Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

1227228229230231233»

Comments

• Reply 4641 of 4650
    There's a third (fourth if you count LG's first attempt) combo player coming to market, this time from Passive Technologies. That thing looks like it'll cost thousands of dollars though. Meanwhile, people over at the AVS forums are reporting picking up Samsung's new BD-UP5000 combo player in stores; they're currently $799, so I imagine it won't be too many months before you can get a combo player for less than $500. I wonder if other companies will unveil plans for combo players at CES? With customers not wanting to buy in until one format's dead and buried, giving them players that can do both seems like a good bandwagon to get on.
  • Reply 4642 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

There's a third (fourth if you count LG's first attempt) combo player coming to market, this time from Passive Technologies. That thing looks like it'll cost thousands of dollars though. Meanwhile, people over at the AVS forums are reporting picking up Samsung's new BD-UP5000 combo player in stores; they're currently $799, so I imagine it won't be too many months before you can get a combo player for less than $500. I wonder if other companies will unveil plans for combo players at CES? With customers not wanting to buy in until one format's dead and buried, giving them players that can do both seems like a good bandwagon to get on.

That's good news. I think HDM market is still not ready for the mass. So, releasing new product, out of consumer price range, is still an opportune time and will be a popular hardware for next 6 months in the enthusiasts' circle. Many of the enthusiasts buying their 2nd & 3rd HDM player unit will definitely consider those combo players. I believe some of the HDM hardware products like the cheap HD-DVD player and $399 PS3 will soon lose their bargain appeal as the combo players street around $399 and lower.

BTW, I don't think it's the format war keeping the consumers from engaging HDM market. It's the entry price & the HDM prices keeping people away, but most importantly, the public is not aware or care at this point. If the price is low enough, the format war will not matter because every format can exist at lower prices. For example; there are still people buying more PS2 than PS3 because it's cheaper. Technically, PS2 is obsolete product, but at $129, it's cheap enough and out weighs risk value.
  • Reply 4643 of 4650
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The PS3 is now Profile 1.1 compliant with the latest firmware, version 2.10.
  • Reply 4644 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The PS3 is now Profile 1.1 compliant with the latest firmware, version 2.10.

So, thats about 6 million BD capable players world wide, cool!
  • Reply 4645 of 4650
    I know this thread is dead, but I just wanted to wish it a happy One year birthday.
  • Reply 4646 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's not dead yet. It's still 2007 where I am.
  • Reply 4647 of 4650
    I ment that noone was posting on it
  • Reply 4648 of 4650
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    So, why do the posts need to be broken down by year? This post is 117 pages long. Big deal!
  • Reply 4649 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

So, why do the posts need to be broken down by year? This post is 117 pages long. Big deal!

The High Definition "threads" have been broken down by year for two years now. It's tradition. There are no other threads are going to last over a year anyway.
  • Reply 4650 of 4650
    Yes, but they started a "2008" thread WAY before 2008... so does that one even count, really???