Disk Utility Sofware Recommendation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got a MacBook Pro and I friend of mine who has a couple of Macs tells me that I should get disk utility software since Macs don't have a defrag utility. He recommended Disk Warrior. I have looked at the reviews of Disk Warrior and there seems to be a number of negative reviews. I have also looked at the reveiws of Drive Genius and I see some negative reviews on this product - especially about the defrag utility screwing up their hard drives. Of course, there were a lot of positve reviews as well for both products.

I'm planning on purchasing Drive Warrior. Is this the correct choice? Is there something else that I should consider instead? Cost is not an issue. When it comes to this type of software, I want to get the best product. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Mac OS X defrags small files on-the-fly so you don't have to. Your drive will still get fragmented but it shouldn't really affect the performance of OS X.

Anyway, the easiest and safest way to defrag your drive is to get an external drive, clone your system to it using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, reformat the internal and then clone your system back again. The whole process takes about 2-3 hours but it depends on the size of your drive.

In summary, you don't really need to defrag OS X to ensure performance stays acceptable but if you need to for reasons such as Bootcamp not being able to partition your drive, a clone, format, clone sorts it out.