Hi, mac mail question, please help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am looking to add my college email to my mac mail. Does anyone have a guide or know how to do it? The address is mail.mycollege'sname.edu. Anyone know how to add this? Also does it matter that I am not on their server now. Althought I can still access my mail using safari. Thanks a lot

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tgiblin View Post

I am looking to add my college email to my mac mail. Does anyone have a guide or know how to do it? The address is mail.mycollege'sname.edu. Anyone know how to add this? Also does it matter that I am not on their server now. Althought I can still access my mail using safari. Thanks a lot

Talk to the college IT admin to get the correct settings. I'll take a stab at what they might be.

Incoming Mail Server: mail.examplecollege.edu

Username: [email protected]

Password: <your email password>

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.examplecollege.edu

You may or may not need authentication on your outgoing settings. If you do, they'll likely be the same as your incoming username and password.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ?? anyone
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tgiblin View Post

?? anyone

What is the question? Karelia seems to have given you a reasonable answer. I believe if you start mail when you don't have an account it will ask you to create one. If it doesn't, go to preferences under the Mail menu and select the accounts tab and click the plus button to create a new account. Fill in the information as Karelia suggested. If that doesn't work, ask your network administrator for the correct addresses.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I'd like to know the answer to this too. I went to the college's IT department and was told - emphatically - NO.

I tried setting up an account with my college e-mail, but it didn't work. If the choices are POP or IMAP and neither of them work, what do you do next?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I went to the college's IT department and was told - emphatically - NO.

If the IT department won't allow this, then I suggest getting yourself a Google Gmail, Hotmail, Microsoft live mail or Yahoo email account - they're FREE. Hacking the college IT system for email doesn't sound (to me) like a worthy endeavor?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSin View Post

If the IT department won't allow this, then I suggest getting yourself a Google Gmail, Hotmail, Microsoft live mail or Yahoo email account - they're FREE. Hacking the college IT system for email doesn't sound (to me) like a worthy endeavor?

I didn't mean the IT department forbade me to download my email. They said NO. It wasn't possible. I've been trying to prove they're wrong. So far, they're right.

I have other e-mail accounts and an applet called "Mail Forward" that rounds email up in seconds from 4 different accounts, brings them into my ISP which automatically downloads them into MacMail. I was just too lazy to have to actually go to my college email, sign in and then go through a maze to get that email.

Edit: There's another factor: the college email system recognizes ONLY Internet Explorer and as you know, MS doesn't support IE for Mac's anymore. SOOO, I have to use an old version which is a pain in the butt. It also requires me to use Outlook which is another pain especially since I don't even use Entourage. When I'm in my office, I can use the college system to access email and it automatically comes up in Outlook on the colleges PC's.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    They're telling you that the only way to get and send email with your edu account is through the webmail interface? That has to be wrong..
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

They're telling you that the only way to get and send email with your edu account is through the webmail interface? That has to be wrong..

That's what I think too, John, but I haven't figured out how to do it using MacMail. POP and IMAP don't work and I don't know what else to use.

BTW, I apologize if I said something wrong in that post about a newbie posting in Future Hardware instead of Current Hardware. I noted that you deleted most of it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Only IE? It sounds like your school's IT department needs to pull their collective head out of their collective ass. The only people that intentionally use IE anymore (Macs and PC's alike) are the people who don't know better.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    I think I know what is going wrong here. There are basically two types of email. One is POP or IMAP email, like AOL, Earthlink, etc. With POP mail you can set up an account in any mail program.

The other type is Microsoft Exchange mail. It sounds like you guy's schools use this. Lots of companies use it. Exchange email has advanced security features that POP email doesn't. You can only get this email by setting it up in Outlook on Windows or Entourage on the Mac.

If you read the Mac news you will probably have seen that business users can't use the iPhone as a serious tool because it doesn't support Exchange email. Comapnaies only allow Exchange meail rather than POP/IMAP email because it is much more secure. The admin can set up the Microsoft Exchange server in different ways. Sometimes you can access the email through Outlook Web Access, if the admin wants to allow that. Very rarely will they turn on the setting that lets you get Exchange email by converting it to POP email and getting it like any other POP email, because doing that greatly reduces security.

So if you have got the server settings from someone and they don't work in Mail, try setting up an Exchange email account in Entourage, and you can probably get the email that way, assuming you have entourage. Or set up an Exchange email account in Outlook on Windows to test it. When you add an email account in Outlook it first asks you whether you want POP/IMAP or Exchange.

This link tells about Exchange support in Entourage:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...x?pid=exup2004
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler View Post

So if you have got the server settings from someone and they don't work in Mail, try setting up an Exchange email account in Entourage, and you can probably get the email that way, assuming you have entourage. Or set up an Exchange email account in Outlook on Windows to test it. When you add an email account in Outlook it first asks you whether you want POP/IMAP or Exchange.

]

Your explanation sounds plausible and I'll try that path.

I do have Entourage and tried setting up an Exchange email account. However, this is what I get:

Account Setup Assistant

Automatic Configuration Failed

The assistant was unable to determine the following account

Settings based on the Exchange account: [email protected]

Name

Exchange server

Directory server

Free/Busy server

To complete the setup by entering your Exchange account settings

Manually, click the right arrow. You can get the necessary

Information from your network administrator.

It looks like I'll still need the "necessary information" from my network administrator and I doubt it will be forthcoming for the "security" reasons you stated.

Thanks anyway. At least I know why I can't get it to work.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    for outgoing mail server make sure you put smtp.mail or webmail.college.edu

incomming is mail.college.edu