Landscape Architect will Probably Have to Go to Dark Side

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I need a new computer.

This 7500 Frankenstein is not cutting it anymore. The problem is that software I MUST know for both the rest of my education and when I start job hunting is not available on Mac. The two programs at the top of that list are Autocad and ArcView GIS. I know, I know...there are many alternatives, at least to Autocad. I should know, I've used Vectorworks for years, and believe it and many other programs are more forward thinking. That means nothing, though, when an industry standard is so well entrenched and you are the low man on the totem pole with no power to influence purchasing decisions at a new job. I simply must know and work with these programs, for now.

Therefore, I think I'm going to have to buy a Windows machine. Virtual PC is not a solution, as far as I've heard. I hate the idea of this mainly because I don't like the Windows operating system. Every time I hear about all of the licensing, updating, compatibility issues people suffer from, I thank God I use a Mac.

I guess this is just turning into a bitch fest, but maybe someone out there has faced a similar quandary. Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    get the tool that does the job the best.

in your case its a PC... its not the end of the world
  • Reply 2 of 5
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Shrubman: Have you considered getting a new Mac and a cheap Wintel PC to run AutoCAD and ArcSoft GIS? If your Wintel box runs Windows XP Pro (or Windows 2000, I think), you can use the free Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection to run your Windows apps on your Windows box remotely from your Mac. For processor-hungry appls like AutoCAD and ArcSoft, this would be a good solution that isn't much more expensive than Virtual PC.

If you don't want to deal with RDC, you can also get a PowerMac, a Wintel PC, and a nice monitor with a KVM switch to share it between the Mac and PC. I'm considering both of these possibilities, because I like OS X so much that I wouldn't want to give it up anymore.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>Shrubman: Have you considered getting a new Mac and a cheap Wintel PC to run AutoCAD and ArcSoft GIS? If your Wintel box runs Windows XP Pro (or Windows 2000, I think), you can use the free Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection to run your Windows apps on your Windows box remotely from your Mac. ...(snip)

Escher</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm...never heard of this. maybe it's an option... Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Many mac users need to use both the mac and the PC. so dun feel that bad.

And remember that 96% of everyone else use a PC. So u are not alone.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Of course, by definition 50% of the population has an IQ lower than 100 as well, so company isn't always a good thing.

(Yes, yes, I know that this is a gross handwaving on the statistics involved, but just run with it as an allegory, m'kay?)