Will it void my Apple Warrenty if I install 3rd Party RAM?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OWC is selling 4 GB of RAM at an amazing price ($99), compared to Apple's $900. However, if I ever come with a problem, I don't want Apple not doing anything if my Mac breaks down because I installed 3rd Party RAM. Here's a link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53IM2DDR4GBK/

One thing I noticed, this they're slightly different.

OWC: 4GB 667MHz DDR2 ??? - 2x2GB (PC5300)

Apple: 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB (PC2-5300)

Anything I should worry about? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    You've got the right chips. On a MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro, you can install the memory yourself. On the other hand, if you have a Mac mini, you need an authorized Apple technician to install the RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

OWC is selling 4 GB of RAM at an amazing price ($99), compared to Apple's $900. However, if I ever come with a problem, I don't want Apple not doing anything if my Mac breaks down because I installed 3rd Party RAM. Here's a link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53IM2DDR4GBK/

One thing I noticed, this they're slightly different.

OWC: 4GB 667MHz DDR2 ??? - 2x2GB (PC5300)

Apple: 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB (PC2-5300)

Anything I should worry about? Thanks in advance.

YES YOUR WARRANTEE WILL BE NULL AND VOID, ALTHOUGH THE RAM WILL PROBABLY WORK PERFECTLY. THE APPLE MANAGEMENT THINKS WE'RE ALL DUMMIES, HOWEVER THEY ARENT DUMMIES AS THEY WANT US TO BUY THEIR OVER-PRICED MEMORY. OH WELL, LIKE MY 68 YR-OLD MOTHER SAYS, "WELL THE MAN AT FIRESTONE SAYS THE EXTRA ROAD HAZARD WARRANTEE ON THE TIRES IS WORTH IT, THOUGH $79.99 EXTRA IS A BIT HIGH, BUT HE'S A FIRESTONE MAN HE KNOWS BEST" SO I BOUGHT IT.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    On the computers Karelia listed RAM is a user install feature. The computer manual that comes with your machine even gives directions. So, no it doesn't void the warranty. Of course, if you break something while installing the RAM then it's on your dime. If at some time you do have a problem with your computer and take it into an Apple Store, they may sometimes ask you to take out any user installed RAM before looking at the machine.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Anyone have a guide to the direction?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I am going to second the motion that putting in 3rd party RAM will not void your warrantee with Apple. There are two caveats: any damage that you do while installing the RAM or damage that really bad RAM could (in theory) do will not be covered. Any sign that you were rough in putting the RAM in will (scratches in the internals, etc) void your warrantee. The second caveat is that Apple will always want to do repair work with the original RAM installed, so you do have to swap the RAM back in before taking it in for servicing.

Apple has traditionally been very expensive, and when I have talked to Apple sales reps they have explained that they do this to allow vendors some room to make their own bundles. This is a bit of a weak argument, but is probably the one that Apple uses internally.

They do put top-quality RAM in that has low CAS latencies, and I have never seen a bad stick. That still does not make Apple RAM a good buy.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

YES YOUR WARRANTEE WILL BE NULL AND VOID, ALTHOUGH THE RAM WILL PROBABLY WORK PERFECTLY. THE APPLE MANAGEMENT THINKS WE'RE ALL DUMMIES, HOWEVER THEY ARENT DUMMIES AS THEY WANT US TO BUY THEIR OVER-PRICED MEMORY. OH WELL, LIKE MY 68 YR-OLD MOTHER SAYS, "WELL THE MAN AT FIRESTONE SAYS THE EXTRA ROAD HAZARD WARRANTEE ON THE TIRES IS WORTH IT, THOUGH $79.99 EXTRA IS A BIT HIGH, BUT HE'S A FIRESTONE MAN HE KNOWS BEST" SO I BOUGHT IT.

Before going off on unfounded rants, you ought to know what you are talking about:

Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty

Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Before going off on unfounded rants, you ought to know what you are talking about:

Not to mention, there's this thing about forums and Caps Lock...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I just put in my OWC 2gb kit. what should i expect from this kit? only thing i have noticed so far is that it took up more of my memory. Should my macbook be running noticeably faster?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ^ You should notice you can run more heavy based programs without as much slowdown.

On a side note, I don't understand the warning about static shock. If I follow the instructions in the Apple Manual, I'll be okay?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    To be safe, touch some metal to discharge yourself first.

You'll also find that more RAM means less hard drive swap, and that will reduce hard drive stress, increase read times, and reduce the chance of deleted data being overwritten before you can recover it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I just noticed something...

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...re_2_Duo/DDR2/

What's the difference between "Upgrade" and "Upgrade Kit"?

Edit: I suppose Upgrade Kit = x2.