Leopard won't install on 1.9Ghz G5 iMac?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Stick in Leopard Upgrade disk, click the installer, click restart, type password, wait for it to restart.

Then; grayish/blue screen with a flashing folder and "?", but the folder is an OS 9-looking folder, with an OS 9 looking Finder icon on it? Tiny folder, seems a little weird.

Yeah, I know about Startup disk, but this just seems a little different.

I have repaired permissions. repaired disk. reset PRAM, all that jazz. The same thing happens when I try to install Leopard.

Perhaps there's a problem with the Power PC part of the disk? I'd love to get this on there, it's an XMas present for someone, along with the 2GB of RAM I got them. On 10.4.11, same thing happened on 10.4.10

Help? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I'm pretty sure it's your disk or your computer. I can say this with confidence because I'm typing this from an iMac G5 w/ isight and the same specs. My installation went without a hitch although it took around 45-50 minutes.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barimzi View Post

I'm pretty sure it's your disk or your computer. I can say this with confidence because I'm typing this from an iMac G5 w/ isight and the same specs. My installation went without a hitch although it took around 45-50 minutes.

The Leopard DVD install disk, or the iMac's hard disk?

Leopard is on a DVD+ Double Layer disk btw. I'm wondering if that's the issue?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    got leopard working on a 1.6 ghz g5 single processor, with 2 cinema displays,

also running apple pro apps(cross grade ver.) seems like a reinstall. I had to erase to 0 level though...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Insert DVD, restart holding down Option key.

See what the Boot screen thinks are the available bootable volumes.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Insert DVD, restart holding down Option key.

See what the Boot screen thinks are the available bootable volumes.

Yeah, I tried that yesterday. It doesn't do the usual though. It brings me to this weird OS 9 looking screen, it's light-gray, there's a clockwise, curved arrow inside a square gray button, and a arrow pointing right inside a another gray square button. There's no mouse cursor visible, but there's a OS 9 like ticker-timer up on the left which isn't movable. Oh, and the fans are roaring while all this is happening, and I can't get out of it without holing down the power button.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Is it a burned disk?

Some older Super drives have problems booting from burned DL disks.

Also, is it a drop in upgrade disk? Sometimes those are machine specific.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Is it a burned disk?

Some older Super drives have problems booting from burned DL disks.

Also, is it a drop in upgrade disk? Sometimes those are machine specific.

Yeah it's a burned backup, thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I could not install from a burned copy I downloaded from my ADC account on a DL DVD. The machine was an older G5 though. I had to create a partition on an external hard drive and install it that way.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

I could not install from a burned copy I downloaded from my ADC account on a DL DVD. The machine was an older G5 though. I had to create a partition on an external hard drive and install it that way.

So what are you going to do if you need to repair disk etc?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    That "OS 9" like screen IS the boot load selector. It shouldn't have a frozen mouse cursor though.

Did you reset the firmware? That is what is driving the boot selector and it appears to be messed up.

Cold Boot holding down command-option-o-f

At prompt, type

reset-nvram

reset-all

Computer should reboot. Hold down Option again to see if there is any change.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So what are you going to do if you need to repair disk etc?

I start up in single user mode and run fsck -fy. And if my drive is so screwed up that I can't start up in single user mode then an fsck won't help much anyway. Then I would boot from my partitioned utility firewire drive that includes Techtool Pro and DiskWarrior.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

That "OS 9" like screen IS the boot load selector. It shouldn't have a frozen mouse cursor though.

Did you reset the firmware? That is what is driving the boot selector and it appears to be messed up.

Cold Boot holding down command-option-o-f

At prompt, type

reset-nvram

reset-all

Computer should reboot. Hold down Option again to see if there is any change.

I've been through what Ireland went through and the only option was to pay for a leopard disk (through work) or restore the dmg to a hard drive partition on an external drive and install. I don't know exactly where the line is drawn but burned DL DVDs cannon be booted on some older SuperDrives. A G5 from the same time had a Sony Superdrive die on it so I replaced it with a brand new DVD-DL drive and surprise surprise it now booted my burned Leopard disk. Weirdness.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

I've been through what Ireland went through and the only option was to pay for a leopard disk (through work) or restore the dmg to a hard drive partition on an external drive and install. I don't know exactly where the line is drawn but burned DL DVDs cannon be booted on some older SuperDrives. A G5 from the same time had a Sony Superdrive die on it so I replaced it with a brand new DVD-DL drive and surprise surprise it now booted my burned Leopard disk. Weirdness.

I tried to install from a single 4.4GB install disk I made up, I got the same non-result. I installed from the actual real disk and it worked, I got Leopard up and running.

I'm still going to try what Lundy suggested and see if that sorts the boot selector issue? That issue it still there.

------------------------------------

Lundy, am I corrent in saying I should type:

reset-nvram (return)

reset-all (return)

Yeah?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Oh yeah, definitely try that. I didn't notice you mentioned a frozen cursor. Also, after it stops spinning, try using the cursor keys to change boot drives if the cursor is still stuck. Then press enter to boot.

The new intel boot loader screen is so much better.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Nah, no dice.

The only way I can boot into disk is to use "official" disk. The single layer or dual layers wont work, and I'm sure they are burned correctly. I've tried everything and listened to all the feedback too.

One thing I noticed is when I put in the "official" disk when on the desktop the installer pops up for me automatically. That doesn't happen for any of the copies.

Oh, and that seems to be the only way to enter Disk Utility too, by slotting in disk when on desktop, and click the installer restart button. Alt doesn't seem to be much good right now for some unknown reason.

I got that frozen cursor to move. Turned out I needed turn off and on my mouse, and the ticker eventually became an actual cursor. No disk appeared though, even when using the official one, only the Macintosh HD. Strange that.