Mac OS X 10.5.2 to deliver sprawling list of fixes for Leopard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Front Row 2.0, on my grandparent's iMac, doesn't play music as assigned in iTunes, it just plays it locally on the computer instead of using AirTunes to play it over their house. Additionally, it stops playing once you quit it (as it looks like it now plays music directly and doesn't rely on iTunes to do it.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreil View Post

Front Row 2.0, on my grandparent's iMac, doesn't play music as assigned in iTunes, it just plays it locally on the computer instead of using AirTunes to play it over their house. Additionally, it stops playing once you quit it (as it looks like it now plays music directly and doesn't rely on iTunes to do it.

From what I've heard I think AirTunes support is currently not built into FR2.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    76 bugs fixes?

For Leopard?

At this rate, it'll be 10.5.8 before Leopard is release quality.

I hope that at an absolute minimum the network and mail hanging problems are fixed. After those two, I hope that Apple is listing 76 bug fixes, but they have quietly fixed hundreds and hundreds of bugs.

Leopard is a train wreck right now, which is a shame because it's could have been a nice little upgrade.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

What's broke in Front Row? It works so much better now, well to me anyway.

Front row is supposed to allow me to control my media from my mac, esp. using my remote control.

...Except that I can't use Front Row to stream my music in iTunes to my Stereo....

...And I can't get around that by just using iTunes, because the remote does not operate on the iTunes volume control, but the system volume control...

So pretty much, if I want to use Front Row, ... well I can't. It's currently not feasible to use Front Row to control music properly through AirTunes. Not possible at all. I have a useless remote. I thought Front Row was supposed to EASE access to content. Sure as hell not doing that, as it makes it a lot harder to access it *properly* for me.

Ha. I know why they call it Front Row; you have to be sitting that close to make it work, so you can reach all the controls on your system....
  • Reply 25 of 71
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

From what I've heard I think AirTunes support is currently not built into FR2.

Yeah, it's not. It's incredibly annoying.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    so what about the UI!?? are they gonna make it consistant, or is it gonna be this ugly mix of different styles everywhere!?? as of now, it looks bad!

I'd love something more clear…*whiteish colour instead of this boring greyish metal.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    I'd also like to see the automatic iDisk syncing setting hanging up Restarts/Shut Downs fixed. I'm currently having to leave my iDisk syncing set to manual to permit me to restart my new iMac. It's a work around, but not very satisfactory. Whenever I add/delete items to my iDisk, I have to manually click on the sync icon in a window to update .Mac.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    I'm wishing that each show would have their own folders if there are multiple episodes.

I also wish you could categorize movies by Genre.

I also wish that AppleTV had a DVD player built in. Yes I could buy the mini but then the price is a lot higher for what it is and I just can't justify it yet.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    10.5 is quite bugging with hangs and stalls! I have both a G5 and Intel and both have these issues. Sometimes i just site and watch the pinwheel spin and spin. Even coming out of sleep on the Intel takes forever!!

I hope stability and speed are hot on the list
  • Reply 30 of 71
    I initially had difficulty upgrading to 10.5.0, so I tried archiving Tiger and installing Leo; then, ultimately I clean installed it with no trouble. Since then, it's been a far more stable experience than my upgrade to Tiger from Panther. And, as compared to the stable version of Tiger I used prior the install, it's really six of one... In fact, I'm surprised to hear that there are so many bugs to fix!

So, if any of you (especially PowerPC users) truly feel that Leo's a "train wreck" — and I don't mean because you're not happy with Spaces' features or GUI color choices — I recommend backing up your home folder and performing a clean install. The question then would become, now or when the 10.5.2 update's released (and tested)... which only you can answer.

Now, whatever happened to those rumors that Leo would add features to my iPhone? Or that there would be iPhone firmware updates that would add features? And you know all the features I'm referring to... Riddle me this: how come there are To-do's in Mail, a Mail calendar in iCal, and a To-do IMAP folder in my iPhone Mail app with To-do emails... but there aren't To-do's in my iPhone calendar app where they belong!

First Apple told us, no, you don't want Address Book, iCal, and Mail all bundled in the same app (a la Entourage), now they've confused robust with redundant. And the worst thing is that Palm — Palm, people — and The Missing Sync have gotten that one thing right for years. So, I'm forced to use a Web 2.0 app on AT&T's EDGE network... and we all know how well that works.

Thanks, I had to get that off my chest.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

76 bugs fixes?

For Leopard?

At this rate, it'll be 10.5.8 before Leopard is release quality.

I hope that at an absolute minimum the network and mail hanging problems are fixed. After those two, I hope that Apple is listing 76 bug fixes, but they have quietly fixed hundreds and hundreds of bugs.

Leopard is a train wreck right now, which is a shame because it's could have been a nice little upgrade.

can you even name 76 things that need to be fixed lol? thought so.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

can you even name 76 things that need to be fixed lol? thought so.

Lot more than 76 items fixed, I hear. I'm also told that the whole Dock/Folders in Dock/Stacks mess now works like it should...
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Safari crashes A LOT. Please fix!
  • Reply 34 of 71
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I just gotta say that I did a fresh install of Leopard on a PowerBook G4 (!) and Leopard has given me NONE of the issues you all mention above. No strange Mail experiences, no hang-ups, no problems AT ALL. For the record I use a Mac (iMac G5) all day at work and the PowerBook each morning and night.

So, I feel for you all, but as a pretty discerning person who doesn't put up with crap from anyone -- last of all from my computer OS -- I have to say that my Leopard experience has been flawless. Perhaps, as someone else suggested, you need to reinstall.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Ok, I had one problem that that was Logitech's fault for using APE for their keyboard and mouse drivers. Once that was fixed, zero other problems.

My new mac is one of the white 24" iMacs. I imported my user accounts and programs from my 800mhz G4 iMac lamp. And when Leopard came out I did an archive and installed.

For me it has been great. Zero regrets about getting and installed Leopard. I love TimeMachine, I look QuickLook, I actually don't mind the new dock and the lights or whatever you call the things that show which apps are running. It's been great!
  • Reply 36 of 71
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I have a brand new MacBook and I did notice the keyboard issue, but they fixed that the other day.

So far I haven't noticed anything else hanging, but I actually haven't dug too deep yet.

I just transferred my iTunes content over. I'm not too impressed with FrontRow. Maybe it would be nice to have some special effects displaying when music plays. Shouldn't Core Animation handle that well so FrontRow can get that feature add?

FrontRow's remote navigation isn't quite right. Pressing the left or right side of the control wheel should take you up or down the hierarchy. Why do I have to do this with the menu and center button respectively?

iTunes seems a little buggy on Leopard. Getting album artwork was a bit of a chore.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    I've been using Leopard since the day it was released. Did an upgrade on 2 Macbook Pros, and a Mac Pro. Have basically had no issues at all, everything has been great. There were a few 3rd party things that needed updates, but thats all taken care of and working great. As wonderful as Leopard has been, I just cant believe all these people yelling and screaming about problems.... half the time I think it must be Windows zealots trying to cause trouble by making things up.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    It would be good to have an option to allow the music to continue when you exist front row, as was the case with front row in Tiger.

Also, is it prudent to restore the dock to the standard configuration before upgrading to 10.5.2 (when it comes out)? I have swapped out the dock images (although I still have the originals backed up).
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

Ok, I had one problem that that was Logitech's fault for using APE for their keyboard and mouse drivers. Once that was fixed, zero other problems.

My new mac is one of the white 24" iMacs. I imported my user accounts and programs from my 800mhz G4 iMac lamp. And when Leopard came out I did an archive and installed.

For me it has been great. Zero regrets about getting and installed Leopard. I love TimeMachine, I look QuickLook, I actually don't mind the new dock and the lights or whatever you call the things that show which apps are running. It's been great!

What processor and speed white 24" iMac?

I too have not had any problems with Leopard after new installs on both a Quad G5 and a Quad 2.66 Mac Pro. But I did have bumps in the transition involving having to manually get mail and my address book over to Leopard. Only because I left my old 1.25GHz G4 PB on Tiger did I make the transition with less than a catastrophic loss of my address book and email.

The G5 install appeared to STALL and I shut it down probably sooner than I should have waited much longer. The Mac Pro install was remarkably FAST - less than 30 minutes with no problems at all.

But once past the beginning of the transition, Leopard seems more solid that Tiger ever was. I rarely experience any types of crashes that I did have with Tiger more frequently. I also just added a lot of RAM to both. Quad G5 now has 10GB (4x2+2x1) and the Mac Pro has 12GB (4x2+4x1).
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

God, I hope they give you the option of switching off Stacks

Your wish is been heard. List view is back.