Windows Issues when running on a MAC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm seriously considering buying a MacBook Pro and running Fusion and Windows XP on it. I'm a .Net developer so I want to make sure that when running Fusion and Windows XP that I won't have any issues. I need to make sure that I can create and deploy windows and web applications and that there are no problems using IIS or SQL Server. I'm tired of laptops only lasting three years and am very interested in learning about the Mac. How and/or where can I find out about this? Thanks.

Regards,

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianB13 View Post

I'm seriously considering buying a MacBook Pro and running Fusion and Windows XP on it. I'm a .Net developer so I want to make sure that when running Fusion and Windows XP that I won't have any issues. I need to make sure that I can create and deploy windows and web applications and that there are no problems using IIS or SQL Server. I'm tired of laptops only lasting three years and am very interested in learning about the Mac. How and/or where can I find out about this? Thanks.

Regards,

Brian

The Macbook Pro is a fantastic machine. It'll run Windows just fine. But here's the problem, the Macbook Pro is your normal Intel laptop, so you'll still need to use antivirus software when running Windows.

On OS X however, you don't need any protection. Though it's always safe to turn on the OS's firewall. This won't always be the case, but for now OS X doesn't have ANY known viruses, trojans, or anything of the sort.

Okay, now moving on from the sales pitch towards the new user... In all honesty, I was a Windows developer for almost 10 years, and as such I fought with my computer day in and day out. I would click on an option or setting, be disappointed in the results, hit ctrl-z, and find some work-around to get what I wanted.

This was the daily routine. Minute after minute, hour after hour. I even tolerated this because I thought this was what computers did. Enter OS X. It does exactly what you'd expect it to. When you edit a photo, it'll do what you wanted it to do, not what Windows would've thought you wanted. When you change a setting, no longer will you have to restart the computer. When you uninstall an application, no longer will you have random files strewn about your hard drive. No longer will you have restart because the OS starts to feel "quirky" after a few hours of use. All of the time you spent on troubleshooting can now be used for actual productivity.

It. Just. Works.

Though you likely won't even notice how much time you've wasted on all that until you've been using OS X for a while. OS X works with SQL servers, IIS, and everything else. After another 10 years with OS X, I can safely say this will be the best decision of your life.

The trick is you can't go at OS X expecting it to operate the same way Windows did. It's a different mindset. As you start to catch on and wrap your head around it, you'll realize that while OS X "will" do things in the same manner as Windows, that doesn't mean it's the best, or most efficient way of accomplishing that particular task.

The biggest tip I can give you is to learn OS X keyboard shortcuts. Afterwards you'll wonder what logic M$ was using when they designed theirs.

The biggest thing for OS X is the user interface. it's laid out logically. Again, you'll go "Oh... That's nice..." and wonder what M$ was thinking once you get used to it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan View Post

The Macbook Pro is a fantastic machine. It'll run Windows just fine. But here's the problem, the Macbook Pro is your normal Intel laptop, so you'll still need to use antivirus software when running Windows.

On OS X however, you don't need any protection. Though it's always safe to turn on the OS's firewall. This won't always be the case, but for now OS X doesn't have ANY known viruses, trojans, or anything of the sort.

Okay, now moving on from the sales pitch towards the new user... In all honesty, I was a Windows developer for almost 10 years, and as such I fought with my computer day in and day out. I would click on an option or setting, be disappointed in the results, hit ctrl-z, and find some work-around to get what I wanted.

This was the daily routine. Minute after minute, hour after hour. I even tolerated this because I thought this was what computers did. Enter OS X. It does exactly what you'd expect it to. When you edit a photo, it'll do what you wanted it to do, not what Windows would've thought you wanted. When you change a setting, no longer will you have to restart the computer. When you uninstall an application, no longer will you have random files strewn about your hard drive. No longer will you have restart because the OS starts to feel "quirky" after a few hours of use. All of the time you spent on troubleshooting can now be used for actual productivity.

It. Just. Works.

Though you likely won't even notice how much time you've wasted on all that until you've been using OS X for a while. OS X works with SQL servers, IIS, and everything else. After another 10 years with OS X, I can safely say this will be the best decision of your life.

The trick is you can't go at OS X expecting it to operate the same way Windows did. It's a different mindset. As you start to catch on and wrap your head around it, you'll realize that while OS X "will" do things in the same manner as Windows, that doesn't mean it's the best, or most efficient way of accomplishing that particular task.

The biggest tip I can give you is to learn OS X keyboard shortcuts. Afterwards you'll wonder what logic M$ was using when they designed theirs.

The biggest thing for OS X is the user interface. it's laid out logically. Again, you'll go "Oh... That's nice..." and wonder what M$ was thinking once you get used to it.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. You have sold me on it. I'm going ahead and ordering one. Happy Holidays!!!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Can we get the forum logic to replace "MAC" with "Mac?"
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianB13 View Post

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. You have sold me on it. I'm going ahead and ordering one. Happy Holidays!!!

You are quite welcome Brian, and if you ever need any help with your new Mac, the people here on these forums are very knowledgeable. (albeit a little cranky sometimes )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Can we get the forum logic to replace "MAC" with "Mac?"

Then people wouldn't learn nothing. Just because we get tired of seeing it doesn't mean the new users should suffer in ignorance.