firefox wont stay in the dock

iroiro
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
...just upgraded from tiger to leopard.. installed firefox as normal, it mounts and works as normal.. i click 'keep in dock' then when i restart its gone replaced by a '? '

...every time same thing - i have to open the download stack and grab the .dmg to install it again

...help anyone? *edit* i figured it out!

but, does anyone know how to get firefox to stop mounting and displaying on the desktop under the hard drive icon? sorry for the noob question

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iro View Post

...just upgraded from tiger to leopard.. installed firefox as normal, it mounts and works as normal.. i click 'keep in dock' then when i restart its gone replaced by a '? '

...every time same thing - i have to open the download stack and grab the .dmg to install it again

...help anyone? *edit* i figured it out!

but, does anyone know how to get firefox to stop mounting and displaying on the desktop under the hard drive icon? sorry for the noob question

What does it means "it mounts and works as normal"? I suppose you just mount the disk image containing Firefox (.dmg file) and you try to run it from there.

If so, you have to mount the disk image again by double clicking on it, and then drag and drop the Firefox icon into your desktop or, better, into the Applications folder. This will create a copy of Firefox on your hard drive. After that you can delete the disk image and keep Firefox on the Dock.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    When you downloaded FIrefox and its .dmg image appeared on the Desktop, you double clicked on it and dragged the icon for Firefox to your Applications folder, correct? Then you double clicked on the Firefox application in the Applications folder, which then started up, displaying its icon in the Dock, just to the left of the vertical dotted line. At that point you had two options for keeping the Firefox icon in the Dock: (1) select the option from the pop-up menu (right click on icon), and (2) physically simply drag the icon to the left to where you'd like it to stay.

It sounds as if you were running the application from the .dmg image, and hadn't yet moved it to your Applications folder. That's why it remained on the Desktop. After you move the Firefox application from the .dmg folder on your Desktop to the Applications folder, simply drag the .dmg image into the Trash, right click on Trash, and select Empty Trash.

You're done.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

When you downloaded FIrefox and its .dmg image appeared on the Desktop, you double clicked on it and dragged the icon for Firefox to your Applications folder, correct? Then you double clicked on the Firefox application in the Applications folder, which then started up, displaying its icon in the Dock, just to the left of the vertical dotted line. At that point you had two options for keeping the Firefox icon in the Dock: (1) select the option from the pop-up menu (right click on icon), and (2) physically simply drag the icon to the left to where you'd like it to stay.

It sounds as if you were running the application from the .dmg image, and hadn't yet moved it to your Applications folder. That's why it remained on the Desktop. After you move the Firefox application from the .dmg folder on your Desktop to the Applications folder, simply drag the .dmg image into the Trash, right click on Trash, and select Empty Trash.

You're done.

That is the clearest, most useful description of a "process" I have ever read, Dave Marsh! It is obvious that you do not write for any known software or hardware manufacturer!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

That is the clearest, most useful description of a "process" I have ever read, Dave Marsh! It is obvious that you do not write for any known software or hardware manufacturer!

Thanks. You're right, but I do provide daily Mac support for about 50 users, so it pays to be explicit if I want to minimize repeat queries on the same issue.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    iroiro Posts: 10member
    thanks for the help.