Poll: New Mac Pros at MWSF 08?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Apple has "refreshed" during 2007 (April?) the Mac Pro by adding the 4 x 2 core CPU's. You are free to consider that as a real or not so much real update, but I am afraid that in Apple's book it does count as one.

Wrong! Apple does not even list the addition of the 8 core on their date introduced web page.

http://support.apple.com/specs/

Title................Date Introduced

MacBook Pro (Late 2007, 2.4/2.2GHz) \t11/01/2007

MacBook (Late 2007) \t11/01/2007

iPod nano (Third Generation) \t09/05/2007

iPod classic \t09/05/2007

iPod touch \t09/05/2007

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007) \t08/07/2007

Mac mini (Mid 2007) \t08/07/2007

iPhone \t06/29/2007

MacBook Pro (Mid 2007, 2.4/2.2GHz) \t06/05/2007

MacBook (Mid 2007) \t05/15/2007

Apple TV \t03/22/2007

AirPort Extreme (802.11n) \t01/30/2007

Xserve RAID (Early 2007) \t01/23/2007

Xserve (Late 2006) \t11/12/2006

MacBook (Late 2006) \t11/08/2006

MacBook Pro (Late 2006) \t10/24/2006

iPod nano (Second Generation) \t09/12/2006

Fifth Generation iPod (Late 2006) \t09/12/2006

iPod shuffle (Second Generation) \t09/12/2006

iMac (Late 2006) \t09/06/2006

Mac mini (Late 2006) \t09/06/2006

Mac Pro \t08/07/2006
  • Reply 22 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Wrong! Apple does not even list the addition of the 8 core on their date introduced web page.

*snip*

Don't you just love it when people make silly claims without even looking into it.

And PB, it was not a refresh, it was the addition of an option. A refresh is generally considered as refreshing the processors while leaving the rest of the specs untouched. An update is generally taken to be a complete overhaul of the machine, which may or may not include a redesign.

So, the Mac Pro did not receive a refresh or an update in 2007. Whether or not the Mac Pro is updated at Macworld at least one thing is clear. Apple has done the pro community a great disservice by letting the thing rot for this long.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    Hmmm, seems like the negatives in the poll are climbing slightly. I guess there are some who really don't think we're getting some Mac Pro loving come the 15th.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Hmmm, seems like the negatives in the poll are climbing slightly. I guess there are some who really don't think we're getting some Mac Pro loving come the 15th.

It's like 52 vs. 9 what are you talking about?
  • Reply 25 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

It's like 52 vs. 9 what are you talking about?

Only that there have been several new negative votes, whereas before there were none. Not implying that there is a groundswell.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    New Mac Pro may be released in may be even February-march but announcement is definitely will happen in two weeks. imho.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suneohair View Post

And PB, it was not a refresh, it was the addition of an option.

In the way that Apple offers the Mac Pro, every update would come as the addition/modification of some option(s). Even if suddenly appear 10 different GPU options, there would just be 10 more options in the configuration page.

Quote:

A refresh is generally considered as refreshing the processors while leaving the rest of the specs untouched.

I see what you mean, but at the time there were no new processors, with the exception of the 4 x 2 CPU option of last April. And if I am not mistaken, Apple managed to take the lion's part of the high-end Intel processors.

Quote:

So, the Mac Pro did not receive a refresh or an update in 2007. Whether or not the Mac Pro is updated at Macworld at least one thing is clear. Apple has done the pro community a great disservice by letting the thing rot for this long.

In my opinion the Mac Pro did receive a minor refresh in 2007 with the new octo-option. But as minimal as this may seems in domains where graphics processing matters, it is much bigger in others. But in either way, it does not affects me. And I see no reason for Apple to announce new Mac Pro's in MWSF, unless there are at least new CPU AND new GPU options, if not a complete redesign of the machine.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

http://support.apple.com/specs/

Mac Pro \t08/07/2006

All this proves is that from a support point of view, the specifications of the several Mac Pro configurations are irrelevant.

But if you want to play with the words, fine:

Mac Pro (8-core) User's Guide (Manual)

Mac Pro User's Guide (Manual)
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Quote:

All this proves is that from a support point of view, the specifications of the several Mac Pro configurations are irrelevant.

But if you want to play with the words, fine:

Mac Pro (8-core) User's Guide (Manual)

Mac Pro User's Guide (Manual)

Not playing with words. You make your own decision based upon Apple's web page. Oops! I believe you already did before you even looked at Apple's web page.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    I said updated not refresh, but how ever you word it, no one that uses a Mac Pro thinks the Mac Pro has been updated in almost 2 years.

I am one of those people. When Apple updates the Mac Pro you see things like A Major Announcement. Not many of you have yet come to the realization that It is their flagship. It gets more attention than any product they have. It's the Mac that all users dream of owning but not all can afford. Update, refresh, whatever you call it, it has not happened. If it did you would have remembered it because Steve Jobs would have made you drool over it.

Pardon the previous choice of expression. It was meant as a figure of speech.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    Quote:

I said [U]updated[/U] not refresh, but how ever you word it, no one that uses a Mac Pro thinks the Mac Pro has been updated in almost 2 years.

I am one of those people. When Apple updates the Mac Pro you see things like A Major Announcement. It's their flagship you retards. It gets more attention than any product they have. It's the Mac that all users dream of owning but not all can afford. Update, refresh, whatever you call it, it has not happened. If it did you would have remembered it because Steve Jobs would have made you drool over it.

The Mac Pro suggested (by Apple) configuration is the same as it was in August of 2006 and at the same price points:

Start building your Mac Pro with our suggested configuration:

* Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon ?Woodcrest? processors

* 1GB memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)

* NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory

* 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive1

* 16x double-layer SuperDrive

BTW, speaking of retards, my brother, who was an only child, was the first member of our family to walk upright. Quite an accomplishment for the family and one we are quite proud of.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    I don't care what kind of CPU and or graphics they put in a new Mac Pro, I won't buy one unless it's in a redesigned box. I hate that cheese grater enclosure.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:

Not many of you have yet come to the realization that It is their flagship.

Thanks for the heads-up on that, but for some time now with all this gadgetry Apple tries hard to make us think otherwise.

Quote:

It gets more attention than any product they have.

Does it really now?

Quote:

Pardon the previous choice of expression. It was meant as a figure of speech.

Pardoned. As someone who has closely followed your posts for years now, I could not take this literally.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up on that, but for some time now with all this gadgetry Apple tries hard to make us think otherwise.

Their flagship computer that is. There is an iMac argument in there, but it's a pointless argument. Arguments like that never go anywhere anyways. Although it's easy to forget about the importance of the Mac Pro when it's been neglected for two years.

Personally all that other crap (gadgetry) I just consider other crap. Needless to say I own some of that other crap.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    Quote:

In the way that Apple offers the Mac Pro, every update would come as the addition/modification of some option(s). Even if suddenly appear 10 different GPU options, there would just be 10 more options in the configuration page.

No, an update to the machine would completely change the line. New Seaburg motherboards. And then new Penryn CPUs and new GPUs. In which there would be new options offered in line with those. In other words, an update implies updated options based on current hardware. They would not be adding Penryn to the already existing options. IT would be replacing them thus an update.

Quote:

I see what you mean, but at the time there were no new processors, with the exception of the 4 x 2 CPU option of last April. And if I am not mistaken, Apple managed to take the lion's part of the high-end Intel processors.

Yes, there were new processors. Clovertown CPUs were released November 2006. Their prices and speeds mirrored that of the Woodcrest line, but with a major difference. They were quad-core chips. Apple could have updated the entire line to eight-core in April when they picked up the high end part. I couldn't care any less that they added an expensive option when they could have offered those changes across the entire line.

It seems you hold onto the idea that if Apple doesn't offer it, it doesn't exist. Which is far from the truth. Do you really think Intel dropped a single high clock quad Xeon?

Quote:

In my opinion the Mac Pro did receive a minor refresh in 2007 with the new octo-option. But as minimal as this may seems in domains where graphics processing matters, it is much bigger in others. But in either way, it does not affects me. And I see no reason for Apple to announce new Mac Pro's in MWSF, unless there are at least new CPU AND new GPU options, if not a complete redesign of the machine.

No, it recieved the addition of an option. No other changes were done to the line. Faster speeds on the existing systems were not offered. And again, the addition of an eight-core option that is only at the top end makes the addition worthless.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but there are new CPU and GPU options. The Penryn Xeons (Harpertowns) are already out there. There have been kexts found in the 10.5.2 seed that suggest new graphics cards (G92 and RV770). The update is long overdue, and the pieces for updating are here. It is time for them to do what they should have done in April, which is update the whole line to eight-core CPUs.

You don't really seem to know much about what is going on. I suggest that you research a little more.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    Quote:

You don't really seem to know much about what is going on. I suggest that you research a little more.

Dont' worry, I am well aware of the latest evolutions. But for some reason Apple chooses to wait... and wait... and....

For the Clovertown it seems the wait was about the 3 GHz parts. Typical Apple attitude? Perhaps. At this point is less clear what happens. Some say that maybe Apple is optimizing for the new instruction set and 10.5.2 will bring the goods. I don't know.

Then there is the BIG issue of GPU offers. It is shocking that a machine costing in its basic configuration more than 2500 euros (sans display and equiped 2 x 512 MB RAM in year 2008 ) comes with a GeForce 7300 GT.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:

Their flagship computer that is. There is an iMac argument in there, but it's a pointless argument. Arguments like that never go anywhere anyways. Although it's easy to forget about the importance of the Mac Pro when it's been neglected for two years.

The Mac Pro has a heavy heritage haunting it but Apple seems to be interested more in other things. It is a sign of the times.

Quote:

Personally all that other crap (gadgetry) I just consider other crap. Needless to say I own some of that other crap.

Do you really? Then I probably am a really heretic Mac user.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    Quote:

Then there is the BIG issue of GPU offers. It is shocking that a machine costing in its basic configuration more than 2500 euros (sans display and equiped 2 x 512 MB RAM in year 2008 ) comes with a GeForce 7300 GT.

It doesn't make sense that Apple won't even refresh cards in between long updates like this. Is it ironic when they make applications like Motion rely more and more on the GPU?
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:

For the Clovertown it seems the wait was about the 3 GHz parts. Typical Apple attitude? Perhaps. At this point is less clear what happens. Some say that maybe Apple is optimizing for the new instruction set and 10.5.2 will bring the goods. I don't know.

The wait was hardly the issue I was talking about. You said there were no new processors (other than the 3ghz Clovertowns), but there was a whole Clovertown line released that matched the Woodcrests in price. If they wanted to wait for the 3Ghz, sure, but the fact remains that the Mac Pro hasn't offered value since November 2006.

Regardless of whether Apple decides to wait, the Mac Pro is dated, and has been since November 2006. It is clear that Apple needs to update the machines.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:

The wait was hardly the issue I was talking about. You said there were no new processors (other than the 3ghz Clovertowns), but there was a whole Clovertown line released that matched the Woodcrests in price. If they wanted to wait for the 3Ghz, sure, but the fact remains that the Mac Pro hasn't offered value since November 2006.

I see what you mean, my bad. I had in mind the 3 GHz parts for which Apple apparently waited.

Quote:

Regardless of whether Apple decides to wait, the Mac Pro is dated, and has been since November 2006. It is clear that Apple needs to update the machines.

No one says otherwise. Even if the addition of the 4 x 2 option was perceived as a refresh, that does not means that the Mac Pro should not be updated before the end of 2007.