Macpro and GPU upgrades...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK, so the macpro is a Xeon based workstation, like any other workstation except for shitty GPU options: so what happens if I take a Geforce 8600 or Quadro 570 card and stick it in there? will it work? if not why?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It all depends on the drivers. In all likelihood, it won't work. The drivers won't recognize the card.

In the Windows world, they do use a unified driver model, where the latest nvidia package installs drivers for all of the cards. Perhaps the same for Mac? I don't know. Try it and see.

The good news is from a hardware perspective, there is probably no issue at all.

Perhaps the upcoming announcements will include a graphics refresh for the macpro?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    It Won't work. Apple buys GPUs from Nvidia and ATI and makes ther own EFI drivers for them. Mac Pro GPU options are limited to the ones apple sells. However, you can use another GPU if you boot into windows under boot camp.

Oh, and 512 MB isn't that bad.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Oh, and 512 MB isn't that bad.

It is when they charge like $300 for a $100 card

and for goodnes sake, this is an OPEN GL workstation, so why no mid-range, say $200-600 Quadro FXs?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    There will be new cards in January available. I'm hoping I can upgrade my card.

And it's not just about the graphic card's memory, there are a lot of other factors in determining the speeds of it. These cards (the ATi and Quadro) were top of the line a long time ago. Right now they're decent but they do cripple the machine somewhat significantly.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

There will be new cards in January available. I'm hoping I can upgrade my card.

And it's not just about the graphic card's memory, there are a lot of other factors in determining the speeds of it. These cards (the ATi and Quadro) were top of the line a long time ago. Right now they're decent but they do cripple the machine somewhat significantly.

I have witnessed what a GPU upgrade can do first hand, from a GeForce 7300 to a Quadro FX 570, a low-ish end 3d workstation card, for a Solidworks designer in Windows and let me just say it makes a HUGE amount of differance in the poligon dencity and speed of the app, everything looks real and flies...all for about $200, cant get that kind of GPU speed on a mac for under $1400...that is a perfect example of why we just cant bring mac into the corprate world, and believe me, if there were a reasonable midrange tower and better GPUs in the macpro, you bet your booty companies would make the transition, hell what do you think most IT guys use outside the office...Mac and Linux, that is what!