Mac OS X 10.5.2 to deliver sprawling list of fixes for Leopard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

Your wish is been heard. List view is back.

Yeah, that's pretty sweet.

Is this a universal preference or folder specific?

For some I think I would like stacks, and list view for others.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Some pics of the fixed stacks implementation...

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/983

Thank god. The current implementation is an interface abomination.

But it looks like all of our complaints have been addressed.
  • Reply 43 of 71
    One word: Active Directory Authentication

Okay, so it was three words. Doesn't change the fact that it's BROKEN in 10.5 and 10.5.1! Yes, I can browse the AD, I can get single-sign-on-like functionality by setting a local user name with same credentials as an AD user, and I can browse the Directory.

But signing on to the Mac, authenticating with the AD Server, fails. I have documents in there I need! I have several users who would like to use their Macs and the environment they've set up. Imagine trashing your account, and having to start from scratch?

More on this here.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Yeah, and while we're on that rant...

Maybe they'll fix how you can't join a workgroup in 10.5 when using the "default" location in network preferences.

(Couple days of my life down the tubes because of that bug. )
  • Reply 45 of 71
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

Your wish is been heard. List view is back.

I know, isn't it WONDERFUL
  • Reply 46 of 71
    And what about letting us choose WHAT TO BACKUP instead of letting us choose WHAT TO NOT BACKUP with TimeMachine?
  • Reply 47 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

What processor and speed white 24" iMac?

I too have not had any problems with Leopard after new installs on both a Quad G5 and a Quad 2.66 Mac Pro. But I did have bumps in the transition involving having to manually get mail and my address book over to Leopard. Only because I left my old 1.25GHz G4 PB on Tiger did I make the transition with less than a catastrophic loss of my address book and email.

The G5 install appeared to STALL and I shut it down probably sooner than I should have waited much longer. The Mac Pro install was remarkably FAST - less than 30 minutes with no problems at all.

But once past the beginning of the transition, Leopard seems more solid that Tiger ever was. I rarely experience any types of crashes that I did have with Tiger more frequently. I also just added a lot of RAM to both. Quad G5 now has 10GB (4x2+2x1) and the Mac Pro has 12GB (4x2+4x1).

Have to agree with all the positives. No serious problems with Leopard - Joy to use. Time machine is unbelievable. I'm backing up multiple machines over the network and it has already saved several situations including a complete reinstall when my logic board went on an older G5. The restore was really 1-button, even restore my custom stuff like MySQL databases, kext driver for a USB to RS232 interface and kext driver for X10/USB interface. The only thing I had to hand edit afterwards was re-enable php5 in the apache conf file. Time machine alone worth the upgrade. Everything is much much smoother. Multi-threaded Finder is great.

Re: Mail oddities - I've had this in Tiger - rebuild each mail box that usually fixes it.

Only problem I have is some twist on my disk is causing Spotlight indexes to be incomplete. I filed a bug report and have had several back and forths with the engineers. Hope to see that fixed soon.

Also, I love stacks. Never used the hierarchical folders in the dock but do use stacks. To each his own. Its good that their bringing back the other choice.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    My Airport card was never stable under Leopard...I gave up trying to switched to Tiger. Life is good again...
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

can you even name 76 things that need to be fixed lol? thought so.

You're joking right?

Here's one I just found, moments ago:

1. Turn on Spaces

2. Assign Safari to a specific space

3. Assign some other apps to other spaces

4. Turn off Spaces

5. Reboot

6. Open Safari

There is absolutely no way to get to any Safari window because it is locked in a different space, despite Spaces being turned off. You can minimize the Window from the menu and see it in the dock, and if you zoom or "maximize" the Safari window again, you see nothing.

Solution:

1. Turn on Spaces

2. Delete application assignment

The moment you turn off the assignment, Safari appears, no matter which space you currently are in. Funny thing is this is only for Safari. All other apps behave normally.

You can't seriously think people can't name 76 bugs. You can't be that much of an apologist.

I love well designed products like the day is long, so accordingly, I spend a lot of money with Apple and am an enthusiast.

But posts like yours are why the Mac community get a bad name.

True Apple loyalists hammer Apple when they screw up. And yes, Leopard was released months prematurely. (And if you are confused as to why, try backing up your most valuable data, say family pictures to an external drive, and during the copy, unplug the drive. You'll see what a Class One bug in a production Operating System looks like.)
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

You're joking right?

And yes, Leopard was released months prematurely. (And if you are confused as to why, try backing up your most valuable data, say family pictures to an external drive, and during the copy, unplug the drive. You'll see what a Class One bug in a production Operating System looks like.)

Not even close to pre-mature. There are pros and cons to every change and the pros to Leopard far outweighed the Cons IMO. You picked two insignificant and/or rare instances as illustrations. Anyone who unplugs an external drive during a copy deserves what they get. Should it be fixed, of course, should it hold up a release with so many other benefits, not a chance. This is not apologist talk but just common sense (which of course is not that common).

As to the Safari bug, a big so what. Again, should it fixed, of course, but again hold up a release - no way.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Not even close to pre-mature. There are pros and cons to every change and the pros to Leopard far outweighed the Cons IMO. You picked two insignificant and/or rare instances as illustrations. Anyone who unplugs an external drive during a copy deserves what they get. Should it be fixed, of course, should it hold up a release with so many other benefits, not a chance. This is not apologist talk but just common sense (which of course is not that common).

As to the Safari bug, a big so what. Again, should it fixed, of course, but again hold up a release - no way.

How about the keyboard unresponsiveness in laptops or continual dropped wireless connection that thousands of people were complaining about at apple.com until Apple shut down the thread.

Hardly two insignificant flaws.

Apple apologists need to learn that our job is to recognize when Apple is pulling a fast one.

And Leopard simply was not ready. Let's hope with 10.5.2 gets it to the quality level we expect from Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

And Leopard simply was not ready.

People on this board have said that about every release of OS X to date, and it eventually starts to ring a little hollow.

If you're a professional and rely on your computer for your livelihood, well, it's probably not too smart to jump on the latest major release of any OS.

For your average home user, I'd wager Leopard has been just fine for the large, large majority.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Good news that they have reinstated the hierarchical list menu on docked folders. It was not something that particularly effected me but I could see how it was retrograde to remove it in Leopard.

Here's the thing. I never used this but I was fiddling with HierarchicalDock and applied it to my Home folder and then put it in the Dock. I Have been using it for the last few days and really this method of navigation has grown on me. I was thinking why did I not use this for years and then I realised that the last time I ever used this (3?4 years ago) It was on less powerful Macs. Then when you were going into submenus with a lot of items there were all these delays and it was a real PITA.

Now on a Mac Pro the submenus open instantly. All this hub-bub about dock folders has led me to this great old/new feature. THanks Apple for the controversy.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    One thing that is starting to grate on me is the transparent menu bar. Perhaps I was wrong in not being bothered by it at first. I hope that Apple will offer some sort of Appearance Pane system preference to adjust the opacity level or turn it off completely.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    I hope they fix iSync. Not being able to sync Address Book and iCal to my Treo is a real pain. Thank God I still have an old iMac with 10.4 so that I can sync Treo with that.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

And what about letting us choose WHAT TO BACKUP instead of letting us choose WHAT TO NOT BACKUP with TimeMachine?

Because that doesn't make any sense.

Are you saying that your list of what you want to back up is actually shorter than the list of what you don't want to back up? I never heard of such a thing.

It's meant to make it easy for people to do it. Once you start off telling them to go through a list of 500,000 files and pick and choose, they give up.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    And what Time Machine really needs is a Backup This Item Now for really important stuff that the User wants backed up straight away. In fact some people may only want to backup in this manner. OK it is early days but it is something for Apple to consider in the future.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:

You can't seriously think people can't name 76 bugs. You can't be that much of an apologist.

Did I say people? No. I don't think a single user can name over 76 bugs that they are personally troubled by. This is purely situational.

Quote:

Here's one I just found, moments ago:

1. Turn on Spaces

2. Assign Safari to a specific space

3. Assign some other apps to other spaces

4. Turn off Spaces

5. Reboot

6. Open Safari

There is absolutely no way to get to any Safari window because it is locked in a different space, despite Spaces being turned off. You can minimize the Window from the menu and see it in the dock, and if you zoom or "maximize" the Safari window again, you see nothing.

Solution:

1. Turn on Spaces

2. Delete application assignment

The moment you turn off the assignment, Safari appears, no matter which space you currently are in. Funny thing is this is only for Safari. All other apps behave normally.

You went through all that time listing the procedures, and fix for a single bug just to impress me? Are you fucking stupid?

Quote:

I love well designed products like the day is long, so accordingly, I spend a lot of money with Apple and am an enthusiast.

Thanks for the news brief, want a cookie?

Quote:

But posts like yours are why the Mac community get a bad name.

Ah yes, you're right I am the source of all that is evil because I believe that 76 bug fixes is a significant improvement. Oh please, save me from my wrongdoings!

Quote:

True Apple loyalists hammer Apple when they screw up.

True Apple loyalists are realistic, I'm not being elitist either, I recognize their flaws but why would I want to "hammer" them? Give me a break. Want me to slam open SJ's door and kick him in the face? No products are perfect, very few releases even come close to being what they should be.

Quote:

And yes, Leopard was released months prematurely. (And if you are confused as to why, try backing up your most valuable data, say family pictures to an external drive, and during the copy, unplug the drive. You'll see what a Class One bug in a production Operating System looks like.)

I'm well aware, thanks for the tidbit, sweety.

I hope you get whatever crevice is bothering you looked at as soon as possible. I'm looking forward to your next ignorant rant.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yikes. "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." Or something like that.

Anyway, so the executive summary is that hierarchical menus are back in the Dock? That was practically a deal-breaker for me. A "back up now" would be nice in Time Machine too I must say. I'm sure someone's come out with or will come out with a shareware to make it do this.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

A "back up now" would be nice in Time Machine too I must say. I'm sure someone's come out with or will come out with a shareware to make it do this.

Right click on Time Machine icon in Dock...select "Back Up Now"