Briefly: More sightings of mysterious metallic grey MacBooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think it makes sense, I'm not sure there's enough separating them. The desktop units are quite clearly delineated, it's much less so with the notebooks.

Graphics and processor speeds separate them.
  • Reply 22 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elt_rbd View Post

Thanks a lot fo all your help

I was already thinking of returning

my Macbook and wait until MWSF

but I won't

Plus I really like it

you do know he is being completely sarcastic and trying to tell you that no matter when you buy one there is always going to be a better one right around the corner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
  • Reply 23 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Don't be so hasty to be sad. There is nothing special available, hardware-wise, to make the Macbook so much more advanced than the one you have got now.

Only open card is the graphics. But as of now, there is zero indication that Apple would move the Macbook to dedicated graphics so soon, if ever.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unruhbrady View Post

you do know he is being completely sarcastic and trying to tell you that no matter when you buy one there is always going to be a better one right around the corner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

That wasn't me stating Moore's law.... plus its obvious

you can't just stop time and pretend that techonlogy isn't going to

advance just because you don't want to have an obsolete computer or other

hardware.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Typically, when Apple upgrades their computers, they become less (not more) advanced than the models they replace. If you're familiar with "Moore's Law," you may be aware that the speed of processors slows down by around half every 18 months. In addition, storage space decreases by half every year! So rest assured, whatever you already own is easily going to trounce whatever new products Apple has in the pipeline.

That is the great thing about buying technology: whatever you buy today will be faster and cheaper than whatever you can buy down the road!

So turn that frown upside down, my friend, and enjoy your new mac. Spec-wise, it's all down hill from here!!!!

Well, I think it is unlikely Apple will intro a major upgrade to the entire line 2 weeks after xmas.We might see a bump, and the intro of the "thin" model. I don't think they are going to intro something that will make folks who just got one for xmas feel bad. I think the Macbook thin will lack an optical drive, will have a solid state HD that is smaller than current offerings. The consolation to folks who bought a macbook will be either lower pricetag and optical drive on the low end macbook, or more storage and an optical drive on the high-end. I think you'll see a major upgrade to the Macbook Pro in March.
  • Reply 25 of 116
    Quote:

The plastic looks cooler, though.

Perhaps Apple is experimenting with a new material altogether, like organic hand-milked spider silk, which is flexible and strong. t.

Spider silk would be light weight, strongest material they could use. It would not be firm enough to to hold hard drives, screens, etc. It would however be excellent on the world wide web.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

An all aluminum lineup though? I think that might start to seem a little dull.

Obviously, you don't remember the Powerbook G4s. 12", 15", 17", all aluminum.
  • Reply 27 of 116
    Quote:

Typically, when Apple upgrades their computers, they become less (not more) advanced than the models they replace. If you're familiar with "Moore's Law," you may be aware that the speed of processors slows down by around half every 18 months. In addition, storage space decreases by half every year! So rest assured, whatever you already own is easily going to trounce whatever new products Apple has in the pipeline.

That is the great thing about buying technology: whatever you buy today will be faster and cheaper than whatever you can buy down the road!

So turn that frown upside down, my friend, and enjoy your new mac. Spec-wise, it's all down hill from here!!!!

Could you spread any more FUD? What a waste of someone's time. They asked a simple question and you sarcastically mocked them.

Yes we always see incremental improvements in the area of GPU, CPU, HDD relative to Apple's previous models.

We don't see the leaps of those three people seem to think Apple should add, but then again we tend to see stuff like GigE, FireWire 800 and 802.11n Wireless before the rest of the Industry.

With the upcoming Penryn we all know the next versions of the entire Mac lineup will change, including the Integrated Graphics.
  • Reply 28 of 116
    Quote:

Thanks a lot fo all your help

I was already thinking of returning

my Macbook and wait until MWSF

but I won't

Plus I really like it

Just enjoy it (and, I have no doubt you will), and move on......
  • Reply 29 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead

A lot of people in these forums have pretty wacky ideas of what is possible and practical and also quite often represent fairly niche buyers. Apple very clearly is going after large mainstream markets these days. That means no 10" 'ultra-portables', no tablets (although a larger iPod touch is probably on the cards) or hybrid models. Apple designs for what most people want and need, with the minimum of fuss or gimmicks.

They also create and define markets. Open your eyes man. A phone with only one main button and a touch screen was a very brave and quite revolutionary move, especially for Apple (they had a lot to lose if it all went wrong). As will the 11" Mac touch. As for hybrids? I can't think of a more un-Apple thing to do. If you don't think Apple's going to do a tablet computer within the next two years you're asleep as far as I'm concerned.

Steve Jobs didn't tout Multi-touch for no reason, the iPhone was just the first page in this rather large and revolutionary novel. First step, show MT to the world, in a way they can understand. Next, bring MT to the iPod. Third move, bring MT to the Mac. "Touch" is where it's at, and Apple knows it.

This isn't just about a tablet for the sake of it, it's about changing the game forever. Apple's going to make it seem last century to use a mouse in the next few years, and the Mac touch will be our first real taster of that. I am so confident a device like this is coming out (before 2009 is over, and maybe even in 2008) that I'm holing off buying an Mac notebook for this reason.

It's a bit like the time I said Apple was most definitely going to do a phone. It didn't take a genius to work out it was only a matter of time. Just like Apple doing a TV, the Mac touch is just a question of when.
  • Reply 30 of 116
    As long as they figure out how to get them to run cooler but that might me asking for a bit much.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    A brand new MacBook that I ordered for my wife was just delivered an hour ago. I'm setting it up now. I don't want to hear about new MacBooks since they were just recently updated to Santa Rosa. Whatever slim 13.3" notebook is being seen now will be a new MacBook Pro, not a MacBook. The MBP line is due for a major update which includes a new case design and Penryn chips. The existing MBP/PB design has been around since 2003. I got my 15" PB in September, 2003, and I want a new MBP with a new case and Penryn. Please, let that be introduced on Jan 15.
  • Reply 32 of 116
    But the public message is great. Apple is so green, when you're read to buy a new machine in two years your old one is recyclable because they made it out of aluminum!!!

The real irony is that Apple is moving back to a line of Grey Boxes - exactly what the Mac Fans have berated the PCs about for so many years... I say, but you're welcome to disagree, the color of the box has nothing to do with the performance of the machine.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Quote:

Well, sure, the MacBook looks impressive, don't touch it, but I predict that within 100 years, computers will be twice as powerful, 10,000 times larger, and so expensive that only the five richest kings of Europe will own them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This isn't just about a tablet for the sake of it, it's about changing the game forever. Apple's going to make it seem last century to use a mouse in the next few years, and the Mac touch will be our first real taster of that. I am so confident a device like this is coming out (before 2009 is over, and maybe even in 2008) that I'm holding off buying an Mac notebook for this reason.

Touch has it's applications, (graphic arts, 3D/architecture design, iPhone, iPod, browsing CoverFlow, so on) but IMHO it will never completely replace the mouse. It just doesn't have the functionality or accuracy.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    this is ridiculous I asked a simple

question and all I get is a wave of

sarcastic comments that actually

makes me think you know less than I do
  • Reply 35 of 116
    Quote:

this is ridiculous I asked a simple

question and all I get is a wave of

sarcastic comments that actually

makes me think you know less than I do

There's a difference between sarcasm and playfulness.
  • Reply 36 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There's a difference between sarcasm and playfulness.

True, but i haven't seen a sense of playfulness in here....
  • Reply 37 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They also create and define markets. Open your eyes man. A phone with only one main button and a touch screen was a very brave and quite revolutionary move, especially for Apple (they had a lot to lose if it all went wrong). As will the 11" Mac touch. As for hybrids? I can't think of a more un-Apple thing to do. If you don't think Apple's going to do a tablet computer within the next two years you're asleep as far as I'm concerned.

Steve Jobs didn't tout Multi-touch for no reason, the iPhone was just the first page in this rather large and revolutionary novel. First step, show MT to the world, in a way they can understand. Next, bring MT to the iPod. Third move, bring MT to the Mac. "Touch" is where it's at, and Apple knows it.

This isn't just about a tablet for the sake of it, it's about changing the game forever. Apple's going to make it seem last century to use a mouse in the next few years, and the Mac touch will be our first real taster of that. I am so confident a device like this is coming out (before 2009 is over, and maybe even in 2008) that I'm holing off buying an Mac notebook for this reason.

It's a bit like the time I said Apple was most definitely going to do a phone. It didn't take a genius to work out it was only a matter of time. Just like Apple doing a TV, the Mac touch is just a question of when.

Wow, you recite Apple marketing drivel as if it were gospel. Apple already do a tablet, the iPod touch and iPhone. Phones are a big mainstream market, and they had a unique product, that's why they entered it. As far as touch screen only phones, its not a new concept, have a look at the mockups people like Synaptics have done for the touch screen technology they sell. Multi-touch is nice, but hardly the cure for world hunger. What would adding it to a laptop bring, exactly, besides added expense? It's be nice to touch the screen, but I'm not sure its worth it. It may require a glass substrate, for instance, meaning it would make it much heavier. Touch screen technology has still got a long way to go before it can replace a keyboard and mouse, if it can at all. Maybe wait until 2015.

As I said, you can have all the fantasies you like, but practical machines for practical people is a different story entirely.
  • Reply 38 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

A brand new MacBook that I ordered for my wife was just delivered an hour ago. I'm setting it up now. I don't want to hear about new MacBooks since they were just recently updated to Santa Rosa. Whatever slim 13.3" notebook is being seen now will be a new MacBook Pro, not a MacBook. The MBP line is due for a major update which includes a new case design and Penryn chips. The existing MBP/PB design has been around since 2003. I got my 15" PB in September, 2003, and I want a new MBP with a new case and Penryn. Please, let that be introduced on Jan 15.

That's almost guaranteed. After 5 years the MBPs need new styling and a new keyboard. They'll probably all be a bit thinner. I think the new thin machine will be a MBP, I can't see why they wouldn't charge a premium for it, $1500 seems a bit cheap.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Touch has it's applications, (graphic arts, 3D/architecture design, iPhone, iPod, browsing CoverFlow, so on) but IMHO it will never completely replace the mouse. It just doesn't have the functionality or accuracy.

Prove it. You are defining touch by apps based on previous UI constraints not multi touch methodology. Apps will become more visual, think Bento, Delicious Library. Even spread sheet apps could benefit. Btw graphic arts is one of Apple largest sectors. The mouse is NOT accurate. Spend some time with a Wacom Cintiq and you may see how the mouse is flawed. Btw apple makes the worst mouse out there. The mighty mouse scroll pea is a joke.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    Wow! Apple certainly have balls. I was given a sneak preview the other day of the new Ultra Portable.

Apparently they are targeting the female/homosexual market...