iTunes won't make ringtones from some music? Help!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Why can't i make ringtones on some of the songs i have purchased through iTunes? I keep getting the message "no longer can be made into a ringtone" On certain songs from certain albums.

Can someone explain?

Thanks,

Buddy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    It seems that the artists/whoever owns the rights to the music have been pulling different songs off from being made into a ringtone. i've seen that on some of my songs, but i just use garageband so i don't have to pay that extra 99¢ for the ringtones
  • Reply 2 of 48
    That doesn't make sense, your buying the ringtone just the same. I will try garageband, thanks for the info.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    I tried garageband, didn't work. once you export to iTunes it imports it as another song. I understand you have to have bought a song from the iTunes store to make it into a ringtone anyways. I noticed that any music i have imported into iTunes that was not bought through the iTunes store cant be made into a ringtone for the iPhone. So how are you using garageband to make ringtones for your iPhone?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Never-mind, i figured it out
  • Reply 5 of 48
    I'd like to know how to do this. Any info would be great.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    You have to rename the file with an m4r extension. Then iTunes will recognize it as a ringtone.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Maybe if they just allowed mp3s to be used as ringtones in the first places this whole hassle could have been avoided.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Maybe if they just allowed mp3s to be used as ringtones in the first places this whole hassle could have been avoided.

Hey, everyone, it?s the ?2007 Greatest Know-it-all that in fact knows-nothing? ? bavlondon2! At it again, huh bavlondon2? Starting early to win the 2008 award?

Perhaps if you knew what you were talking about it would occur to you that the recording/music companies are the ones that are doing their best to dictate the terms of digital music. Regardless of what device music is played on, artists and music companies rightfully want to be paid for their hard work. I agree with them. I just don't agree with all the terms some music companies are striving for, such as trying to get Apple to raise their standard prices, etc..

In case it was something you also didn't know, there's a writer's strike and they rightfully want to be better compensated for online distribution of their work, such as movies they have written. Oh, I see, you're the kind of person who wants to pay once for a movie or song and then use it for twenty different purposes than what it was originally intended for, at no further cost, huh? Well, don't feel bad, there are plenty of people that feel that way. I'm not one of them.

My point is that it's not up to Apple to magically decide to let the iPhone use all the mp3 music (or other digital content for that matter) be used without having some form of payment/security for using it. The music and films we buy are not, technically, ours to own outright, we are buying the use of it for personal purposes, not splice and dice it up into a ringtone, doorbell chime, answering machine greeting, posters, etc..

In reality, as the iTunes ringtone service becomes more successful more artists and companies will join. Those that own rights just want to keep those rights. Once you do something creative, bavlondon2, you just might want to protect those rights too.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    And they said the iphone was a "smartphone". Yeah smart in the way they keep finding things to charge you for lol. You seem to be making a bigger fuss than is needed. It really is as simple as just putting on a function to allow mp3s to be used as ringtones. Do you think Nokia or anyone else wory about that sort of thing? No I didnt think so and they have been making phones for years.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

And they said the iphone was a "smartphone". Yeah smart in the way they keep finding things to charge you for lol. You seem to be making a bigger fuss than is needed. It really is as simple as just putting on a function to allow mp3s to be used as ringtones. Do you think Nokia or anyone else wory about that sort of thing? No I didnt think so and they have been making phones for years.

Bav, what are you talking about now? Is there anything you really know something about?
  • Reply 11 of 48
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

Ok, I admit, you got me. You know how to make smily faces.
  • Reply 13 of 48
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Hey, come on, I said I admit it. You know something. You don't have to rub it in.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Wow that's annoying.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    I know what you mean, Ireland. It figures what bav does know how to do ends up being annoying. But at times that pales to the misspelled nonsense that waffles out of his keyboard in various topics.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wow that's annoying.

• Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post

I know what you mean, Ireland. It figures what bav does know how to do ends up being annoying. But at times that pales to the misspelled nonsense that waffles out of his keyboard in various topics.

You're really annoyed that he had you on the A2DP Bluetooth profiles aren't you. I can tell. Or that he's right about ringtones.

Go on, be the bigger (wo)man and admit it.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

You're really annoyed that he had you on the A2DP Bluetooth profiles aren't you. I can tell. Or that he's right about ringtones.

Go on, be the bigger (wo)man and admit it.

Haha, I'm not annoyed, aegisdesign, merely amused. It doesn't take a 5th grader to realize that bav can't spell worth anything and considering how he mashes words together and rarely uses proper grammar, he really could have meant something completely different. Let's quote :

Quote:

Ok heres one thing you cant argue that the iphone needs - A2DP

With music being one of the iphones main points I find it silly that wireless music isnt supported yet.

Well, bav could have meant the same thing that cell phone companies were saying about the iPhone months ago, that users had to buy all their content on their computers and then transfer it to their iPhone, rather than buy their music wirelessly. Recently the iTunes Wi-Fi store came out, such as through Starbucks, so users can now purchase their music wirelessly. So I assumed that's what bav was talking about.

Quote:

Ok, aegisdesign, visit the topic "Slow Release of iPhone Updates" and discover one of our members said this :

Quote:
    Originally Posted by draggerman11 View Post

Just a relevant point here:

The iPhone does support free ringtones. Garageband has an export to ringtone function, which makes whatever audio you put into it a ringtone for the iPhone.

Again, goes to show exactly what bav doesn't know about the iPhone. One moment he says the iPhone doesn't have ringtones, which I'll give you the recent quote if you like - the next, after someone (perhaps me) explains that it in fact does, he then turns around and complains that people have to pay for those ringtones.

Honestly, a child's game of "I know something you don't know". When, apparently, there is very little that bav knows which is actually correct.

Bav and aegisdesign, ever heard of an NDA? Well if you have, then it's very likely bav would be under one. It's even more likely the person that somehow gave bav whatever "inside info" he knows about the iPhone would under one too - big time.

Haha, oh, it's too much.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post

Haha, I'm not annoyed, aegisdesign, merely amused. It doesn't take a 5th grader to realize that bav can't spell worth anything and considering how he mashes words together and rarely uses proper grammar, he really could have meant something completely different. Let's quote :

Well, bav could have meant the same thing that cell phone companies were saying about the iPhone months ago, that users had to buy all their content on their computers and then transfer it to their iPhone, rather than buy their music wirelessly. Recently the iTunes Wi-Fi store came out, such as through Starbucks, so users can now purchase their music wirelessly. So I assumed that's what bav was talking about.

Ok, aegisdesign, visit the topic "Slow Release of iPhone Updates" and discover one of our members said this :

Again, goes to show exactly what bav doesn't know about the iPhone. One moment he says the iPhone doesn't have ringtones, which I'll give you the recent quote if you like - the next, after someone (perhaps me) explains that it in fact does, he then turns around and complains that people have to pay for those ringtones.

Honestly, a child's game of "I know something you don't know". When, apparently, there is very little that bav knows which is actually correct.

Bav and aegisdesign, ever heard of an NDA? Well if you have, then it's very likely bav would be under one. It's even more likely the person that somehow gave bav whatever "inside info" he knows about the iPhone would under one too - big time.

Haha, oh, it's too much.

In future I will dumb everything down so you can understand it first time lol

Anyone knows that A2DP means wireless music through a A2DP bluetooth profile.

And as hes already pointed out iphones ringtone system is completley unique and is a far cry from the basic form of using mp3s as ringtones. Infact someone couldnt even bluetooth a ringtone over to iphone as it doesnt even support yet another bluetooth profile -file transfer. You seem to keep going on about my errors with spelling. Cant you just admit you didnt know what A2DP stood for?