DVI to HDMI questions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Far too fast. I can't rewind a few seconds back to revisit a reaction or something without skipping anywhere from 3-7 minutes back.

You could suggest an update - after all it's open source is it not? I'm sure someone out there would be interested in working on a revision for better ffwd/rewind tools.

I was clinging on to QuickTime Player for a long time, and still use it from time to time. As far as interface and ease of use is concerned, it's definitely the better one. I especially like the introduction of cropping and stretching video. However a couple of things have made me switch players...

Firstly, QuickTime Player doesn't allow me to alter aspect ratio, VLC does. Secondly, opening AVI/MKV files with codecs such as XviD take a long time. I mean, a VERY long time. Sometimes I'm waiting so long that in the meantime I open the same file in VLC and it'll open immediately. Sometimes as much as a few minutes later, the file will open in QuickTime Player.

But I couldn't live without QuickTime... After all, it integrates in with all other applications, so if I install a codec into QuickTime, I get it pretty much everywhere which is great.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmoney_2010 View Post

oh and where can you buy DVI to HDMI adapters or cables

Anywhere you'd expect really, including the Apple Store.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    the online apple store???
  • Reply 24 of 36
    nevermind i just found them. for somereason i dont remember seeingthem on there before..
  • Reply 25 of 36
    do HDMI cables carry audio also?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

yes ... just PART of the beauty of the system.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

HDMI cables do, but DVI cables don't. And I *think* the audio information in the HDMI cable is carried in the digital signal, so you can't buy DVI+phono-to-HDMI cables. And most TVs probably won't allow you to input the video through HDMI and the audio through different inputs.

One way round it could be to buy an AV Receiver with built-in HDMI, such as the lovely Cambridge Audio Azur series. Maybe I'll get one for NEXT Christmas...
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

... And most TVs probably won't allow you to input the video through HDMI and the audio through different inputs. ...

My Sony TV does have that ability.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So did my coworker's.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    mine does but it only has one audio input for two hdmi..
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Oooh interesting... Which model number? So you could connect a DVI-to-HDMI device (like a Mini) and plug the audio through the other audio inputs?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Oooh interesting... Which model number? So you could connect a DVI-to-HDMI device (like a Mini) and plug the audio through the other audio inputs?

Sony Bravia 46"LCD : KDL-46V2500

It has 2 HDMI ports, ONE of which is paired with an analog audio input.

With my pBook though, I use the PC input (mini DVI - VGA adaptor) and an analog audio input.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Ok interesting... So you're using an analogue signal on the video too then? How does the VGA look? How are you doing with output resolution? Does it match the TV's resolution or is it scaled?
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:

Ok interesting... So you're using an analogue signal on the video too then? How does the VGA look? How are you doing with output resolution? Does it match the TV's resolution or is it scaled?

Plugged into an HDMI port is a PS3 .... BBC's "Planet Earth" on BluRay at 1080p looks FANTASTIC!!!

The computer plugs in (occasionally) to a VGA port, and needs a separate cable for the associated audio input. ... I can't get the pBook to display full 1920x1080 that the TV is capable of, but it looks good at the 15xx by 980 ? that it DOES display.

Since we got the PS3 though, we don't plug the mac into it, as the game machine also has an internet browser .... good for watching UTube and such.... If we want to do "real" internet browsing, the iMac is MUCH more comfortable than a 46" screen.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've got a similar setup.

A mac mini hooked up to my LCD via HDMI using an XtremeMac DVI-to-HDMI cable. The audio I have routed through my receiver using the optical out on the mini. It works great.

BTW, get an HDHomerun for HD tv on your mini. Highly recommended.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by torifile View Post

A mac mini hooked up to my LCD via HDMI using an XtremeMac DVI-to-HDMI cable. The audio I have routed through my receiver using the optical out on the mini. It works great.

Very nice! Do you know what your output resolution is on the HDTV? Can you get 1920 x 1080?

Quote:

BTW, get an HDHomerun for HD tv on your mini. Highly recommended.

I just had a look - seems interesting. So how does it work? If it needs Eye TV, what exactly does it give that Eye TV doesn't deliver?