Boot Camp Rocks!!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Using Boot Camp, I have installed Windows Vista Ultimate with Office 2007 and Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition and couldn't be happier. Vista runs very fast and I haven't encountered any problems. All updates for all products were installed successfully. Now I can concentrate on learning Leopard and QuickSilver as this MacBook Pro is the first Mac I have purchased. Don't need a crappy PC anymore!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianB13 View Post

Using Boot Camp, I have installed Windows Vista Ultimate with Office 2007 and Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition and couldn't be happier. Vista runs very fast and I haven't encountered any problems. All updates for all products were installed successfully. Now I can concentrate on learning Leopard and QuickSilver as this MacBook Pro is the first Mac I have purchased. Don't need a crappy PC anymore!!!

And if you choose to get Parallels - you can run all of your PC software, WITHOUT re-starting your mac.

I use it, and love it - for the most part.

Skip
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Boot Camp is nice, but take a look at Parallels. It will blow you away and make your Mac/PC experience even better.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Haven't seen Parallels but have seen Fusion in action and it is excellent.

Will be putting it on my MBP soon.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Haven't seen Parallels but have seen Fusion in action and it is excellent.

Will be putting it on my MBP soon.

More information on Fusion please. Who, what, where to get it, check it out and so forth?

Skip

Thanks I found info on it. From what I just read, Parallels is ranked better over all.

I'm thinking / hoping Apple up-dates Bootcamp to run like Parallels - hell Apple should just buy Parallels, and stop farting around.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I use VM Ware Fusion. I like it a lot better than parallels.

Boot Camp is still a wonderful solution, for running native right on the Mac. It's still a nice way to go.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Can anyone who has used both parallels and bootcamp testify to the amount of performance hit there is using parallels since windows isn't running natively? (I use XP, not Vista if it matters.)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Can anyone who has used both parallels and bootcamp testify to the amount of performance hit there is using parallels since windows isn't running natively? (I use XP, not Vista if it matters.)

Significantly slower in Parallels. Parallels does not support 3D and does very poorly with anything video related. It is miles slower - if you're just checking your email, browsing, chatting with friends, maybe programming and that sort of thing you should be fine, however. Parallels starts up insanely fast though.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    One thing to consider is that Parallels does not support dual-core functionality, whereas VMware Fusion does. Both are a pretty poor choice for video apps, however, as they trade 3D power for convenience. For the high-end apps, Boot Camp is the clear winner. For the easy switch-to-and-fro program to avoid constant reboots, however, I'd recommend Fusion over Parallels.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

What exactly is Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition? I saw this before. How does it differ from Visual Studio 2005?

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 15
    If you need to control both cores of the processor, then use Fusion. If not, use Parallels.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition is tightly integrated with Microsoft's Team Foundation Server which my company uses to control .NET application versioning. When you launch Team Edition, it prompts you for the Team Foundation Server sign-in. The Team Foundation Explorer can then be displayed and used in the VS 2005 IDE where you can check in/out .NET solutions/projects.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I'm not really interested in using parallels and I have used VMware Workstation in the past and didn't have any problems with it. I plan on using VMware Fusion 1.2 when it becomes available.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition is tightly integrated with Microsoft's Team Foundation Server which my company uses to control .NET application versioning. When you launch Team Edition, it prompts you for the Team Foundation Server sign-in. The Team Foundation Explorer can then be displayed and used in the VS 2005 IDE where you can check in/out .NET solutions/projects.

Thanks for the info.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 15
    From what I have read, Parallels is a more mature product now for the Mac but I think that will change over time as VMware releases new versions of Fusion. VMware has a lot of experience with virtualization.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

More information on Fusion please. Who, what, where to get it, check it out and so forth?

Skip

Thanks I found info on it. From what I just read, Parallels is ranked better over all.

I'm thinking / hoping Apple up-dates Bootcamp to run like Parallels - hell Apple should just buy Parallels, and stop farting around.

Check out Amazon for Fusion. They have it for $62.49 minus a $20 rebate = $42.49.