Piper sees iTunes rentals, new breed of Apple touch games in 08

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mh71 View Post

IIRC, Apple is the number one consumer of NAND memory, gobbling up something like 25% of production. Add to that that Apple also has a reputation for negotiating well and decreasing their costs over time.

This isn't unfinished memory. It's a completed product, much more than bare board level memory chips.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Not sure where I heard this, but II love the sound of it.

This person said "Take the iphone, turn is sidways, make it a bunch bigger, and add a keyboard " "and you have one of the new exciting products Apple will be announcing at MacExpo this year"

He's sure (I'm not sure why) - that the touch screen MacBook Pro will be anounced in January. I said, it might happen, but it's still a year or so away. He smiled and said "We'll see"

Skip

Talk to Clive about citations.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This isn't unfinished memory. It's a completed product, much more than bare board level memory chips.

If I recall correctly, the first version of the iPod mini used a microdrive for storage. At the time, microdrives were still quite expensive. Yet Apple was able to sell the mini at such a low price that people were buying the mini only to tear it apart to get the microdrive out. So, Apple obviously negotiated a price for the microdrive that allowed them to build the rest of the iPod around it and still sell the complete product for less that the retail price of the microdrive itself.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

If I recall correctly, the first version of the iPod mini used a microdrive for storage. At the time, microdrives were still quite expensive. Yet Apple was able to sell the mini at such a low price that people were buying the mini only to tear it apart to get the microdrive out. So, Apple obviously negotiated a price for the microdrive that allowed them to build the rest of the iPod around it and still sell the complete product for less that the retail price of the microdrive itself.

That's true. Actually, all iPod minis used microdrives or other brand 1" CF-type hard drive. iPod nano is when they switched to chips, and that's how the size was reduced so much.

But most of those microdrives were supposed to certain modes diisabled so that people couldn't cannibalize and put them in something else.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

You don't REALLY think they troll the rumors sites, do you?

Read this published by Munster today:

Quote:

he said his latest round of checks now leads him to believe the device will sport a display of approximately 11- to 13-inches.

"That said, we continue to expect the 'ultra-portable' MacBook to be Apple's thinnest and lightest ever. While it may not be as small as we originally expected, we believe this could be the most consumer-friendly way to expand its current lineup of MacBook portables," Munster told clients. "It will likely be [b]priced between the $1,099 consumer level MacBook and the $1,999 MacBook Pro.[b]"

One contributor to the smaller form factor could be the use of NAND-based solid state storage, the analyst added. He noted that in November, Samsung introduced a 64GB drive which he believes Apple would consider large enough to include in a new portable.

"Finally, there are reports that the new portable may include a unique touchpad, possibly using the same multitouch technology used in the iPhone and iPod touch," he wrote.

Read this summary of rumors published on MacRumors last week

Quote:

MacScoop: 12", Ultra-Thin, Optical Drive, Dual Core, $1700-$1800

Appleinsider: 13", aluminum, 50% lighter, Slim, NAND Flash, LED backlit, No Optical Drive

CNBC: 12", 50% Thinner, NAND Flash only (no HDD). $1500

9to5mac: "something strange about the touchpad"

It's obvious they do troll the rumor sites.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Yeah, but Microdrives weren't, and still aren't, doing so well in the sales department. Apple likely sold more Microdrives in one quarter than was sold all the years prior to that quarter, together.

This is different.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joek View Post

Read this published today:

Read this summary of rumors published last week

It's obvious they do troll the rumor sites.

So? That proves nothing. This idea has been in circulation for over a month. It's just as likely the rumors sites picked this up from the analysts reports. You know, they read also. They get their rumors from reports, not from thin air.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

So? That proves nothing. This idea has been in circulation for over a month. It's just as likely the rumors sites picked this up from the analysts reports. You know, they read also. They get their rumors from reports, not from thin air.

So where did Munster get the "unique trackpad" rumor? 9to5mac was the first and only one to report that. It's obvious to everyone else that Munster got it from 9to5mac or from the rumor summary.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

So where did Munster get the "unique trackpad" rumor? 9to5mac was the first and only one to report that. It's obvious to everyone else that Munster got it from 9to5mac or from the rumor summary.

no, it's not. Obvious to someone who want to believe it, maybe. Do you now where they got it from? No, you don't. They could very well have read it somewhere first themselves.

In fact, most all of the rumors I've ever read started from some report at a more news-like site, that read it from a business report. It then filters down to here, and other rumors sites, except for a couple of trashy ones like MOSR, which must have a staff of twenty just coming up with stupid things to write.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

no, it's not. Obvious to someone who want to believe it, maybe. Do you now where they got it from? No, you don't. They could very well have read it somewhere first themselves.

9to5mac has proven they have their own sources (photos of the fat nano).

So, just say it outright if its true: You really don't believe that Gene Munster whose job it is to follow Apple products and releases does not read any of the rumor sites, who have accurately predicted many new releases?
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

9to5mac has proven they have their own sources (photos of the fat nano).

So, just say it outright if its true: You really don't believe that Gene Munster whose job it is to follow Apple products and releases does not read any of the rumor sites, who have accurately predicted many new releases?

Gee, how many times should I say it? No, I don't think he even cares they exist.

And if a rumors site has sources, you don't think he has better ones?

No, don't bother to answer.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

Gee, how many times should I say it? No, I don't think he even cares they exist.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...er_rumors.html

Quote:

Munster, referencing the MacRumors buyers guide, added that it has been nearly 300 days since Apple has had anything to say about its top-selling desktop system, well beyond the average 168 days between previous upgrade cycles.

• Reply 33 of 34
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

iTunes rentals plus an aTV update would have HUGE potential to give that whole section of apple's business a boost. I hope we see it sooner rather than later.

Why would I buy an Apple TV in order to rent movies that I can already get via cable? Is there some advantage that isn't obvious?

The video issues are different than audio. A 3 minute song costs very little to make yet yields just as much entertainment as a 1.5 hour movie. Then there's the buy versus rent problem. Do people want to view videos more than once? Certainly some shows would fall into that category.

The reason the iPod has become so popular is that mp3 songs were easy to steal. At 99cents it's no longer clear if stealing is worth it. I guess that's why iTunes is popular. Now with video the price becomes an issue and it's not quite as easy to steal a 1-2 gig file. If it were, and if the Apple TV could play it, then there would be more out there. A lot of getting stuff for free drives sales. That's why recorders have been popular and the whole MediaPC/DiVX player thing.

Hardware sales have been driven in large part by the ability to get stuff for free. As that dries up hardware sales will drop and that is why I don't see the Apple TV (or similar devices) as being the way to go. I always felt the Mini was the right approach to the HDTV screen popularity increase.

It's all hard to say. I don't think anyone knows. The one thing that seems sure is that people do not want to spend as much on digital entertainment as the media companies dream of.

philip
  • Reply 34 of 34

Ok, so he read their buyers guide. Big deal.

I knew you were trying to maneuver me into it.