Cloverfield

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
http://www.cloverfieldmovie.com/

and check out the 'exclusive preview' which is found in the widget below the preview on their site.

It looks like an excellent movie, and an interesting filming style.

1-18-08

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    There is still a lot of debate as to what kind of monster movie it is. Some people even think it's a new Godzilla movie. I doubt it but there is not that much info about it.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

There is still a lot of debate as to what kind of monster movie it is. Some people even think it's a new Godzilla movie. I doubt it but there is not that much info about it.

Well, "I am Legend" turned out to be about Zombies, so you're probably not very far from it. I remember watching "The Forgotten" a few years ago and hoping the whole movie that it wasn't about aliens. It seems that the average creativity in Hollywood is fairly low.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Cthulu, I believe.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Well, "I am Legend" turned out to be about Zombies, so you're probably not very far from it. I remember watching "The Forgotten" a few years ago and hoping the whole movie that it wasn't about aliens. It seems that the average creativity in Hollywood is fairly low.

Zombies... hmm... apparently people don't really understand the story of "I am legend"... the reverse vampire is lost on most.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Zombies... hmm... apparently people don't really understand the story of "I am legend"... the reverse vampire is lost on most.

Does that make it any more interesting?

How about a story about the life of the last man (or woman) alive. Humans will be extinct someday: let's see someone tell that story. I don't know who would be up to it. Kubrick might have been a good choice. But I'm not sure why every apocalyptic story must involve "monsters."
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

How about a story about the life of the last man (or woman) alive. Humans will be extinct someday: let's see someone tell that story. I don't know who would be up to it. Kubrick might have been a good choice. But I'm not sure why every apocalyptic story must involve "monsters."

Already been done. Perfectly.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Already been done. Perfectly.

That's a light-hearted version of what I'm talking about. I was thinking about this some more last night, and Terrence Malick (the director of The Thin Red Line) might be a good choice for such a film.

If anyone is interested in the episode of The Twilight Zone that midwinter mentions, it may be found here.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Oooh! Thanks for that ep!
  • Reply 9 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

That's a light-hearted version of what I'm talking about. I was thinking about this some more last night, and Terrence Malick (the director of The Thin Red Line) might be a good choice for such a film.

It's true. The last man in the world is bound to have plenty of tall grass to walk through while he thinks out loud in sentence fragments.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's true. The last man in the world is bound to have plenty of tall grass to walk through while he thinks out loud in sentence fragments.

Yes: and that's the range of Terrence Malick's abilities.

How many directors can make their audience feel something genuine in such bleak circumstances?

I once watched a discovery program about two cheetah cubs whose mother was killed while they were adolescents. For an hour, I watched them struggle to survive with increasing desperation as it became obvious that they didn't have the ability to make it. Who can capture such a moment? Take your pick.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Yes: and that's the range of Terrence Malick's abilities.

How many directors can make their audience feel something genuine in such bleak circumstances?

I once watched a discovery program about two cheetah cubs whose mother was killed while they were adolescents. For an hour, I watched them struggle to survive with increasing desperation as it became obvious that they didn't have the ability to make it. Who can capture such a moment? Take your pick.

Yep. When I make a little joke about a filmmaker's signature move I'm certainly claiming that that's the extent of his abilities and need to be schooled.

Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Looks like a movie about good looking stupid people.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yep. When I make a little joke about a filmmaker's signature move I'm certainly claiming that that's the extent of his abilities and need to be schooled.

Thanks.

Ooooh! You just schooled yourself about needing to be schooled!
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Certainly. The 200 plus year history of Western European Vampire stories

was already long in the tooth by the time I am Legend was written. The lack of a the vampire is us (or him) story up to that point is pretty unforgivable. Worse yet is the lack of an appreciation for the fact that i am legend is about reversing the story.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

I thought Alfonso Cuarón did a fantastically realistic job with "Children of Men". Though it wasn't the end of mankind, I give him balls to have most of the entire cast die by the end of the film.

Also, the original "Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price is free to download/watch on the Internet Archive.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Sorry to bring this up from the murky depths but here is new info on the movie. Lots of new info.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    I just got a pass for two tickets to see Cloverfield tonight. It's at the Ritz 5 in Philly at 7:30 PM. I get out of work at 6:00 PM and should be able to get to the theater around 6:45 - 7:00 PM.

I wasn't too interested in seeing this (seems WAY to over rated), but since it's free...I'll give it a try. I'll let everyone know what I thought here, if I make it.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Well I made it. No spoilers yet, so I'll be brief...

1. Imagine Blair Witch Project, Godzilla and Aliens, shake it up and you have Cloverfield.

2. The movie moves along at a pretty quick pace, it's only about 80 minutes long.

3. The effects were top-rate, amazing how the melding of the shaky, defocussing camera and effects worked so well. Some scenes really put you right there.

4. Watch the very first minutes of the movie carefully, you'll need it to understand the ending.

Out of ten I give it a nine. The only quibble I have is it's length. It could have gone a little longer.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Well I made it. No spoilers yet, so I'll be brief...

1. Imagine Blair Witch Project, Godzilla and Aliens, shake it up and you have Cloverfield.

2. The movie moves along at a pretty quick pace, it's only about 80 minutes long.

3. The effects were top-rate, amazing how the melding of the shaky, defocussing camera and effects worked so well. Some scenes really put you right there.

4. Watch the very first minutes of the movie carefully, you'll need it to understand the ending.

Out of ten I give it a nine. The only quibble I have is it's length. It could have gone a little longer.

Of all the people who could have seen the preview screenings ... you'd better have a picture of that monster.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Of all the people who could have seen the preview screenings ... you'd better have a picture of that monster.

A spokesperson for Paramount announced before the screening that all cell phones, Blackberries, etc. should be shut off or put away. She also mentioned that there would be "security" with "night-vision devices" to scan the theater as the film ran. Honestly. I've heard of this happening in Hollywood, but Philly?

Anyway, that sketch floating around the internets is close.

You have to see it in action though. This also is classic to the genre in the way this creature is presented slowly, bit by bit and then in your face.

Cloverfield has the monster movie mold, but with a contemporary twist.

I'll stop for now. Go see it. It's worth it.