I need help finding something...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Remember the [EDIT: 2004] earthquake/tsunami? Remember Nasa's press conference stating that the energy from the earthquake that caused the tsunami also altered the Earth's axis?

I also recall at that very same press conference that they divulged that they had knowledge of an asteroid impact in the near future that had been kept secret to the public. Yet since the earthquake had caused this alteration it wasn't destined to hit us now, they just thought they could reveal this information.

I've searched for quotes or transcripts of that asteroid impact allegation and haven't been able to find it.

Can anyone point me to where it might be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Remember the 2003 earthquake/tsunami? Remember Nasa's press conference stating that the energy from the earthquake that caused the tsunami also altered the Earth's axis?

I also recall at that very same press conference that they divulged that they had knowledge of an asteroid impact in the near future that had been kept secret to the public. Yet since the earthquake had caused this alteration it wasn't destined to hit us now, they just thought they could reveal this information.

I've searched for quotes or transcripts of that asteroid impact allegation and haven't been able to find it.

Is there a more specific date? There seems to be a large number of earthquakes in 2003...

Although according to a wikipedia article on a similar topic, axis shifts caused by earthquakes aren't significant and are soon canceled out by natural wobbles of the earh.

And, anything on this site that is related?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Remember the 2003 earthquake/tsunami? Remember Nasa's press conference stating that the energy from the earthquake that caused the tsunami also altered the Earth's axis?

You're thinking of Apophis, and although the possibility of an Earth impact was announced around the same time as the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake, I don't remember anything being said about the earthquake altering the Earth's axis.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Maybe not NASA.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Is there a more specific date? There seems to be a large number of earthquakes in 2003...

Although according to a wikipedia article on a similar topic, axis shifts caused by earthquakes aren't significant and are soon canceled out by natural wobbles of the earh.

And, anything on this site that is related?

I'm sorry, it was 2004 and it was the Indian Ocean Earthquake.

Yes, I found that specific portion on that Wiki page on the energy released by the earthquake...

Quote:

The shift of mass and the massive release of energy very slightly altered the Earth's rotation. The exact amount is not yet known, but theoretical models suggest the earthquake shortened the length of a day by 2.68 microseconds, due to a decrease in the oblateness of the Earth.[20] It also caused the Earth to minutely "wobble" on its axis by up to 2.5 cm (1 in) in the direction of 145° east longitude,[21] or perhaps by up to 5 or 6 cm (2.0 to 2.4 in).[22] However, because of tidal effects of the Moon, the length of a day increases at an average of 15 µs per year, so any rotational change due to the earthquake will be lost quickly. Similarly, the natural Chandler wobble of the Earth, which in some cases can be up to 15 m (50 ft), will eventually offset the minor wobble produced by the earthquake.

...and that's as far as I could go.

Nasa did share details on the Earthquake's effect on the Earth.

But any results for Nasa's news conference concerning the asteroid has disappeared or been retracted (though I can't find a retraction either).

The only reason I had was a curiosity on this claim Nasa made that they wouldn't have revealed the asteroid heading our way for fear of world wide panic. They only revealed it because of the re-computations they made after the earthquake showed that it wouldn't hit us. I remember reading it and now it's gone.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    it never happened.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    That's what she said!

• Reply 7 of 20
    I too need help finding something...

What happened to applenova?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    In what conspiracy theorist's laws of physics would a change in rotational velocity or axis of rotation of the earth change the earths ORBIT about the sun. Let alone change it enough to change an asteroid impact probability to nothingness?

That whole asteroid/earthquake thing, if it ever happened, was made up bunk from somewhere not worth remembering.

There have been unrelated asteroid trackings which have come and gone since then with changing impact probabilities, maybe you are just crossing some wires on long past unrelated events which were coincidental in time but nothing else, and there is no NASA conspiracy?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

I too need help finding something...

What happened to applenova?

I would imagine the demise of TS might have affected it rather severely.

/me awaits the reanimation of the putrid corpse of ORANGEOUTSIDER
  • Reply 10 of 20
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I would imagine the demise of TS might have affected it rather severely.

/me awaits the reanimation of the putrid corpse of ORANGEOUTSIDER

Hardly. Not really much of a relationship other than reciprocal links. TS is still up, just without any new content.

AN still seems to be there, the server responds as such, just a whole lot of can't find any particular URL. So the Apache side is running, but the bbs seems toast for the moment.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Maybe there was a schism?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    While I'm no admin at AN, the issues with AN have nothing to do with TS. Different servers and such. As Hiro said it's little more than reciprocal links.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    ZOMG. This thread had *such* potential for the tin-foilers.... but never in my wildest dreams would I imagine hhh leading the way.

But yeah. Think Secret and AppleNova we're actually *cool* together. In fact, Nick was (is) a good friend to AN. So, good times ... and for a while there TS and AN had a really good relationship going. Like, the best of friends ... you don't even bother to check on each other while things are going well. It's a boy thing.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Oh dear god I was mostly kidding.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
  • Reply 16 of 20
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Oh well this thread has been seriously 'jacked by my AN crossover friends!

On topic:

Isn't there an asteroid on an approach to Mars that has a 1 in 70+ chance of hitting the planet?

I thought I heard that on the radio yesterday morning.... where's Curiouburb when we need him?

Edit:

Damn, should read the posts DIRECTLY ABOVE MY OWN!!!!11
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Oh dear god I was mostly kidding.

The absence of a tongue-in-cheek smilie hurts my posting over here.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

it never happened.

Normally I would agree, but I remember reading the article on a few reputable news sites (BBC, CNN).

This does happen. Maybe not for conspiracy sake, but because in a way NASA was covered by the earthquake and it's results. And if they would have kept the asteroid a secret until they could find a way to divert it, wouldn't have mattered if they succeeded. Also if not, it wouldn't matter, we'd all be toast.

Makes you wonder what other secrets they have.

I recall also on 9|11 during the attacks CNN showed a press live conference with the Taliban (it had been scheduled beforehand for questions about the assassination of a commander of the Taliban Resistance army the day before 9|11) where they emphatically denied any responsibility with the attacks. All the senior Taliban leaders were there including what may have been some Al Qaeda operatives too.

Think I could find that video or transcript anywhere now? Nope.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Normally I would agree, but I remember reading the article on a few reputable news sites (BBC, CNN).

This does happen. Maybe not for conspiracy sake, but because in a way NASA was covered by the earthquake and it's results. And if they would have kept the asteroid a secret until they could find a way to divert it, wouldn't have mattered if they succeeded. Also if not, it wouldn't matter, we'd all be toast.

Makes you wonder what other secrets they have.

I recall also on 9|11 during the attacks CNN showed a press live conference with the Taliban (it had been scheduled beforehand for questions about the assassination of a commander of the Taliban Resistance army the day before 9|11) where they emphatically denied any responsibility with the attacks. All the senior Taliban leaders were there including what may have been some Al Qaeda operatives too.

Think I could find that video or transcript anywhere now? Nope.

you are right, I also remember reporting on the fact that the earthquake had altered the earths orbit. Dont recall anything about an asteroid hit though.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Did somebody say AppleNova? It must be time for AppleNovaPie!

AppleNova FTW!!! W00t.