Mac Mini Update?!?!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
On bestbuys website it shows both Mini's as being backordered and the Pro which is also rumored to be updated or at least it is time to, anywase does that mean they have stopped shipping Mini's cause they are going to totally redo it?? hopefully!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmoney_2010 View Post

On bestbuys website it shows both Mini's as being backordered and the Pro which is also rumored to be updated or at least it is time to, anywase does that mean they have stopped shipping Mini's cause they are going to totally redo it?? hopefully!!

We can only hope. Sadly, I can see them *finally* updating to Santa Rosa and that's it.

Then in 6 months, we'll see a Penryn update once Apple have updated all the products they want you to buy.

I see so much potential for the Mini but I see how much Apple seem to hate the poor thing. It's painful to watch how they bastardize their best creation.
  • Reply 2 of 110
    I think that a new one is coming at MW that is different than before. I hope it alludes to Jobs' comment about the appleTV recently. I would love to see a combination piece. If it were to have the OS of the Mini with the outputs of the aTV, I would be a proud new owner on the 16th.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaEsperanza View Post

I think that a new one is coming at MW that is different than before. I hope it alludes to Jobs' comment about the appleTV recently. I would love to see a combination piece. If it were to have the OS of the Mini with the outputs of the aTV, I would be a proud new owner on the 16th.

The mini wasn't originally designed yo go under TV's, that's where Apple TV comes in. They are separate products, and they'll stay that way IMO, and for good reasons, many good reasons.
  • Reply 4 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I see so much potential for the Mini but I see how much Apple seem to hate the poor thing. It's painful to watch how they bastardize their best creation.

Best creation? Ha, good one.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The mini wasn't originally designed yo go under TV's, that's where Apple TV comes in. They are separate products, and they'll stay that way IMO, and for good reasons, many good reasons.

Could you list some of those? I respect that you have your reasons, but I am curious what they would be. I just see the potential of the Mini/TV combo competing with media center PC's in a way that Apple has not yet been able to do.

The appleTV is a great idea, but there are a few errors. First, youtube is great, but that is basically all the appleTV has worth mentioning beyond Front Row. It'd be about the same price to get an old Mini and a $20 DVI to HDMI adapter. Mix the Mini with eyeTV and you've got a DVR. For under $1000, you can get a Mini, eyeTV, Harmony remote, DVI adapter, and a FW external. I am waiting to do this for the next big revision, but I'd love to see Steve surprise me by making this into one big package. Drop a nicer remote if need be, but give me an HDMI Mini with TV tuner.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    It's about time for the Mac Mini to die - I hope the don't update it.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a mini update in January.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corvette View Post

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a mini update in January.

Yup I almost bought a refurb 2.0GHz Mini last week...I am holding off until MacWorld
  • Reply 9 of 110
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I actually see good reasons to combine the two. To configure Apple TV to the point that it would be a hot seller they would end up with 95% of a full desktop computer at the same price as a Mini. Change the configuration of the Mini just a little bit and it can be dropped into an incredible number of applications as a low end PC of the Media variety.

To be honest I haven't been following the Mini much as I've gotten the desktop solved for now, I'm much more interested in a tablet. That being said I can see where the Mini could easily morph into a very hot machine with the right I/O. The Trick is that Apple would have to expand their product range a bit. What I would love to see is a home PC, of the media persuasion, that communicates digitally with a high quality multi channel Amplifier. Ideally the family of components would be of the right size. Since the technology has advanced so far the old 19" rack systems are out, I'd like to see a stackable/rackable system that is between 7 inches or 200mm wide.

That would really shake of he component sound system business. The Media center computer then becomes the center of the system instead of the Receiver/preamp of current systems. Apple can leverage its advantages to jump ahead of the rest ofthe industry.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 110
    Why do some of you think the mini should die??? those of you who do think it should "die", do you think it should be replaced with something?? that is in the same price range.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

It's about time for the Mac Mini to die - I hope the don't update it.

Yes. Kill the only Mac that costs less than $1000 new.
  • Reply 12 of 110
    Quote:

what the hell is wrong with a sub $1000 Mac? maybe some people dont want to spend $2500 on a good computer to hook up to a tv on the wall to do basic things like internet and school work
  • Reply 13 of 110
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmoney_2010 View Post

what the hell is wrong with a sub $1000 Mac? maybe some people dont want to spend $2500 on a good computer to hook up to a tv on the wall to do basic things like internet and school work

I think he was being sarcastic, and there doesn't seem to be a 'sarcastic' smily. Wasn't there one before .....?
  • Reply 14 of 110
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

if then can come out with a 19" iMac for $799, why not? but i personally like mac mini , xMac , iMac, Mac Pro line
  • Reply 15 of 110
    The Mac mini and Apple TV really need to morph into one product. I'd like to be able to hook up a Mac to a TV and use it both as a computer and the Apple TV. They should also release a wireless keyboard with a trackpad to sweeten the deal.
  • Reply 16 of 110
    oh ha sorry. it makes sence now but there are others that doo want to kill it so for them WHY???!?
  • Reply 17 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

The Mac mini and Apple TV really need to morph into one product. I'd like to be able to hook up a Mac to a TV and use it both as a computer and the Apple TV. They should also release a wireless keyboard with a trackpad to sweeten the deal.

Bad idea for about 10 reasons. The first, most obvious one being cost.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I actually see good reasons to combine the two. To configure Apple TV to the point that it would be a hot seller they would end up with 95% of a full desktop computer at the same price as a Mini.

The only way Apple TV will be a hit IMO, would be to improve all the things it does, give it one function (an entertainment device), give it a DVD slot to reduce clutter in your set-up while making it far more useful and powerful, give it direct iTunes store connectivity, and give iTunes not only movie rentals, but a TV show subscription service, while at the same time increasing its storage and reducing its cost. Making it a QUOTE "Computer" QUOTE is completely the wrong move IMO. Completely!

You guys surprise me when you say Apple should merge Apple TV and Mac mini.

Be aware most people, as in 95%, are not geeks, they are consumers and house owners who need real solutions, not another convoluted computer in their living room that doesn't know what it wants to be.

As for you people asking for DVR functionality? Who'd need a DVR when you could download any program that airs, at any time you want using your iTunes TV show subscription service. Thus making the DRV completely invalid. And given the gradual speed increase of broadband, you could begin watching immediately.
  • Reply 19 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I think he was being sarcastic, and there doesn't seem to be a 'sarcastic' smily. Wasn't there one before .....?

I thought the eye-rolling smiley did it. Should have known better.

The mini has some flaws- even if it gets updated in January, it won't be a powerhouse computer- but it serves a purpose that needs to be filled. If Apple gets rid of it, and I don't think they will, it will only be to replace it with another model.

Whatever happened to the dream of the $500 Mac?
  • Reply 20 of 110
    Quote:

Whatever happened to the dream of the $500 Mac?

That is MY dream!!!!