printer networking

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
anyone have advice on networking a usb printer over a local lan? I would also like to add an older Personal Laserwriter ntr to the net. any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Hook it up to your Mac, turn it on, check that it works, turn printer sharing on and you're done.

As long as both your Mac and the printer is turned on every Mac on your _local_ LAN (within one hub/router/swith) should be able to print to it.

For Windows machines to be able to print to it I believe that you in 10.3-10.4 have to turn on Windows Sharing as well. Don't know about 10.5.

-matts
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Some routers also have a USB port to attach a printer. It gets given an IP address and you just set it up in Printer Prefs as an "IP Printer"

Works for me with my Draytek Vigor 2800VG router and means I don't have to leave my Mac on for other people to use the printer. The only slight minor point is I have to use the Gutenprint (was gimp-print in 10.4) drivers which don't seem to support the duplex feeder on my old HP 970Cxi printer.