Difference between SATA and IDE interface?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all,

I have a big question for you guys. I'm looking to buy an external hard drive. At first, I was going to buy the Lacie Rugged HD, but realized that I could buy a 2.5" HD and a 2.5" HD enclosure for much cheaper. However, I've come into a bit of a problem. This is the HD I want to get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145113

Notice that the interface is Serial ATA (Found in the column on the right, under specifications). Here's the enclosure I want to get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817146604

Now, notice that the internal interface of this enclosure is IDE (Found in the column on the right, under specifications).

So my big question is, will this hard drive work with this enclosure? I don't know the difference between IDE and SATA, if there is any, so I'm coming to you guys. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    No. it won't work.

IDE (ATA) is parallel.

SATA is serial.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    If you are going to buy an SATA harddrive, then you need an SATA enclosure. Likewise, if you are going to buy an IDE enclosure, you need an IDE harddrive.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Cool! Thanks a lot, guys!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    ::bump::

I think there's a way to use the enclosure....

Last week I opened up my order from NewEgg and realized that I'd made a blunder... the 20x DVD burner I'd purchased was SATA, but the enclosure I'd purchased was IDE. What a dummy I felt.

This set me to searching for the correct enclosure, and you know what gang? Those little buggers are nearly impossible to find in a 5.25" configuration right now, especially from any online stores I feel comfortable using.

The only enclosure that fits my needs (sized for an optical drive, possessing internal SATA connection for the drive and external firewire ports) is made by Addonics, and the reviews from NewEgg make it sound like a real stinker... plus it's currently unavailable.

But as I got to reading, I discovered that there's a bridge/adapter you can buy for about $15 that simply plugs into the back of your IDE device and provides the 40 pin IDE connector on its back.

Bingo! Now you can use any IDE enclosure you want to run your SATA device.

At least, that's what I'm hoping. If anybody here has firsthand experience using one of these bridge devices please let me know if I'm headed for a solution or for bigger problems. Right now I feel like I've discovered a way to use the enclosure I already have~!

• Reply 5 of 20
    Don't cripple your SATA interface by bridging it to an IDE interface. IDE interfaces are slow and outdated. It isn't too far fetched to compare IDE to a COM port and SATA to a USB port.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Yeah, but in Drew's case it's his best option until he can get his hands on a SATA enclosure for his burner.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Oooo, thanks for the comparison talksense101, I was wondering if someone could give me an idea if I'd take a hit on the performance of the SATA drive. I wonder how long it'll be before the jam is broken on getting 5.25 SATA-ready enclosures on the street.... Turtle, having this burner up and running isn't a pressing problem, I think I can wait a month or two if the options open up and the prices drop down.

The only places I'm seeing these things are on NewEgg.com and CoolDrives.com, the latter of which has a boatload of drives but seems fairly small change... wondering if they're reliable.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    When (and IF) Apple goes to FW3.2GB, will it require different computer components? Would any of the existing enclosures work or will there have to be a new type enclosure.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Something tells me that IDE, which communicates at 1.33Gb, will do fine for a DVD-burner. Serial ATA is either 1.50Gb or 3.0Gb, depending on the interface. All SuperDrives in the current Macs are functioning over ATA anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I'm unfamiliar with how the write speed of optical devices coincide with bus speeds... this setup would have data pushed out at Firewire 400 speed, through IDE, translated into SATA, to a 20x DVD burner.... if it works at all I'll be fairly astonished.... what a laborious route!!

The things we take for granted these days...
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewprops View Post

I'm unfamiliar with how the write speed of optical devices coincide with bus speeds... this setup would have data pushed out at Firewire 400 speed, through IDE, translated into SATA, to a 20x DVD burner.... if it works at all I'll be fairly astonished.... what a laborious route!!

The things we take for granted these days...

Oh, I totally forgot about the FireWire part. 1.33Gb versus 3.0Gb makes no difference when both are going through 400Mb. If the IDE/SATA bridge works for you, don't worry about changing to a SATA enclosure later.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Oh, I totally forgot about the FireWire part. 1.33Gb versus 3.0Gb makes no difference when both are going through 400Mb. If the IDE/SATA bridge works for you, don't worry about changing to a SATA enclosure later.

::smacks head::

Well I should have been able to do THAT math.... ::sigh:: Thanks!!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    As far as I know, SATA drives are faster than IDE ,,
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatherjack43 View Post

As far as I know, SATA drives are faster than IDE ,,

The SATA interface is faster than the P-ATA (Parallel ATA, often incorrectly referred to as IDE). But that does not guarantee that the drives hung off them are faster/slower.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Hey guys,

This is an update, for anyone else who wanders down this particular path...

So today my SATA to IDE host adapter arrived and so I slipped hooked it up to the drive, bunged the drive down into the enclosure and fired that contraption up.... only to encounter some problems.

Toast 8 hangs at some point in the process of writing a DVD.

Now, if you let it go for the length of the burn, until the drive spins down, then shut off power to the drive, click through two warning dialog boxes, watch Toast 8 expand back from the burn window to the organize window and THEN power the external drive back up, you'll see a window that opens up to reveal the files that you thought that you were burning. However, if you eject that disc and insert it into another drive it appears to be unreadable.... so the disc isn't "finalizing" somehow (I surmise).

The best solution I can think of is to cut my losses and order an IDE DVD burner... does that sound smart to you guys? Thanks!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Probably. SATA optical drives are kinda pointless, since ATA busses move faster than the CD and DVD read/write speeds anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    a SATA drive's io bufferring offers greater speed and capacity, resulting in more stable burns/reads.

you are constrained by your computer's interface which is a firewire connector. i would just go with whichever is more stable and offers better drivers for your operating system.

an external SATA drive would be nice if you had a motherboard with a eSATA port which offers the same bus speed outside the enclosure as that of internal drives.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Oh buddy, if I had a tower I'd totally look into jamming an eSATA card into it and using those enclosures... as it is, I'll be dropping back into IDE just to have a dependable drive that's faster than the one built into the iMac (plus the LightScribe feature). Looking to see if I can still return the SATA optical drive now....
  • Reply 19 of 20
    If you can't return it I might be able to help take it off your hands, though I'm still not sure I need it just yet. I'm spec'ing a hackintosh right now and would be going SATA all the way.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    I recently upgraded my HD to the Hitachi 200GB 7200 RPM for $169.99:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0A50940/

and I got this enclosure for the 80GB SATA that came with my MacBook for $11.99 with free shipping. It's well made, inexpensive, and it works:

http://www.xpcgear.com/emvst25.html