Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros

1141516171820»

Comments

• Reply 381 of 398
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Mac Pro (formerly Power Mac) introductions are all about the Photoshop head-to-heads.

Nowadays, I imagine that's expanded to include Final Cut and Aperture head-to-heads as well.

Those happen primarily at larger shows where Jobs is guaranteed to have a large receptive audience, and lots of control to manage the intro.

That generally means MWSF or WWDC.

With the profit-laden Mac Pro overdue for its first complete overhaul in five years and the first of the Intel era, you had better believe Jobs isn't leaving this to some half-baked special event for reporters.
  • Reply 382 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But I don't remember one. I've only been watching since the first G5, which is a bit over four years ago.

This is where a lot of people get confused. Many people think the many speedbumps of the Cheese Grater design of recent years count as an Intro. They do not.

Most of today's Mac market has never seen Apple introduce a complete overhaul (interior and exterior) to the Professional line.

Before the Cheese Grater debuted, you would have to go back to the debut of the BlueBerry G3, which if memory serves, was Jobs' first redo of the line after the Beige era.
  • Reply 383 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Mac Pro (formerly Power Mac) introductions are all about the Photoshop head-to-heads.

Nowadays, I imagine that's expanded to include Final Cut and Aperture head-to-heads as well.

Those comparisons were done because it was G5s vs. the Pentiums: "Our chips are better than theirs" sort of thing. Now that everyone is using the same chips, it doesn't make sense to do that. But perhaps if they compared the new Mac Pros to the old ones...

If there was anything to show off, it would be a new case design with some innovative new features built in which aren't available in the other lines yet.
  • Reply 384 of 398
    Quote:

This is where a lot of people get confused. Many people think the many speedbumps of the Cheese Grater design of recent years count as an Intro. They do not.

Most of today's Mac market has never seen Apple introduce a complete overhaul (interior and exterior) to the Professional line.

Before the Cheese Grater debuted, you would have to go back to the debut of the BlueBerry G3, which if memory serves, was Jobs' first redo of the line after the Beige era.

There have been plenty of significant milestones beyond just the blueberry and the initial cheese grater... just hanging the intro label on case replacements doesn't do the various machines justice. Can you really ignore the transition from PowerMac to MacPro just because it didn't replace the case's outward appearance? Virtually everything else about the machine changed! The G3 -> G4 transition was also a major milestone (and a painful one at that). The arrival of the dual core G5 was also notable.
  • Reply 385 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

There have been plenty of significant milestones beyond just the blueberry and the initial cheese grater... just hanging the intro label on case replacements doesn't do the various machines justice. Can you really ignore the transition from PowerMac to MacPro just because it didn't replace the case's outward appearance? Virtually everything else about the machine changed! The G3 -> G4 transition was also a major milestone (and a painful one at that). The arrival of the dual core G5 was also notable.

That's certainly true. However, what I was trying to convey was that a lot of the present Mac market has actually never seen Apple do a total overhaul of the insides AND outsides of the Pro line.

Assuming that's what happens this year, I doubt Apple would settle for a simple Press Event to introduce the machine to the Professional market.
  • Reply 386 of 398
    Quote:

That's certainly true. However, what I was trying to convey was that a lot of the present Mac market has actually never seen Apple do a total overhaul of the insides AND outsides of the Pro line.

Assuming that's what happens this year, I doubt Apple would settle for a simple Press Event to introduce the machine to the Professional market.

Well unless they have something else that's even bigger (and I don't know what that would be), I agree with you. The new MacPro as the star of the keynote, and the "one more thing" being the rumoured sub-notebook would make some degree of sense. They're only going to do a separate event if they have too much to fit into the keynote... and the iMacs are relatively new, the MB & MBP were recently revved and there is little credible rumours of anything else. Of course, that's just the way Jobs likes it.
  • Reply 387 of 398
    If they release this sub-notebook under the Macbook Pro line, all ideas that they don't release "Pro" hardware at Macworld should go out the window.
  • Reply 388 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suneohair View Post

If they release this sub-notebook under the Macbook Pro line, all ideas that they don't release "Pro" hardware at Macworld should go out the window.

You are a hard person to track down. Welcome back! Hopefully this machine gets released by MacWorld, otherwise, I think I am just gonna buy. I've been waiting for too long.
  • Reply 389 of 398
    While we're on the subject...after doing some comparison shopping...I know we have been over this before...but Apple needs to reduce their notebook pricing in order to remain competitive. I spec'd a comparable Dell notebook to an top model 15-inch MacBook Pro and it was $300 cheaper with the same or better specs than Apple.

The rumored ultra light notebook should be a the next MacBook replacement...and the entire MacBook / MacBook Pro line should be unified. Drop the pricing on the 15" to $1,599 and quit it with this lousy product differentiation based on screen size.
  • Reply 390 of 398
    It seems like the only places that talks about new Mac Pro introduction.. are forums!

New iPhones, new sub-notebook even new Apple TV rumours are floating around but no one predict new pro desktops or displays.

So when I get down by browsing those predictions, it feel good to come here, in the reality distortion field, to get a little hope about new Mac Pro. Thanks guys!

---

On the plus-side, my office computer, bought in november '06 is still available from the Apple Store!
  • Reply 391 of 398
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ViralRacoon View Post

So when I get down by browsing those predictions, it feel good to come here, in the reality distortion field, to get a little hope about new Mac Pro. Thanks guys!

Surprise! They are here today, a week BEFORE MWSF. They'll elicit a yawn from some (since they are just a natural continuation of a solid lineup), and excitement from others (since they are the bleeding edge of Mac performance).
  • Reply 392 of 398
    Lol! so I guess thats why it was not a MWSF rumours..

**grab Visa card
  • Reply 393 of 398
    The standard config's gone up (for Canadians) from $2799 to $2899. Even with our high dollar.

Maybe they're creating room in the middle for a seriously upgraded Mini (or other headless Mac.)
  • Reply 394 of 398
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

The standard config's gone up (for Canadians) from $2799 to $2899. Even with our high dollar.

Maybe they're creating room in the middle for a seriously upgraded Mini (or other headless Mac.)

It's better than before when the standard config was US$2499 and 2799 CAD + taxes.

The cheapest config is now 2399 CAD (single quad 2.8) and should be faster that the old 2.66 dual dual.
  • Reply 395 of 398
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

There are many ways to slice this. I'd say the major announcement is a new AppleTV and then the video rentals, or the other way around. This two items kind of go together. The one more thing will be the Mac sub-notebook.

This leave the Mac Pro, a professional product, to be announced before the consumer oriented Macworld.

Does this mean I get to say 'I told you so?'

• Reply 396 of 398
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'm right there with you....... lol @ the ones saying it wouldn't even be released at or before mwsf .
  • Reply 397 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Does this mean I get to say 'I told you so?'

I'll eat crow over this one as well. I still don't understand why Apple has not updated the displays for such a long time if they knew the next rev of the Mac Pro would have the same design.
  • Reply 398 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Well we're approaching the two week mark to announcement. Anyone here think Apple has gone so consumer base that Steve won't mention the Mac Pro January 15th? I think that's absurd.

Did you fall off the earth Multi??