Apple to tweak 'Stacks' in Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Faced with criticism over the implementation of a new desktop organizational feature of its recently-released Leopard operating system, Apple Inc. is reported to be implementing some refinements as part of an upcoming update to the system software.

Mac OS X 10.5.2, due early next year as a free maintenance and security release for Leopard users, will pack a plethora of bug fixes and code corrections, but also include revised version of the system's Stacks feature.

A stack is a Mac OS X Dock item that aims to provide users with fast access to a folder of files. When users click a stack, the files within spring from the Dock in a fan or a grid, depending on the number of items or the preference set by the user.

The feature was conceived as a means of tackling the ever-growing problem faced by users when file downloads and general system usage rapidly results in a cluttering of the Mac OS X desktop. The implementation of the feature, however, was been met with some harsh initial criticism.

"There's just not enough room in a single Dock tile for a stack of icons to convey any meaningful information," wrote ArsTechinca's John Siracusa in his in-depth review of Leopard following its release. "Only the top one, two, maybe three items have any visual impact. And those few items may be misleading (e.g., the home folder appearing to be the Desktop folder) or completely generic (e.g., the Pictures and Movies folders showing up as plain folder icons.) Seriously, Apple, this is a bad idea."

A screenshot of the revised Stacks interface published by Macenstein.

Mac OS X 10.5.2 will reportedly add a missing "list view" to stacks that many pundits argue should have been there from the start. In addition, users will also reportedly be presented with the option to display a stack as a plain pile of files -- as Apple originally intended it -- or as an icon "so you know what you?re looking at."

The first private builds of Mac OS X 10.5.2 began making their way into developer's hands earlier this week. Rumblings around the Web have suggested the software could arrive mid-January, complete with support for a new wave of Mac systems based on Intel's upcoming 45-nanometer Penryn-based processors.

For more on Stacks, please see An Introductory Mac OS X Leopard Review: Meet Your New Desktop and Road to Mac OS X Leopard: Dock 1.6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Indeed a welcome change.

And now, please give me the old iCal back.. the new one is a PITA to use and is packed with bugs.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Does this mean we can once again view the regular old folder icons?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    I don't see why Apple doesn't make the Fan view scrollable with a mouse's scroll-wheel.

I guess that would make too much sense!
  • Reply 4 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I haven't had a problem with it as it is. I've always simply had a large folder open in the Finder anyway, and I go through it that way. But, removing features, as jobs once said in response to a question about iPods, is almost impossible. Once a feature is there, even if few use it, it's more noticeable by it's removal, then it ever was by its inclusion.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

I don't see why Apple doesn't make the Fan view scrollable with a mouse's scroll-wheel.

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!

The only stack I really use is the downloads stack.. I thought I'd use one for my applications folder, but instead I've just been using spotlight.. It really is a killer app launcher.

The list view on stacks would just be the old tiger right click on a folder type of thing right? I guess it should've been left in Leopard in the first place but I haven't missed it. I guess some people just love navigating lists...
  • Reply 6 of 40
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:

x2

The improvement is awesome though.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    About time. It was idiotic to not have this as an option from the start.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Will the Tweaked version of stacks address the following issue.

For example, I create a folder within applications called 'Photography' and drag across all the Photography apps that I use on a regular basis for my workflow, I then drag this folder onto the Dock. The new stack and all it's apps work fine but... run 'software update' and it can't find the apps in the newly created folder, possibly missing updates.

thoughts

Paul
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quarky View Post

Will the Tweaked version of stacks address the following issue.

For example, I create a folder within applications called 'Photography' and drag across all the Photography apps that I use on a regular basis for my workflow, I then drag this folder onto the Dock. The new stack and all it's apps work fine but... run 'software update' and it can't find the apps in the newly created folder, possibly missing updates.

thoughts

Paul

Don't move the apps. Just make a "Photography" folder and drag in aliases to the apps. Software update will work correctly and the aliases will point to the new versions.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:

You know, I'm wondering.....maybe they already are...and nobody noticed it yet...
  • Reply 11 of 40
    The other thing I HATE about stacks is that you can't quicklook a stack item.

So if you want to see a file in your stack the quickest way is to drag to the desktop and hit space, which obviously defeats the whole point of stacks!
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

You know, I'm wondering.....maybe they already are...and nobody noticed it yet...

Why didn't you try that before posting that no one tried it?
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

The other thing I HATE about stacks is that you can't quicklook a stack item.

So if you want to see a file in your stack the quickest way is to drag to the desktop and hit space, which obviously defeats the whole point of stacks!

You do have a number of choices even before you drag it to the desktop. Click on the folder in the Dock, and hold for a moment, whereupon a menu will open, allowing you to make a choice as to how you want to open it.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You do have a number of choices even before you drag it to the desktop. Click on the folder in the Dock, and hold for a moment, whereupon a menu will open, allowing you to make a choice as to how you want to open it.

Thats much slower than dragging to desktop!

The quickest way at the moment is to apple-click on the file in the stack then hit space, would be great if you could space-click to open straight into quicklook
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

Thats much slower than dragging to desktop!

The quickest way at the moment is to apple-click on the file in the stack then hit space, would be great if you could space-click to open straight into quicklook

I'll tell you something. I've never found the second's saving to ever have effected my use of the machines I've used. Even if you do it 60 times a day, you will at most, save an entire minute. No one can ever make a real case that it effects their productivity.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    yamayama Posts: 427member

By the looks of this screenshot they've also tweaked the look of the 3D Dock so that it's darker and has a proper border. It looks much nicer, and more similar to the 2D Dock you get when putting it on the side of the screen. I wonder if they also got rid of the silly shadows behind the icons... It's difficult to tell with such a dark desktop.

Ahh, Apple - many thanks all round!
  • Reply 17 of 40
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    That's a custom dock. I'm pretty sure at least.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope they implement Drawers, like the ones shown in the image above.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'll tell you something. I've never found the second's saving to ever have effected my use of the machines I've used. Even if you do it 60 times a day, you will at most, save an entire minute. No one can ever make a real case that it effects their productivity.

It's not the time it takes to do that particular function but the fact that concentration is diverted to yet another 'task'.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Now if they fix the Airport Printing issue, the Securely Emptying Trash and the Repair permissions errors, I will stop making this face