MacBook Pro Cooling Pad Recommendations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have just purchased a 15.4" MacBook Pro. In researching this notebook, I have noticed that it seems to have heat issues when running games, playing DVDs and possibly when running XP in Bootcamp. I was wondering if any of you have purchased cooling pads for your MacBook Pro and if so, which one did you purchase and what is your evaulation of it? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    There's no comparison -- get an iLap:

http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

It's aluminum and the Macbook Pro's rubber pads will keep it a fraction of an inch above the aluminum allowing the heat to dissapate and it stays remarkably cool. I have one and use it constantly -- and my MBP seems to stay MUCH cooler than when on my lap or the table.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks for the recommendation. That's the kind of response I was hoping for.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    iLap is nice if you like the big comfortable handrests.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

iLap is nice if you like the big comfortable handrests.

I used a flexible fanless cooling pad...it was like $50. I used for a Alubook, which was MUCH hotter than the MBP. I can't find the link anymore, but it worked well. It was light and portable. My main goal was to keep my lap from burning up.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I used a flexible fanless cooling pad...it was like $50. I used for a Alubook, which was MUCH hotter than the MBP. I can't find the link anymore, but it worked well. It was light and portable. My main goal was to keep my lap from burning up.

For fan-driven active cooling, I like this:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...t.asp?code=030

Only if you are running very intense applications all day,

otherwise fanless is good enough.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I am the only one that like their keyboard flat? All of these seem to tip it forward?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I am the only one that like their keyboard flat? All of these seem to tip it forward?

I like my keyboards on a very slight angle, maybe 5-10 degrees at most.

(Note: Damn these PC's and their keyboards! My Macs can insert a degree symbol using Opt-Shift-8, but nooooo, not Windows. I really hope my iMac finishes it's 200GB+ data migration soon.)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I'm the guy at work that is always popping the feet down on all the public keyboards. I think I might even like an inverse angle if I could do with a notebook (easily).