Apple Q108 results webcast Jan. 22nd; more on iPhone 1.1.3 leak

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Inc. intends to discuss its results for the just-ended fiscal quarter in late January. Also, a video has surfaced of the major changes rumored to accompany the iPhone's 1.1.3 firmware upgrade.

Apple's first fiscal quarter results due Jan. 22

Apple has posted a notice for investors that it will discuss the results of its first fiscal quarter of 2008 on January 22nd.

The Mac maker says it will host a conference call and live webcast to discuss its performance during the quarter, which ends today.

Recent analyst reports have suggested that Apple will outperform its guidance for the quarter in iPod and Mac sales during the three-month period, which has already been characterized as unusually positive.

Video purports to confirm, explain iPhone 1.1.3 details

After drawing attention through its initial iPhone 1.1.3 leak, Gear Live has responded with a detailed video highlighting the new features found in the increasingly likely (though unconfirmed) update.

The clip particularly highlights the adjustable home screen and Google Maps' simulated GPS location features. The former lets users rearrange icons by keeping a finger pressed on any given icon; the entire icon set then "wiggles," letting users drag or delete icons similar to Dashboard widgets. Owners with large app lists can place icons in a second home panel that slides into view much as albums do in Apple's iTunes Store.

In turn, the circle that provides the iPhone's approximate location varies in size depending on the accuracy of the position lock: the circle gets smaller as the cellular towers provide a better transmission, according to the website. The location feature will also work in the handset's point-by-point navigation mode, though it's not clear whether updates will occur quickly enough to be useful in real-time conditions.

The demonstration also reveals that sending text messages to multiple users is simple, but doesn't create chat threads similar to those for individual conversations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Let the hacking begin!
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Very cool and fun new stuff. My resistance to the iPhone is getting weaker.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Why is his network "Nate"?
  • Reply 4 of 52
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markaceto View Post

Why is his network "Nate"?

Why not? Mine is "Air"
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Very cool and fun new stuff. My resistance to the iPhone is getting weaker.

The only slight problem buying now might be that 3G and/or 16GB might be on its way in the next few months....

I just hope that it gets voice-dialing ; looks like my other big complaint -- cut/copy/paste -- might be addressed!
  • Reply 6 of 52
    I'm sure we'll get a mini report on sales and earnings at MacWorld the week prior. Especially if it's good info!

(I was initially concerned the conference call was scheduled the week after MacWorld, but checked and confirmed last year followed the same schedule.)
  • Reply 7 of 52
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Soo... what this means is that he's not on AT&T network and that implies he has a jailbroken/hacktivated 1.1.3? Shouldn't Apple have fixed that little oktoprep problem in 1.1.3? Actually that would be the first thing to do.

Also as some people have already noted 1.1.3 isn't supposed to be bringing new major features (such as the icon dragging or google's quasi-GPS), the changes belong in 1.2.x branch, not 1.1.x.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bignumbers View Post

I'm sure we'll get a mini report on sales and earnings at MacWorld the week prior. Especially if it's good info!

(I was initially concerned the conference call was scheduled the week after MacWorld, but checked and confirmed last year followed the same schedule.)

For as long as I can (easily) recall -- at least, during the past decade -- the two have always been within a couple of weeks of each other (i.e., MW preceding the conference call)?

• Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In turn, the circle that provides the iPhone's approximate location varies in size depending on the accuracy of the position lock: the circle gets smaller as the cellular towers provide a better transmission, according to the website. The location feature will also work in the handset's point-by-point navigation mode, though it's not clear whether updates will occur quickly enough to be useful in real-time conditions.

Why use this "simulated" approach to location? The smartphone version of Google maps supports a Bluetooth GPS and the iPhone has Bluetooth built in, so all of the hardware pieces are there. It's just a matter of writing the software hooks.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:

It's always been good news for the past few years

Steve will brag about numbers with more mainstream appeal (# of songs and movies sold, # of Mac and iPhones, web apps, etc.) and the conference call will put big ol' dollar figures on the same. It's really unlikely that the conference call will seem disappointing in the light of the keynote - if anything, the earnings will seem even more impressive because the keynote won't mention things like AT&T revenue sharing.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheBum View Post

Why use this "simulated" approach to location? The smartphone version of Google maps supports a Bluetooth GPS and the iPhone has Bluetooth built in, so all of the hardware pieces are there. It's just a matter of writing the software hooks.

All the hardware pieces except an actual GPS chip, you mean? Are you saying you think that a BT unit is automatically a GPS receiver?

Of course Apple could make a separate GPS unit for iPhone, but I'm sure they see it that as a clumsy option, and rightly so.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:

It depends what you mean by "mini."

There are laws regarding disclosure of annual and quarterly results. And unless Apple has filed their K-8 Form prior to the Macworld conference you're not going to hear much from Jobs that would contravene the regulations.

You might get a sound bite that Santa was good, very good. However, you won't be apprised of earnings. Macworld is not the place to make that type of announcement.

"Effective March 28, 2003, all public companies must file within five business days of any public announcement or release disclosing material non-public information about the company's results of operations or financial condition for an annual or quarterly fiscal period that has ended." http://www.fredlaw.com/articles/corp..._0309_rkr.html
  • Reply 13 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Soo... what this means is that he's not on AT&T network and that implies he has a jailbroken/hacktivated 1.1.3? Shouldn't Apple have fixed that little oktoprep problem in 1.1.3? Actually that would be the first thing to do.

Also as some people have already noted 1.1.3 isn't supposed to be bringing new major features (such as the icon dragging or google's quasi-GPS), the changes belong in 1.2.x branch, not 1.1.x.

1) Some still think this is fake (I'm not on of them)

2) Apple may make this a 1.2 release when if finally hits their servers

3) There is no law requiring the version number to increment in a certain way depending on features released.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Apple may make this a 1.2 release when if finally hits their servers.

Yeah I was going to say something about that. 1.2 makes more sense.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheBum View Post

The pieces aren't necessarily all there already. Apple's version of Google Maps is not made by Google. Apple merely ties into Google's map server with their own program. But it's probably not that much extra code to enable BT GPS support.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

All the hardware pieces except an actual GPS chip, you mean? Are you saying you think that a BT unit is automatically a GPS receiver?

I don't think you're aware of what's available, there are separate Bluetooth GPS units. I think one by Garmin and another by another brand. It's screenless, it depends on some other device connecting to it to read off the data stream. It offers some advantages too, you can place it somewhere with better reception and your main unit only needs to be in range of the GPS unit.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Is this considered journalistic license or something? Otherwise, I don't get it. In my experience, this has always been done anonymously. But his guy is putting his mug up on the net for all to see. Do they have immunity? Is this question addressed somewhere that I missed? I'm genuinely asking.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iluomo View Post

Is this considered journalistic license or something? Otherwise, I don't get it. In my experience, this has always been done anonymously. But his guy is putting his mug up on the net for all to see. Do they have immunity? Is this question addressed somewhere that I missed? I'm genuinely asking.

Good question!
  • Reply 18 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iluomo View Post

Welcome to the AI forums. It is a good question. Apple has threatened to sue over a lot less. They also know his approximate location via the Google maps locater.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Welcome to the AI forums. It is a good question. Apple has threatened to sue over a lot less. They also know his approximate location via the Google maps locater.

I can honestly see apple suing over this. However, it could still be a hacked iPhone even though they said it wasn't. Pretty advanced hack though, and stuff like the 'wiggles' would be something I could honestly see Apple doing after the stacks in Leopard. But a question arises, if one can move the icons which are permanent into the dock, then why not get rid of it completely? I know that wireless iTunes is always a bane on my credit card bill.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It depends what you mean by "mini."

There are laws regarding disclosure of annual and quarterly results. And unless Apple has filed their K-8 Form prior to the Macworld conference you're not going to hear much from Jobs that would contravene the regulations.

You might get a sound bite that Santa was good, very good. However, you won't be apprised of earnings. Macworld is not the place to make that type of announcement.

"Effective March 28, 2003, all public companies must file within five business days of any public announcement or release disclosing material non-public information about the company's results of operations or financial condition for an annual or quarterly fiscal period that has ended." http://www.fredlaw.com/articles/corp..._0309_rkr.html

Last year, at least (I don't remember before that) Jobs did give some actual numbers. Sales, earnings, etc. He even mentioned that he cleared it with their auditors first.