DVD-RAM or not?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there, I've got a simple but important question:

Can the Superdrive read/write DVD-RAM media

I've been using them quite alot with my current Thinkpad, and like them.

They maybe slow, but they're reliable and one of my preferred storages.

Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I believe it will read, but I'm pretty sure it won't write.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

Can the Superdrive read/write DVD-RAM media

Read yes, write no as mentioned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

I've been using them quite alot with my current Thinkpad, and like them.

They maybe slow, but they're reliable and one of my preferred storages.

I actually used them for quick backups at one point and I thought they were great. That was until a few weeks later, I copied something across and the copy raised no errors. Then I tried to read it again and it just wouldn't.

I ditched DVD-Ram for a hard drive. I use a portable USB2 60GB for going between home and work and I keep some backups there. I use a firewire drive to clone my system. I use a 500GB USB2 drive to keep another system clone and also all my DVD backups for quick access. I regularly burn DVD-rom for permanent backup of stuff (every 2 weeks or so). I also backup my changing data to DVD+RW every month or thereabouts.

I don't use DVD-Ram at all except in my DVD-Ram video recorder as DVD+RW is so much quicker. I'm considering changing to a hard drive based recorder soon too as I've been getting random read errors for a while.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I actually used them for quick backups at one point and I thought they were great. That was until a few weeks later, I copied something across and the copy raised no errors. Then I tried to read it again and it just wouldn't.

I ditched DVD-Ram for a hard drive. I use a portable USB2 60GB for going between home and work and I keep some backups there. I use a firewire drive to clone my system. I use a 500GB USB2 drive to keep another system clone and also all my DVD backups for quick access. I regularly burn DVD-rom for permanent backup of stuff (every 2 weeks or so). I also backup my changing data to DVD+RW every month or thereabouts.

I don't use DVD-Ram at all except in my DVD-Ram video recorder as DVD+RW is so much quicker. I'm considering changing to a hard drive based recorder soon too as I've been getting random read errors for a while.

Good boy! Exemplary!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    @Marvin

data security FTW!

When I buy my Apple laptop after the upcoming Macworld it'll look like this:
    • 250GB to 320GB internal HD

• 750GB to 1TB external HD via FW400 or FW800 (if available)

• 120GB ext. 2.5" HD via FW400/800 or USB2.0 for small backups of changing data and media

• 80GB ext. 3,5" HD at my parents for my important data (additional backup)

--- --- ---

Right now I use 2 DVD-RAM discs apart from my usuall backups (type: Panasonic Hard Black DVD-RAM LM-AF120LSDE):

One I use for backing up changing data and one in case I need space on my HD and I just put data there, that needs further processing before being burned on a DVD-R.

I have never encountered even one error before.

Guess I was lucky.

Still I think this is a nice way to put data away or secure it.

If the DVD-drive of the MacBook could only read it...

Well, I'd be able to cope with that.

I think I'll call the Apple Store and ask those guys, they should know.

Thanks for your help, and I'll post the answer I get.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Ok, I've talked to a very friendly Apple technician over in Ireland.

He checked his database on the specs of the current superdrives.

No Superdrive since the switch to Intel seems to support DVD-RAM.

More clearly:

Current Superdrives do neither read nor write DVD-RAM.

(As the ones in the 2.2GHz MacBooks.)

Now that I knew this as a fact I went home and wept...

... for about 5 minutes.

After those 5 minutes I took a first glance at the 16GB Corsair Voyager USB-flash-memory.

Goodbye to you DVD-RAM, by the end of January 2008 we part ways.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Closed at OP request