Removal of Text under Icons

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know how to remove the text under the finer icons, dock icons, and desktop icons. I don't need to read their names as their icons already show me what application I would click on. Plus the text I think ruins the aesthetics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Does anyone know how to remove the text under the finer icons, dock icons, and desktop icons. I don't need to read their names as their icons already show me what application I would click on. Plus the text I think ruins the aesthetics.

I really can't imagine how that could possibly work... What if you had a whole folder of the same kind of document? How would you possibly know the right one to click? Or know what to look for in spotlight?

This has to be a joke thread. Either that or you're a kid who doesn't understand basic principles of design. Because even if there was a way to do that, you couldn't possibly navigate the file system without names.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Yeah, I thought removing the menu bar was the most ridiculous inquiry that I had ever seen, but this one beats them all.

I mean really, people, if you want to change something on your machine, at least make it have to do with functionality rather than whether something is a certain color, has or does not have rounded corners, etc.

I think some people spend more time jacking around with trivial things like this rather than, say, writing scripts that could automate a lot of their common tasks, or setting up complex Smart Folders to make searching faster.

There are people who will type "forums.appleinsider.com" over and over into their browser instead of making it a bookmark, but they will agonize over whether a part of the GUI is red or yellow. Not that they have a preference for red or for yellow - they just want to be able to "choose" the color.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Seeing as we are in the realms of the insane...

I suggest renaming all your files using only spaces. Mac OS X allows you to have file names using up to 255 characters, so you can go ahead and name all your files with an ever increasing number of spaces.

• Reply 4 of 5
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

There are people who will type "forums.appleinsider.com" over and over into their browser instead of making it a bookmark

That can be for a reason. I like to memorise as many URLs as possible so I'll be able to use them on public computers.

I guess now I have an iPhone I can stop that habit, but it is the reason why there are only eight bookmarks in my browser's menu.

Amorya
  • Reply 5 of 5
    For that problem ^^^, use a social bookmarking system, or, if you use Firefox, try out Foxmarks. I unfortunately don't use Firefox anymore, but it was great when I did use it. You can access your bookmarks from anywhere with a username and password.