Apple Q108 results webcast Jan. 22nd; more on iPhone 1.1.3 leak

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soul View Post

I can honestly see apple suing over this. However, it could still be a hacked iPhone even though they said it wasn't. Pretty advanced hack though, and stuff like the 'wiggles' would be something I could honestly see Apple doing after the stacks in Leopard. But a question arises, if one can move the icons which are permanent into the dock, then why not get rid of it completely? I know that wireless iTunes is always a bane on my credit card bill.

Perhaps (hopefully!) Apple is learning that something like this, which is just software, and will be distributed to all the old phones as well as arriving with new phones, is not something that will impede sales of current phones, so they're letting it go.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iluomo View Post

Is this considered journalistic license or something? Otherwise, I don't get it. In my experience, this has always been done anonymously. But his guy is putting his mug up on the net for all to see. Do they have immunity? Is this question addressed somewhere that I missed? I'm genuinely asking.

The ones that made the 1.1.3 software update (and the video) public, especially on their own website, could very well be in a lot of trouble. However, rather than sending a letter to "cease and desist", Apple might wait for MacWorld, then take action.

That way they can spend the next two weeks researching how to figure possible damages, along with who likely violated their NDA. Regardless, it seems the video makes it pretty clear that the man in question wants people to enter some contest on his website, to win a custom painted iPhone. If they have other ads on their website or forums (if they have one) then that's more ammunition for Apple to make the case those involved did this for financial gain. The timing of releasing this information is also suspect, as it is within two weeks of MacWorld - an annual event in which Steve might announce the same information.

I'm just glad I had nothing to do with it - that is, even if I knew anything more about the iPhone than the rest of you do (and I don't).
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Last year, at least (I don't remember before that) Jobs did give some actual numbers. Sales, earnings, etc. He even mentioned that he cleared it with their auditors first.

Apple filed its 2006 Annual Report on Dec. 29th, 2006, which ended on Sept. 30th.

Sales and earnings, i.e., for their first fiscal quarter covering October, November and December 2006 weren't filed until February 2nd 2007.

Apple has gotten its last Annual Report filing in 5 weeks earlier than in the previous year and will by the announcement a couple of weeks sooner for its first quarterly submission. In all cases, until the filings are done, they can't divulge its respective earnings for at least another 5 days after the filing.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Apple filed its 2006 Annual Report on Dec. 29th, 2006, which ended on Sept. 30th.

Sales and earnings, i.e., for their first fiscal quarter covering October, November and December 2006 weren't filed until February 2nd 2007.

Apple has gotten its last Annual Report filing in 5 weeks earlier than in the previous year and will by the announcement a couple of weeks sooner for its first quarterly submission. In all cases, until the filings are done, they can't divulge its respective earnings for at least another 5 days after the filing.

They gave results for the December quarter.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think you're aware of what's available, there are separate Bluetooth GPS units. I think one by Garmin and another by another brand. It's screenless, it depends on some other device connecting to it to read off the data stream. It offers some advantages too, you can place it somewhere with better reception and your main unit only needs to be in range of the GPS unit.

There's literally hundreds of external Bluetooth enabled GPS units with no screen. The advantage of them is that because they're externally powered, they don't suck your phone dry when on. You can therefore leave them on all the time, especially if they're wired in to a car. On batteries, they can often last 20 hours too just slung in your rucksack.

One of the problems with GPS enabled phones, apart from power, is that you've got a long wait waiting for them to find satellites. If you farm that off to an always on external device, GPS lookups on your phone are quick.

In some ways, Google Maps use of cell tower information is preferable to GPS for quick lookups but GPS is certainly more accurate once you've got the satellites.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:

You're right. But I think things had got delayed a bit because of the options backdating issues.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

There's literally hundreds of external Bluetooth enabled GPS units with no screen. The advantage of them is that because they're externally powered, they don't suck your phone dry when on. You can therefore leave them on all the time, especially if they're wired in to a car. On batteries, they can often last 20 hours too just slung in your rucksack.

One of the problems with GPS enabled phones, apart from power, is that you've got a long wait waiting for them to find satellites. If you farm that off to an always on external device, GPS lookups on your phone are quick.

In some ways, Google Maps use of cell tower information is preferable to GPS for quick lookups but GPS is certainly more accurate once you've got the satellites.

There are bunches of these units available for my Treo, but, even though I've always wanted one, I've never really found a good use for them. If it were built-in, that would be different.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:

It depends what you mean by "mini."

There are laws regarding disclosure of annual and quarterly results. And unless Apple has filed their K-8 Form prior to the Macworld conference you're not going to hear much from Jobs that would contravene the regulations.

You might get a sound bite that Santa was good, very good. However, you won't be apprised of earnings. Macworld is not the place to make that type of announcement.

"Effective March 28, 2003, all public companies must file within five business days of any public announcement or release disclosing material non-public information about the company's results of operations or financial condition for an annual or quarterly fiscal period that has ended." http://www.fredlaw.com/articles/corp..._0309_rkr.html

They have released results of sales, but not earnings, before annual and quarterly reports. They will release sales numbers at the conference again and that alone will make the stock jump before quarterly reports are given. Steve does what he wants to do. Look good. Bet u it jeans and black turtleneck lol . APPL will be $600 in 18 months ,,, but i can wait 2 or 3 years . 5 million iphones sold is what i expect. But sales of laptops is what is driving earnings, not just iphones.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

There are bunches of these units available for my Treo, but, even though I've always wanted one, I've never really found a good use for them. If it were built-in, that would be different.

My phone runs TomTom Mobile so a bluetooth GPS is actually cheaper than buying a TomTom unit and since the touchscreen on my p910i is 3" diagonal, it's pretty reasonable for GPS too, even in a car. It has the same interface as the bigger dedicated units and is quite easy to use even with a finger instead of the stylus.

There's a few decent data logging GPS units that are OSX compatible too like the Wintec units, so you can just sling the thing in your bag and let it log your route without the phone. The later Wintecs also have a push-to-log button so you can take a photo and log it as a waypoint, then get home and match up your photos with the route.

All that in one unit though would be nice but sadly the iPhone's camera is just too bad to be useful for the type of landscape shots I take and useless at action shots.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

My phone runs TomTom Mobile so a bluetooth GPS is actually cheaper than buying a TomTom unit and since the touchscreen on my p910i is 3" diagonal, it's pretty reasonable for GPS too, even in a car. It has the same interface as the bigger dedicated units and is quite easy to use even with a finger instead of the stylus.

There's a few decent data logging GPS units that are OSX compatible too like the Wintec units, so you can just sling the thing in your bag and let it log your route without the phone. The later Wintecs also have a push-to-log button so you can take a photo and log it as a waypoint, then get home and match up your photos with the route.

All that in one unit though would be nice but sadly the iPhone's camera is just too bad to be useful for the type of landscape shots I take and useless at action shots.

You see, I haven't driven since I was in my early 20's. If I did, I would have had a GPS from the time they first came out. But, otherwise, for me, it would just be something for fun.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

You see, I haven't driven since I was in my early 20's. If I did, I would have had a GPS from the time they first came out. But, otherwise, for me, it would just be something for fun.

Yep. That's why I find the data logging units and a phone more useful than a dedicated car unit. I use them on my bike. Just sling it in the camelback or handlebar mount it.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Curious. Why don't you drive?

A) You live in big metropolitan area with excellent public transportation

B) You have physical impairment that prevents you from driving

C) Legal reasons

D) You prefer to be chauffeured around in your Rolls Royce procured from early investing in Apple stock

E) You are an AI bot
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Curious. Why don't you drive?

A) You live in big metropolitan area with excellent public transportation

B) You have physical impairment that prevents you from driving

C) Legal reasons

D) You prefer to be chauffeured around in your Rolls Royce procured from early investing in Apple stock

E) You are an AI bot

Well, my first inclination is to go with "E". It just feels so right.

But, mostly, I'll settle for "A".

I was given a new, big, car when I was 18, but living in Brooklyn, there was little room to park. After several years of parking blocks away from my apartment, and riding around to get even that close, I sold it. I intended to get a smaller one, but between college, and my demanding job in advertising, and working in the A M Natural History at the same time, I had no time to think about ti.

One day, I was going to rent a car, and found out that my license had expired. Apparently, I didn't get the mailed notice, and so not driving, hadn't thought about it. I would have had to do the driving test over again, and so I kept putting it off.

Living in New York, and not really being that fond of it to begin with I just never got around to doing it.

As for "D", my friend, and former business partner, has a Rolls, and so sometimes we go certain places in that.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:

They gave results for the December quarter.

Not at the Macworld 2000 Conference. Check out Jobs' keynote, it is available on iTunes.

There are laws. And as Jobs said in the keynote, the ((market) research) figures were not in for December yet during his comparison with the Zune.

Secondly, Apple's first quarter ends on Dec. 31. Which means that the auditors would only have 0* days to complete their due diligence, pass it by the board and get it filed before the they could quote anything at the conference.

* As the law requires, the filing must be within 5 business days of any public announcement. And since the filing could only be done on the following Tuesday Jan 2 to release the data publicaly to say anything during the keynote, leaves only New Year's day to do the audit and the report.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

They have released results of sales, but not earnings, before annual and quarterly reports. They will release sales numbers at the conference again and that alone will make the stock jump before quarterly reports are given. Steve does what he wants to do. Look good. Bet u it jeans and black turtleneck lol . APPL will be $600 in 18 months ,,, but i can wait 2 or 3 years . 5 million iphones sold is what i expect. But sales of laptops is what is driving earnings, not just iphones.

No public company would release actual sales or earning prior to the annual or quarterly reports! It is against the law and the shareholders would go bonkers.

What you may hear is independent market research results, and/or anecdotal trends or previous (filed) data. Nothing comes out until the Results are filed as stipulate in the law, i.e.,

"Effective March 28, 2003, all public companies must file within five business days of any public announcement or release disclosing material non-public information about the company's results of operations or financial condition for an annual or quarterly fiscal period that has ended." http://www.fredlaw.com/articles/corp..._0309_rkr.html
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Some still think this is fake (I'm not on of them)

2) Apple may make this a 1.2 release when if finally hits their servers

3) There is no law requiring the version number to increment in a certain way depending on features released.

I thought it was a little too convenient that the guy's web cam couldn't pick out the version number but the "demo" screen was super clear. Had they really been interested in showing the 1.1.3 they could've easily gone over to Settings and made it known.

There were also some sketchy times in the video playback that looked like bad edits. At times I thought there was some jerkiness in the playback.

Last thing... There sure was a lot of soliciting going on - it felt like a slick ploy to get viewers and email addresses.

Just my thoughts.

Jon
  • Reply 37 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnoh2 View Post

I thought it was a little too convenient that the guy's web cam couldn't pick out the version number but the "demo" screen was super clear. Had they really been interested in showing the 1.1.3 they could've easily gone over to Settings and made it known.

There were also some sketchy times in the video playback that looked like bad edits. At times I thought there was some jerkiness in the playback.

Last thing... There sure was a lot of soliciting going on - it felt like a slick ploy to get viewers and email addresses.

Just my thoughts.

Jon

They are good thoughts but my gut has been saying this is real since it was first announced.

• Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

Not at the Macworld 2000 Conference. Check out Jobs' keynote, it is available on iTunes.

There are laws. And as Jobs said in the keynote, the ((market) research) figures were not in for December yet during his comparison with the Zune.

Secondly, Apple's first quarter ends on Dec. 31. Which means that the auditors would only have 0* days to complete their due diligence, pass it by the board and get it filed before the they could quote anything at the conference.

* As the law requires, the filing must be within 5 business days of any public announcement. And since the filing could only be done on the following Tuesday Jan 2 to release the data publicaly to say anything during the keynote, leaves only New Year's day to do the audit and the report.

I very definitely remember him giving revenue, possibly earnings, as well as sales numbers at a Macworld recently, or perhaps it was an ADC. But I remember hearing, and seeing it. I also remember him stating that he cleared it with the auditors. I'm not imagining this. It stuck in my mind when it happened.

I'm aware of the laws. Don't forget that Jan 15th is just 7 days before the 22nd.

I watched the 2007 address today, and it wasn't there, but it is somewhere.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Ok, I was right. It's the 2006 keynote. Without looking around for the video, I'll just quote a bit from the Engadget notes taken then. This is far from being complete, but it gives the basic idea. This was given on January 10, earlier than it will be this year. If they could do it then, they could do it now, but that doesn't mean they will. No earnings though, that likely takes more time to pull together, needing calculations on margins, etc.

Quote:

2:09 PM - Peter Oppenheimer CFO said he has to tell revenue for the whole company if he's going to do that. Last quarter it was $5.7 billion, a record.

They then go on to tell sales numbers for the various product lines for the quarter.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/10/s...macworld-2006/

A figure for store revenue here, from the 2006 keynote

:

http://www.macworld.com/article/4884...vekeynote.html

Here's the actual audio podcast from the keynote. It's in 8 parts, this is the first, with the info we're talking about:

http://www.podtech.net/home/274/stev...-ipod-earnings
  • Reply 40 of 52
    It crashed in the middle of the video.

I personally think that it is real but I don't think they convinced many people because it crashed just like a hacked one would.

The software upgrades are very cool though.