Forbes Artcile credits AppleInsider scoop on Silverthone chipset

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
but then blows it when she classifies the upcoming products at MacWorld as using an older processor:

Link: http://www.forbes.com/2007/12/24/app...l?partner=iaci

Excerpt:

Quote:

According to fresh rumors from Apple blog AppleInsider, the computer maker will soon pledge support for Intel's upcoming new mobile chip platform, code named "Menlow," and is planning multiple products using the platform for 2008. Menlow chips, including one code-named "Silverthorne," are being designed especially for "mobile Internet devices" and "ultra-mobile PCs," according to Intel.

But since Silverthorne isn't expected to be ready for prime time until a few months in to 2008--Intel is expected to shed more details on the chip at another San Francisco conference in February--it is unlikely that whatever MID or UMPC Apple has planned will be detailed at Macworld.

But Apple fans shouldn't despair--they'll still likely get something new in January. The slim, ultra-light laptop that analysts including Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster are counting on for a Macworld debut will include a more heavy-duty, older chip from Intel, such as the Core 2 Duo. This device is expected to be more like a laptop than an "ultra-mobile" PC.

I guess Penryn is somehow being lumped in as Older now? No one has the damn chip yet, but it's older technology. This is a reason that finance journalists should have a more technically diverse background and do some basic research from Intel and Apple to see what technologies are being introduced.

It's not difficult to go to Intel and check out the chip roadmap, look at Apple and put two and two together.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Funny thing is sometimes I have to wonder if Apple looks at their partners roadmaps or even know what is available. You'd never know it from the Mac's available that they have any idea of what's out there.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Forbes is correct as far as I know. The new thin Macbooks that are to be introduced at Macworld will most likely use Merom CPUs because Penryns are not being shipped unitl later next month. Inless the new macbooks are announced at Macworld to be shipping in late February which i doubt they will be using Meroms.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Forbes is correct as far as I know. The new thin Macbooks that are to be introduced at Macworld will most likely use Merom CPUs because Penryns are not being shipped unitl later next month. Inless the new macbooks are announced at Macworld to be shipping in late February which i doubt they will be using Meroms.

Announced will be the pattern. Apple will demonstrate and announce availability or use the glutton of chips it's storing up to anticipate a general release by Intel and thus not need to announce and make available in three or four weeks--Steve likes to say, ``and they are available today.''
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

There is no way that Apple will introduce a new product at MWSF based on Merom; it will be based on Penryn. While mobile Penryns will not be "shipping" for a few more weeks, they have been "sampling" for months already. Apple might have thousands by MSWF, though not tens of thousands.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

There is no way that Apple will introduce a new product at MWSF based on Merom; it will be based on Penryn. While mobile Penryns will not be "shipping" for a few more weeks, they have been "sampling" for months already. Apple might have thousands by MSWF, though not tens of thousands.

If you read my latest post on the new Penryn notebooks being leaked, you will see this is more like a January launch...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I wonder how long until Apple starts throwing money at appleinsider to go away?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I wonder how long until Apple starts throwing money at appleinsider to go away?

How long before people realize that Apple probably has a professional business relationship with AppleInsider to allow them to provide leaks and other possible rumors to keep people interested in the upcoming market changes?