Mail question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know if there is a way to set mail preferences to always open links behind Mail?

I know about the right click context menu and that is what I do now. Was wondering if there is a way to make that behavior the default behavior?

I am guessing changing something in the plist?

I do not suffer from Terminal-phobia, so if that is the answer fire away with suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Does anyone know if there is a way to set mail preferences to always open links behind Mail?

What in the World are you talking about?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

What in the World are you talking about?

What don't you understand? The "open link behind mail"? Or something else?

If you don't know what "open link behind mail" is, just right click (control click) on a link in a mail message and you will have the opportunity to open the link behind mail instead of having your default browser open on top of mail.

If there is something else you are referring to, you will need to be more specific.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

What don't you understand? The "open link behind mail"? Or something else?

If you don't know what "open link behind mail" is, just right click (control click) on a link in a mail message and you will have the opportunity to open the link behind mail instead of having your default browser open on top of mail.

If there is something else you are referring to, you will need to be more specific.

I know you weren't referring to me, but I am going to butt in here anyway. I use Panther 3.9 and when I tried right clicking on a link in an email message - ta da - no "Open link behind mail". There is a "Open link in new window"; however, it doesn't do anything. There is "Downlink linked file" which works and "Copy link" which I haven't tried yet, BUT NO "Open link behind mail". Maybe Mr. Me doesn't have the same OS X version as you have. When someone doesn't understand what you mean, don't get pissy with them. You may be on different wave lengths. Furthermore, YOU need to be more specific. After all, it was you that wanted info.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I know you weren't referring to me, but I am going to butt in here anyway. I use Panther 3.9 and when I tried right clicking on a link in an email message - ta da - no "Open link behind mail". There is a "Open link in new window"; however, it doesn't do anything. There is "Downlink linked file" which works and "Copy link" which I haven't tried yet, BUT NO "Open link behind mail". Maybe Mr. Me doesn't have the same OS X version as you have. When someone doesn't understand what you mean, don't get pissy with them. You may be on different wave lengths. Furthermore, YOU need to be more specific. After all, it was you that wanted info.

I was referring to Mr Me, whom I quoted in my response.

I never ran Panther so I guess it is not in there. It is in Leopard Mail, however. It is a great function that allows me to open links in emails behind the mail app so that I can keep on reading my mail while still having all the links I want to check out opened in Safari.

I guess it is a Leopard only feature.

Anyone else got any ideas how to make this the default link behavior in mail?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

When someone doesn't understand what you mean, don't get pissy with them.

I know you weren't addressing me, but I am going to butt in here anyway.

Your bit of advice should've been directed at Mr. Me, who was the one getting pissy. If he didn't know the answer, he should've gone to the next post to see if he could help them. Or if he didn't understand the question, he should've asked nicely for clarification. Or, does having over 1700 posts automatically mean you can be condescending and rude?

donebylee, I understood your question right away, but sorry I don't know if there's a way to do that. Cheers!

• Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirkwise View Post

I know you weren't addressing me, but I am going to butt in here anyway.

Your bit of advice should've been directed at Mr. Me, who was the one getting pissy. If he didn't know the answer, he should've gone to the next post to see if he could help them. Or if he didn't understand the question, he should've asked nicely for clarification. Or, does having over 1700 posts automatically mean you can be condescending and rude?

donebylee, I understood your question right away, but sorry I don't know if there's a way to do that. Cheers!

I was ignoring both points. But thank you though. I appreciate your help.

Maybe someone will have figured this out. I will also try Mac OSX Hints.

If I find out anything I will post back here.

Cheers.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Does Command + Click not work for you?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Does Command + Click not work for you?

Yes it does. So does right clicking with my mighty mouse. But what I would like to do is to make opening links behind mail the default action for clicking on a link. That would be better for my workflow.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirkwise View Post

I

Well, I gave Mr.Me credit for NOT saying, "WTF are you talking about." However, you're right, he was rude.

I give them both an 'F' in manners.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Well, I gave Mr.Me credit for NOT saying, "WTF are you talking about." However, you're right, he was rude.

I give them both an 'F' in manners.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Ok, I just heard back from Rob Griffiths at Mac OSX Hints and he said:
    Quote:

I've never seen such a tip, and there's nothing in the Mail 'strings' file that indicates it may be possible.

So I guess that's it. I will just keep right clicking to use it.