Problem accessing visual voicemail

steste
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I've had my iPhone about three months, and until recently everything was hunky dory. Now, in the last couple of weeks, visual voicemail has stopped working. Whenever I access the feature, I get a popup screen that says "Voicemail unavailable - unable to initiate connection". At first I thought it was just a location problem, but this is happening all the time, wherever I go in the city.

I had an extensive three-way telephone chat on Friday with Apple and AT&T. They were both very nice, and we went through several attempts to fix the problem, including removing the sim card, resetting the phone, etc. None of this worked. The AT&T guy insisted that all the settings were correct from his end, and insinuated that it was a hardware issue. The lady from Apple was having none of that, and was basically of the opinion that this is a network issue -- which I tend to agree with.

I didn't have my MBP with me at the time, so the Apple lady asked me to try doing a full restore via iTunes when I got home. This I did, and the problem is still present.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem with visual voicemail, and if so, how was it resolved?

(For the record, my iPhone is not hacked, and is running 1.1.2)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

I've had my iPhone about three months, and until recently everything was hunky dory. Now, in the last couple of weeks, visual voicemail has stopped working. Whenever I access the feature, I get a popup screen that says "Voicemail unavailable - unable to initiate connection". At first I thought it was just a location problem, but this is happening all the time, wherever I go in the city.

I had an extensive three-way telephone chat on Friday with Apple and AT&T. They were both very nice, and we went through several attempts to fix the problem, including removing the sim card, resetting the phone, etc. None of this worked. The AT&T guy insisted that all the settings were correct from his end, and insinuated that it was a hardware issue. The lady from Apple was having none of that, and was basically of the opinion that this is a network issue -- which I tend to agree with.

I didn't have my MBP with me at the time, so the Apple lady asked me to try doing a full restore via iTunes when I got home. This I did, and the problem is still present.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem with visual voicemail, and if so, how was it resolved?

(For the record, my iPhone is not hacked, and is running 1.1.2)

Thanks in advance.

I can throw this in for you (and i hope it helps because I specifically registered just to help you hehe):

Anyway when I got my phone my visual voicemail NEVER worked. I went to the Apple store and they said it was AT&T's fault. I ended up at an AT&T store and the guy finally called whoever could help and they had to completely take the feature off my bill or something and then put it back on. I think they like deactivated my whole phone in the process because he warned me that the bill would be funky high (probably reactivation fees) and that i would need to call to get that fixed. Anyway whatever they did worked as I shut off my iphone, turned it back on, and had visual voicemail. So moral of story: GO TO AT&T. It's their fault. Not apple's. Hunt them down. good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    steste Posts: 119member
    Thanks for the feedback, 007. And thanks for registering to answer my question. (Stick around some, you might like it!)

My frustration level with AT&T is at an all-time high right now, and quite honestly I do not relish having to explain all this again to some gimp at one of the local stores. I am calling Apple back today, as the lady there was a lot more receptive to the problem than the guy at AT&T, although I do believe the problem lies with AT&T.

I'll certainly mention your solution to both parties when I speak with them.

Cheers.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    steste Posts: 119member
    After another lengthy three-way phone call, this issue is finally resolved. AT&T did, indeed, have to remove the voicemail feature then I had to set it up again from scratch, including choosing a password and re-recording my greeting.

Why they couldn't have done this the first time is beyond me. The guy said it was a common problem, so I guess they just have a training issue at AT&T.

It remains to be seen whether this will have a "funky high" effect on my bill.

Thanks again to 007.