Slow Release of iPhone Updates

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
When I purchased my iPhone in June, I was hoping to see new features added within the first year. The features I was hoping for were:

- voice dialing through the Bluetooth ear piece

- ability to access files on my iPhone (use it as a hard disk)

- ability to use iChat when connected to WiFi or through EDGE

- ability to read email in landscape mode

- ability to print from iPhone

- junk mail folder and junk mail filtering

To date, none of these have come to life.

Is anyone else disappointed at the slowness of updates coming from Apple? Maybe I'm being overdemanding, but I love my iPhone and want to see it made into an even better product. I'm sure I'm not the only one asking for the above options.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 120
    " - ability to use iChat when connected to WiFi or through EDGE"

Oh yeah, I definitely hear ya there. But I believe that one was purposefully omitted. ATT makes $90 for every $10 they invest into text messaging though. They make a nine fold-profit. Its mind-boggling to think about. And although Apple has re-arranged some stuff at ATT, I think this one is going to take a while. While, I do understand that other phones have chatting capabilities, I think that it is because the iPhone is so easy to text on, that they want to make sure to keep those revenues coming in. Bummer big time. However, the good news is that Meebo.com actually has a really good chating feature on it that can be used with AIM. I've used it, and its great. I think Apple probably saw something like this coming in the form of a web 2.0 based app. and had no problem relinquishing the iChat feature. Who knows. But meebo.com is definitely an option for that.
  • Reply 2 of 120
    To be honest, if your expecting all that then your expecting too much. Its not normal believe it or not to update a phone too add functionality. It happens sometimes but not on the scale you are expecting. Iphones sucessor will be announced soon and out by the summer so why would Apple spend time updating the iphone. They would much rather you all get bored with it so that you rush out and buy their latest product(s).

The SDK thing was always going to come, but apart from that the only thing I can see then truley adding is flag plugins depending on when they sort out their thing with Adobe. Even then, they could just save that for their next range of phones.
  • Reply 3 of 120
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I guess mainly because Apple has consistently touted that the iPhone can be software updated...so we do expect it.
  • Reply 4 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I guess mainly because Apple has consistently touted that the iPhone can be software updated...so we do expect it.

Correct. I never expected updates for my RAZR, nor did I expect updates for the Treos or Blackberries. However, the CEO's of those companies weren't touting that their products would be upgradeable through software updates.
  • Reply 5 of 120
    I concur. These updates should definitely be rolling out much faster than they have been.

I doubt anyone is expecting anything earth shattering, but after all, Apple said the updates were coming, not us.

On a side note, the best iPhone web app for instant messaging is JiveTalk. iphone.beejive.com (makes Meebo look like a dirty trash can full of poop).
  • Reply 6 of 120
    yeah, I've tried JiveTalk. I don't like it as much though. Maybe its just because I got hooked on Meebo first. One update that I would like to see be made to the iPhone is finger-print scanning. That would be really cool. Instead of your password, just hold your finger on the screen for 2 seconds. I imagine something like that would be a ways off. But its still cool to think about what could be coming.
  • Reply 7 of 120
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Iphones sucessor will be announced soon and out by the summer so why would Apple spend time updating the iphone. They would much rather you all get bored with it so that you rush out and buy their latest product(s).

At least you are hoping it works out this way. Apple has said multiple times additional functionality will be added to the phone.

Quote:

I concur. These updates should definitely be rolling out much faster than they have been.

I don't mind giving them time to polish the UI and work out bugs. I would imagine the updates will be a big marketing event with the SDK release.
  • Reply 8 of 120
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

- junk mail folder and junk mail filtering

I have junk mail folder and filter through GMail IMAP.
  • Reply 9 of 120
    I would like:

- Hard drive mode

- Ability to delete more than one email at a time

- Ability to customize SMS message alerts (ala ringtones)

- Some form of copy and paste
  • Reply 10 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

At least you are hoping it works out this way. Apple has said multiple times additional functionality will be added to the phone.

I don't mind giving them time to polish the UI and work out bugs. I would imagine the updates will be a big marketing event with the SDK release.

You have youtube now as well as SDK in Feb. At most you will get a few things like forwarding of sms or MMs but dont be expecting hard drive functionality. If such a basic thing hasnt already been implemented this whole time with all these ipods then what chance will they have of putting it in the iphone.

Seriously I wouldnt expect much more from Apple apart from a few tweaks here and there, new phones are released every year to suceed previous models and iphone will be no different. The new one will be out in May. They may have said its upgradable by update but did they actually say they will add all these things? No, they are just basically a wish list.
  • Reply 11 of 120
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

I doubt anyone is expecting anything earth shattering, but after all, Apple said the updates were coming, not us.

On a side note, the best iPhone web app for instant messaging is JiveTalk. iphone.beejive.com (makes Meebo look like a dirty trash can full of poop).

Updates will continue happening. Strong evidence of this is how Apple is handling the hardware accounting for iPhone, amortized over 24 months. That indicates Apple has a long term software update strategy for the iPhone where those updates add new functionality, not just security or bug-fixes. I would expect once the phone is 24 months old they will only get software/bug-fixes, but expect at least some sort of new stuff out to at least 18 months.
  • Reply 12 of 120
    Personally I don't really care as the 3rd party developers have added most of the functionality I wanted. An official iChat would be less useful than Apollo since it wouldn't support MSN. There is some refinement of Apple's software that I would like though.
  • Reply 13 of 120
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    voice dialing doesn't cost att anything so why not include it.
  • Reply 14 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

voice dialing doesn't cost att anything so why not include it.

Voice dialing isn't the most accurate technology out there. I imagine that they want to only put options on the phone that help perfect its great usability. Not tarnish it. There's nothing more frustrating than something that doesn't work 100%. I can see apple adding this feature once it becomes foolproof. But right now, I just don't think its there.
  • Reply 15 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Voice dialing isn't the most accurate technology out there. I imagine that they want to only put options on the phone that help perfect its great usability. Not tarnish it. There's nothing more frustrating than something that doesn't work 100%. I can see apple adding this feature once it becomes foolproof. But right now, I just don't think its there.

It worked pretty well on my RAZR.

Nobody expects perfection. Mac OS X isn't perfect.
  • Reply 16 of 120
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so how do you use the bt in the iphone??? you have to use two hands to dial then "send" and pick up your ear piece??? SJ wouldn't do that why should we.... how do you use it with a car kit??? then what's the use of BT in the iphone???
  • Reply 17 of 120
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My request are:

voice dialing

search function that is notes email and photos

improved mail:take message size up to at least 700 messages, being able to make smart folders, delete multiple emails at one time, send group emails

have a notes app in OSX that syncs with iphone notes

up safari pages open to more than 8

being able to add text to a photo

option for scientific calculator
  • Reply 18 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

It worked pretty well on my RAZR.

Nobody expects perfection. Mac OS X isn't perfect.

Yeah, I had a RAZR too and I would definitely say that it didn't work so hot. They're omitting this option for a reason. They didn't just "forget" it, or over look it. The technology isn't there. And I would say that "pretty well" isn't good enough for Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

option for scientific calculator

Yeah, I can't wait till this one comes out either. Engineering classes would be so much better if I could incorporate an engineered marvel
  • Reply 20 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Yeah, I had a RAZR too and I would definitely say that it didn't work so hot. They're omitting this option for a reason. They didn't just "forget" it, or over look it. The technology isn't there. And I would say that "pretty well" isn't good enough for Apple.

The multi-touch interface isn't perfect, but it's included. Bluetooth connectivity isn't perfect, but it's included. The Safari web browser isn't perfect, but it's included.

Just because something isn't perfect doesn't mean it shouldn't be included. Voice dialing works well enough that it should be included.

As I mentioned previously, I had no problem with my RAZR's voice dialing. Those that have problems either have varying voice pitches, varying enunciation, or do not record their sample voices for each name in a quiet environment.