Permissions problems?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I got this while trying to repair my permissions after a failed update:

Repairing permissions for ?Macintosh HD?

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Is this bad? If so, how do I fix it? Would these in any way cause problems with USB transfers (which I am also experiencing difficulties with)? When I try to transfer off my flashdrive, it says I do not have sufficient privileges to do so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    That likely has something to do with the first damaged item, the "DiskManagementTool". I would say snag a Mac OS X DVD and perform an Archive and Install. Definitely back up, as well.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Maybe try applying the update again if you can. If not, do the archive install as mentioned.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Boot from the install disk. It has the disktool installed on it. Run the disktool from the DVD and try to fix the problem before attempting to reinstall the updates or the operating system.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Ah, man... I just did an archive and install yesterday because the update also caused the infinite-Setup Assistant bug. And I did redo the update (quicktime), but I will try to do the same thing off the DVD... Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Don't waste your time doing an Archive and Install! Those errors are normal. See the Apple Support article titled, "Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions reports issues with SUID files"

Apple Support says you can, "You can safely ignore these messages. They are accurate but not a cause for concern."
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seishi View Post

Don't waste your time doing an Archive and Install! Those errors are normal. See the Apple Support article titled, "Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions reports issues with SUID files"

Apple Support says you can, "You can safely ignore these messages. They are accurate but not a cause for concern."

Ah, sweet, thank you.