Auto screen recorder

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Im looking for a good free auto screen recorder compatible for mac. Best if can record for at least an hour, but anything is better than nothing

thanks,

Cato

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

Im looking for a good free auto screen recorder compatible for mac. Best if can record for at least an hour, but anything is better than nothing

thanks,

Cato

Idk if you can get a recording for 1 hour without killing your ram, and it taking forever to encode and save, but you could try Copernicus, and I've heard good things about Jing, but I haven't heard of any other good free ones... there are a few out there that just use a series of screenshots to take a movie, so an hour-long movie would probably fill up your entire HD.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    when you say "killing you ram" does that mean that it is bad for me to record for long periods of time because of it hurting my ram or was that just an expression that means it is hard for my ram?

thanks for jing, it seems nice,

Cato
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

when you say "killing you ram" does that mean that it is bad for me to record for long periods of time because of it hurting my ram or was that just an expression that means it is hard for my ram?

thanks for jing, it seems nice,

Cato

I mean that it will use a lot of ram and probably slow down your computer a lot. Not necessarily only the ram, but the cpu/gpu too and it will probably get very hot and require a lot of HD writes.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I mean that it will use a lot of ram and probably slow down your computer a lot. Not necessarily only the ram, but the cpu/gpu too and it will probably get very hot and require a lot of HD writes.

It'll be fine, lol, computers are meant for actually doing stuff with them - not just word processing. The best programs out there are iShowU and Snapz X Pro, both cost money unfortunately. I have Snapz X Pro and it works really well. I aacidently left it recording for like 45 minutes once and I didn't even notice.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    What I meant was that normally when you want to record something, you are performing a task which would likely require a good deal of these resources used by the recording program itself, possibly causing lag which is usually considered bad...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

What I meant was that normally when you want to record something, you are performing a task which would likely require a good deal of these resources used by the recording program itself, possibly causing lag which is usually considered bad...

You do realize that these screen recorders are meant for recording tasks that already hog some resources - they aren't made just to record your desktop or a still application. The only time I've ever experienced lag with a screen recorder is while playing 3D games - everything else was very smooth. This was on my old computer - a dual 1.8GHz, 1GB Ram Powermac G5. Depending on his system he may experience a little lag but I doubt it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    thanks guys... what happened to all your posts?

I have a macbook pro so i should be fine.

Thanks for the help