sidekick II syncs with T-Mobile OTA.

Isn't that the sidekick's kind of selling point?