Any news on 10.5.2?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anybody hear anything about 10.5.2? Timeframe it'll be released, what bug fixes will be in it, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Support for the Mac touch
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    From here:

Quote:

Apple is actively working on Leopard to benefit as much as possible from the recently released Intel Mac OS X compiler and libraries, including SSE4 support. Mac OS X 10.5.2 should be released for the keynote and fully takes advantages of the last Intel compiler and libraries. According to our sources, it should be the largest and most important intermediate system update ever released by Apple.

• Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

From here:

The article you linked to mentioned Apple might be using Intel's Itanium 2 chips in the Xserve. Are there any "real" technical benefits to using Itanium instead of core-whatever or is this more of a way to eliminate 32-bit, at least on the server hardware? My understanding of the Itanium is that it is a pure 64-bit chip so the OS and any applications must be 64-bit.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

The article you linked to mentioned Apple might be using Intel's Itanium 2 chips in the Xserve. Are there any "real" technical benefits to using Itanium instead of core-whatever or is this more of a way to eliminate 32-bit, at least on the server hardware? My understanding of the Itanium is that it is a pure 64-bit chip so the OS and any applications must be 64-bit.

Gawd that site is full of it. Penryn 8-Core ??? I hope they meant SMP Quad Core and forget Blue Laser support in 10.5.x. Again the OS has to support HDCP/AACS for both platforms and for Blu-ray they'd have to add BD+ and BD-Java support and HDi for HD DVD. Thinking this type of support can easily come with a point update is foolish. I'll be looking for support by 10.5.5 as long as Apple adds authoring support for HD DVD/Blu-ray at NAB 2008

Apple's not going to use Itanium chips in the near future. There's no reason to with an Intel Pipeline chocked with good X86 parts coming with Harpertown and the Nehalem successor. I think 10.5.2 will contain support for the next Mac Pro, Macbook Pro and any other forthcoming hardware releases in 1H 2008.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

...and forget Blue Laser support in 10.5.x. Again the OS has to support HDCP/AACS for both platforms and for Blu-ray they'd have to add BD+ and BD-Java support and HDi for HD DVD. Thinking this type of support can easily come with a point update is foolish.

They had after that corrected the BD info by explaining the reasons for which this is not going to happen. Not for some time yet at least.

And yes, they mean quad core.