Can you purchase things from US itunes store whilse in the UK?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
It is possible. Are there any back doors. The content on the US itunes is far better. I won't be buying a video ipod until I can get the same content.

Thanks in advance.

J

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There is.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet

It is possible. Are there any back doors. The content on the US itunes is far better. I won't be buying a video ipod until I can get the same content.

Thanks in advance.

J

Yes. It does not matter from where you sign up, it only matters where your billing address is in the iTunes Store account. If you have a US billing address under your account, you can buy from the US store.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

Actually, I'd love to do the opposite. I wholeheartedly believe that the content (except video content) of the UK iTunes store is far better than the US, simply because British Music rulez and American Music sux.

I've got a US iTunes account and I want to download from the UK site (I'm in Hong Kong). How do I do it?

Get a British credit card :/
  • Reply 4 of 31
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Get a British credit card :/

You don't need a British credit card, You just need a UK billing address.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

You don't need a British credit card, You just need a UK billing address.

Right, a billing address that... matches your credit card.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Actually, I'd love to do the opposite. I wholeheartedly believe that the content (except video content) of the UK iTunes store is far better than the US, simply because British Music rulez and American Music sux.

I've got a US iTunes account and I want to download from the UK site (I'm in Hong Kong). How do I do it?

I had the same problem trying to get some British music from the U.S. (and not available on U.S. iTunes) and found it next to impossible without a UK address. But I found a site that takes Paypal in the UK and it is a premier safe and legal site backed by the same investors as eBay.:

http://www.7digital.com/

Try it, you'll like it.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    can anyone give me a US billing address with ZIP and state that i can use because i have had trouble getting one,

thanks in advance
  • Reply 8 of 31
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    That all looks kind of dodgy and too much effort, even if it is legit. It's just stupid that there are even different stores for different countries. What's to stop me going to a local CD shop and buying an imported CD or ordering online from the US or UK (I'm in Australia)? It's just an example of technology imposing greater restrictions and limiting our freedom (same with DRM). So much for globalisation. Globalisation is just code for "we'll take advantage of you and sell you our stuff only when it suits us".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ituneshack View Post

you can find one at anywho.com, or see detailed instuctions here:

• Reply 9 of 31
    I don't have a US credit card, but I do have a US address where I've registered iTunes.I cannot buy iTunes tracks with credit card, but I can buy iTunes gift certificates and add that credit to my US iTunes account.

Now, I don't think there's any way to register a new iTunes account without a matching credit card and billing address... unless I'm mistaken.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    You can access different stores by clicking on the 'flag' at the bottom right on the itunes browser page- this accesses a page with different country's flags- click on the flag you want and it takes you to that store-
  • Reply 11 of 31
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipoda View Post

I don't have a US credit card, but I do have a US address where I've registered iTunes.I cannot buy iTunes tracks with credit card, but I can buy iTunes gift certificates and add that credit to my US iTunes account.

Now, I don't think there's any way to register a new iTunes account without a matching credit card and billing address... unless I'm mistaken.

When you redeem a US gift certificate, it's possible to create a US account without a credit card AFAIK.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Why doesn't Apple come up with some way to have an international market? I see know reason to close the UK market to US customers or the US market to UK customers.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    mrlegsmrlegs Posts: 4member
    I am a UK resident with a US-bought iPad. It weorks brilliantly, but there are a few things, such as Dragon Dictation, only available in the US store.

I followed the Apple guidance for opening an account without a credit card, have bought a valid $15 iTunes voucher and it is still insisting on a credit card, even when I try to download any free apps.

Can anyone help? Does anyone know of any prepay visa services which will give you the card number online?

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrlegs View Post

I am a UK resident with a US-bought iPad. It weorks brilliantly, but there are a few things, such as Dragon Dictation, only available in the US store.

I followed the Apple guidance for opening an account without a credit card, have bought a valid $15 iTunes voucher and it is still insisting on a credit card, even when I try to download any free apps.

Can anyone help? Does anyone know of any prepay visa services which will give you the card number online?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Did you click on "Redeem" before you tried to open the account? That's the trick.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Is there anything I can do now?!
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Is there anything I can do now?!

Yeah. Sign completely out of all of your iTunes accounts. Click "redeem". Open a new account.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yeah. Sign completely out of all of your iTunes accounts. Click "redeem". Open a new account.

That is exactly what I did, the $15 is shown in the top right of my American account. Are you suggesting I risk another $15 for another account? Sorry if I'm being obtuse here!
  • Reply 18 of 31
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:

That is exactly what I did, the $15 is shown in the top right of my American account. Are you suggesting I risk another $15 for another account? Sorry if I'm being obtuse here!

Hmm... then I don't know. Maybe Apple changed the procedure. I've got it working on mine, without a credit card. But I opened my US iTunes account a long long long time ago.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet View Post

Thanks in advance.

J

Yes, you just need a US iTunes gift card and you can sign up for a US account. A good place to get US iTunes gift cards is www.instantgiftcards.net. This is where I get my US gift cards, and the best thing is they deliver the gift cards code in an e-mail right after the purchase. Works pretty darn good!
  • Reply 20 of 31
    nbevannbevan Posts: 1member
    Is it still possible to use a US account from the UK?

I set up an account with a US gift card some years ago, but now when I try to make a purchase I am asked for a credit card with a US billing address before I can use my credit!

Anyone know a workaround?