Poll: New Mac Pros at MWSF 08?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, ladies and gentlemen, step right up and place your votes.

Everyone's a winner

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    no 90%?

i voted 100%, there's no way it's going to be any later.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

no 90%?

Yeah, sorry but I had to leave one out because of the limitation of only 10 items in the poll.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    I sure hope it will be released at the show. I am still a PC user just waiting for the new MP.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    Highly likely but I won't go all the way
  • Reply 5 of 86
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

no 90%?

When was the last time when the Mac Pro -- Power Mac was updated in MWSF? I personally don't remember, it must be many years ago (I guess from the G4 era).

I have the impression that the update could very well wait until the end of February.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Pretty sure the G5 was announced at MWSF.

Weather it's MWSF, NAB or WWDC doesn't really matter. Before Apple never had processors in abundance to announce anything when they wanted, and now with intel supplying the processors Apple can announce anything at any time without worrying about having processors in heavy supply.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    I am not convinced that using the past is an accurate forecast of Apple's future behavior.

All the components are available and the rumors of J.I. having redesigned the Mac Pro were all the rage this past summer. The only reason not to have announced a new Mac Pro at, or near the Intel launch, was to unveil something more...like a new design that can get press attention at MWSF.

Maybe this is wishful thinking from someone who is impatiently waiting for the new box, but if the rumors of a new design were true, then it makes sense that Apple wold be holding out for the biggest bang for the buck.

Also, from what I can tell, no one is actually shipping the high-end Penryn xeon boxes yet so Apple is not behind anyone's actual product at this time.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Pretty sure the G5 was announced at MWSF.

Nope. June 2003, WWDC. There was also a leak from Apple itself a few days before the announcement.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

All the components are available and the rumors of J.I. having redesigned the Mac Pro were all the rage this past summer. The only reason not to have announced a new Mac Pro at, or near the Intel launch, was to unveil something more...like a new design that can get press attention at MWSF.

If there is a new design then indeed, MWSF could be the place. Otherwise I don't see any reason for Apple to display during this event updated Mac's Pro.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    MacPro will be announce at MWSF alongside new ACDs.

All redesign.

The chips are here, the machine is extremely outdate and MWSF is a great location to introduce it to get maximum exposure.

There is no reason not to announce it. Specially after Apple did not do introduce it at the end of 2007.

So it will happen. Have faith folks!
  • Reply 11 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

If there is a new design then indeed, MWSF could be the place. Otherwise I don't see any reason for Apple to display during this event updated Mac's Pro.

What about the fact that it hasn't been updated in over 500 days. It's the oldest product in the lineup without a refresh.

I expect Mac Pro's 100% at MWSF, and new Displays 100%. Now I have to go party. (and get some ass) Happy new year every one.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    First of all, Happy New Year everyone.

Now, back to the Mac Pro update scenario: there may be trouble on the consumer front. If these rumors posted at MacRumors are true it could bode ill for the Mac Pro seeing an update at MWSF.

There is a school of thought, a somewhat convincing one, that says MWSF is a consumer oriented show and that consumer product announcements, if there are enough of them, will be the focus of the keynote and the show. If there are new tablets and macbook updates, it could mean that we will not see a new Mac Pro in the keynote.

If that happens, would it simply show up in the store like some products did last year? I think the Airport Extreme gigabit version enjoyed such an unheralded introduction. And don't forget the non-introduction of the Octo-Pro (oPro?).

Or could it be that we will all be staring at our screens in disbelief that the Mac Pro has once again been ignored?

That's too much on a New Year's Day stomach. I need more coffee.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Quote:

MWSF is a consumer oriented show and that consumer product announcements, if there are enough of them, will be the focus of the keynote and the show.

If it's a consumer oriented show, then why is it basically packed with professionals there? Most consumers don't even know about the show and most consumers wouldn't spend a thousand bucks to participate in it.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

If it's a consumer oriented show, then why is it basically packed with professionals there? Most consumers don't even know about the show and most consumers wouldn't spend a thousand bucks to participate in it.

If all we had to go by was last year, we'd say MWSF was a cellphone-oriented show.

I don't think Apple does "themes" for shows anymore. Now it's just whatever products are ready.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

I mean consumer-oriented from a press point-of-view. Apple scored a big marketing coup last year when they upstaged CES and made Billy-boy's final keynote irrelevant (at least that was how it was "billed" last year). I think Steve would love to put another nail into CES by stealing the January headlines again and a Mac Pro wouldn't do that, but a new sub-notebook and updates to MacBooks and MacBook Pros--with an iPhone announcement thrown in for good measure--certainly would.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

If all we had to go by was last year, we'd say MWSF was a cellphone-oriented show.

I don't think Apple does "themes" for shows anymore. Now it's just whatever products are ready.

Again, my point is about Apple garnering the maximum attention for its products. MacWorld is the only show that the mainstream press pays any attention to, after all the WWDC doesn't produce easily digested sound-bytes. So this is the best place for Apple to showcase its new products to the mainstream press.

And yes, last year certainly showed how Apple could take the consumer press by the collar and lead them to Cupertino.

My point is that Apple, from a marketing perspective, will get more bang for its buck out of consumer-oriented product announcements at MWSF. Maybe, just maybe, those who have been saying that the Mac Pro will be silently updated, or be left without an update yet again, are right.

I want a new Mac Pro badly. I have the money set aside for both it and a new ACD (plus RAM and HDs from OWC). My hopes are for an update as soon as possible. But after 500 days, or whatever it has been now, I am getting used to being disappointed.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion but I don't think Apple's user base is as interested in any product more than the newly designed Mac Pro.

Who voted 100% no? Somebody trying to get a laugh.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

I want a new Mac Pro badly. I have the money set aside for both it and a new ACD (plus RAM and HDs from OWC). My hopes are for an update as soon as possible. But after 500 days, or whatever it has been now, I am getting used to being disappointed.

I am in the same boat, but with the chips released last November and the huge lack of recent updates, makes the MWSF the perfect place to happen, specially if the enclosure is redesign and the new ACDs will sport a new look and maybe larger sizes.

I agreed that MWSF has been mostly consumer centric, but at this point Apple has no reason to hold the MacPro any longer.

It will happen at MWSF.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I am in the same boat, but with the chips released last November and the huge lack of recent updates, makes the MWSF the perfect place to happen, specially if the enclosure is redesign and the new ACDs will sport a new look and maybe larger sizes.

I agreed that MWSF has been mostly consumer centric, but at this point Apple has no reason to hold the MacPro any longer.

It will happen at MWSF.

Obviously I hope so too. And I don't care if it makes it's debut in the keynote or just shows up in the store when it comes back online after SJ exits the stage.

But, as I noted above, I am getting used to disappointment.

\
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Quote:

Who voted 100% no? Somebody trying to get a laugh.

That's not me. My vote is 20%. What, am I the only one there?

Oh, and happy new year everyone!
  • Reply 20 of 86
    Quote:

What about the fact that it hasn't been updated in over 500 days. It's the oldest product in the lineup without a refresh.

Apple has "refreshed" during 2007 (April?) the Mac Pro by adding the 4 x 2 core CPU's. You are free to consider that as a real or not so much real update, but I am afraid that in Apple's book it does count as one.