Why (all of a sudden) can't Vista Search Find anything in my iTunes Library?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sometimes iTunes forgets the storage location of groups of tracks in my iTunes library and lets me know by displaying an exclamation mark next to the track/s title in my main music playlist within the iTunes program . . .

For six months (whenever this has happened) I have simply ran a vista search in my iTunes music library file & this search facility has always found any track wih ease, so allowing me to go back into the iTunes program & click any track with an exclamation mark against it & match it back up with the forgotten storage location . . .

However for some unexplained reason the Vista search engine (without any explanation why) cannot find anything at all within my iTunes library file.

For example, I have over 200 madonna tracks in my library alone and all of a sudden Vista cannot even find the name madonna in my iTunes library, yet when I manually scrole down the library file alphabetically, that particular file is obviously there!

Does anyone know why this is happening?

My iTunes library is the only "blind spot" that the Vista search engine has, yet it always performed perfectly before!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calicomoonchild View Post

Sometimes iTunes forgets the storage location of groups of tracks in my iTunes library and lets me know by displaying an exclamation mark next to the track/s title in my main music playlist within the iTunes program . . .

For six months (whenever this has happened) I have simply ran a vista search in my iTunes music library file & this search facility has always found any track wih ease, so allowing me to go back into the iTunes program & click any track with an exclamation mark against it & match it back up with the forgotten storage location . . .

However for some unexplained reason the Vista search engine (without any explanation why) cannot find anything at all within my iTunes library file.

For example, I have over 200 madonna tracks in my library alone and all of a sudden Vista cannot even find the name madonna in my iTunes library, yet when I manually scrole down the library file alphabetically, that particular file is obviously there!

Does anyone know why this is happening?

My iTunes library is the only "blind spot" that the Vista search engine has, yet it always performed perfectly before!

So you don't have a mac, AND on a PC you use Vista?

I use XP, but maybe the files are hidden on your PC.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sansa11` View Post

I use XP, but maybe the files are hidden on your PC.

This is not about hardware/ software snobbery, it is about 2 systems that were working in comparitive harmony with one another for a considerable period of time then stopped doing so without explanation (and between software updates).

• Reply 3 of 4
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Too bad.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calicomoonchild View Post

So you did not touch the library contents in any way? iTunes shouldn't be just "forgetting". I have never seen that kind of behavior. It's a symptom of something, and whatever causes it could very well be behind the search failing as well.

I'd run a full check on the hard drive in case it's dying, and if that comes out negative, rebuild the iTunes library and see if the symptoms continue.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sansa11` View Post

You don't score any points by being rude. Every operating system has its problems and a lot of long-time posters here run other OS's in addition to OS X.