Apple job description mentions multi-touch, cameras, remotes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc. in a new job posting has put out a call for qualified software engineers to help further the development of its multi-touch technology not only for future iPhones, but also digital cameras and remote controls.

Initially discovered by writer John Gruber, the job listing for a Prototype Application Design Engineer specifically demands a recruit to help develop early software to "showcase new technologies, user interface concepts and system usage concepts" inside the company.

The posting for the Human Interface Design group does not mention individual projects, but is nonetheless oriented towards "new technologies" and actively encourages a future employee to design technology that would result in new patents.

While the HID team's efforts in multi-touch input are recognizable through the iPhone and should translate to a Newton-like tablet next year, the reference to cameras points to a possible revival of the company's normally subdued efforts in imaging.

Apple has incorporated cameras into the iPhone, iSight, and most of its recent Mac lineup, and may only be pointing to these products with the posting. However, the firm's most concentrated work appeared more than a decade ago with the QuickTake camera range (pictured below).

The essentially rebranded Kodak unit was one of the first digital cameras available in the US and broke ground for the transition from film, though it was outsold by more popular offerings from dedicated camera manufacturers and ultimately cancelled by returning chief Steve Jobs while he refocused the company on its core computer business.

The company's development of remotes has been lower-key in recent memory and is summarized by the six-button Apple Remote included with nearly all Macs, universal iPod docks, and the Apple TV media hub. Nonetheless, the electronics giant has previously filed patents for touchscreen remotes and similar devices that would include a software interface for remote control instead of physical buttons.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    The Mac Tablet is coming!!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The Quicktake 100, while looking almost exactly like Kodaks product had interior differences, and Apple was involved in the original designs. This is what I was told by my Kodak TSR. The 100 sold very well indeed for its day. The 200 was less of a standout, but still offered some of the best picture quality around back then. If Apple was really serious, they could have had a good piece of the camera business, but we might never know.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    There are lots of things they can do with very little effort. But this looks like it's developing concepts to see if they're workable and useful for mass sale.

I suppose multitouch might make cameras easier to use. But if you're not doing advanced controls and using complex features, current cameras are very easy to use as it is.

The iPhone/iTouch platform barely needs to add anything to make a really nice product that blows away a Pronto remote. I really don't like Apple's current remote for home use. The size is necessary for portability, but otherwise it's too uncomfortable. A super remote with Apple's iTouch screen would be nice.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The Mac touch is coming (i.e. the tablet)

11" widescreen or you get the chop el Stevo
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The Mac touch is coming (i.e. the tablet)

11" widescreen or you get the chop el Stevo

Serious question (i.e., not trying to be be cute-sy or snarky or double-entendre-ish or anything else -- the question is meant to be answered as asked): What is so magical about 11 inches?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I'm actually focusing on the secetion about remotes; I have the feeling that iPhone and iPod Touch (via software updates) might be given additional funcionality to serve as remotes for Front Row on Macs and as remotes for the appleTV.

As for the tablet idea....I have to agree: WTH is so magical about 11"? Why not make it smaller? like 10.5"?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

• Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

I'm actually focusing on the secetion about remotes; I have the feeling that iPhone and iPod Touch (via software updates) might be given additional funcionality to serve as remotes for Front Row on Macs and as remotes for the appleTV.

They're going to need infra-red output for that.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

They're going to need infra-red output for that.

They could use Bluetooth. It's in AppleTV for *some* reason.

Would a WiFi remote work well? It might be laggy.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Serious question (i.e., not trying to be be cute-sy or snarky or double-entendre-ish or anything else -- the question is meant to be answered as asked): What is so magical about 11 inches?

I have personally researched this jazz, 11" just seems the perfect size for this device. Small, but not "too" small. 11" and 13mm-15mm thin would be ultra-portable, yet it would have a large enough display to get stuff done on it, as in light-work. Other than that 11" makes for a great portable movie player, great web-browsing, great large email client etc. If it's not 11, then it better not be smaller then 10". If I'm gonna bother carrying around an 8" tablet, then I'd rather carry a way more useful 10 or 11 inch one.

11" with a very thin frame, a very small bezel, and a very light, cool, aluminum form-factor would still feel very small in the real world - in a good way.