Net stats place Mac user share at 7.3 percent in December

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

Second largest? You mean third, unless you're talking about something other than market share.

As they were talking about OS X share, I think they mean second largest after that.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    I think its real simple, folks. People weren't at work.

It may change in the future, but today, its a well known fact that Mac penetration into the home market is much higher than the "enterprise".

Its also likely that a bunch of Macs were acquired over Christmas and used during this time-period, but I bet the no-work issue dominates. Lets wait and look at January figures. I'd wager they flatten out a bit.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Put me down as a December addition to the Mac numbers. Rec'd a 24" iMac for Christmas and could not be happier.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Whats wrong with Command + click?!

I dont understand the issue. "You often do not know if a link is going to open in a new window or not" opens in a tab whenever i wish it to open in a tab! I could not ask for it to be any better in that respect.

I'm new to "click" .. and even though i might be using it right now - please tell me what CLICK is?
  • Reply 25 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rehmbo View Post

It may change in the future, but today, its a well known fact that Mac penetration into the home market is much higher than the "enterprise".

Its also likely that a bunch of Macs were acquired over Christmas and used during this time-period, but I bet the no-work issue dominates. Lets wait and look at January figures. I'd wager they flatten out a bit.

Excellent point to consider, rehmbo. Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    kmochkmoch Posts: 2member
    I'd be interested in knowing where the "well known fact" of higher Mac penetration into homes is documented. I've mentioned this to several people to whom I've recommended Macs but having a real source (survey, whatever) would certainly be helpful.

Quote:

• Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Whats wrong with Command + click?!

I dont understand the issue. "You often do not know if a link is going to open in a new window or not" opens in a tab whenever i wish it to open in a tab! I could not ask for it to be any better in that respect.

What's wrong with just clicking on the link and it automatically opening in a new tab like Firefox, Camino, Opera, Shiira, Seamonkey, Flock, etc.? Command clicking is just another unnecessary step when this can be easily handled automatically. Unless you have the status bar enabled, which it's not by default, you don't know if a link is going to open in a new tab. With Safari you end up with multiple windows open rather than multiple tabs open in a single window.

Command clicking, middle button clicking? Umm...no. Browsing has advanced. For whatever reason neither IE7 nor Safari automatically open new windows in tabs instead.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmoch View Post

I'd be interested in knowing where the "well known fact" of higher Mac penetration into homes is documented. I've mentioned this to several people to whom I've recommended Macs but having a real source (survey, whatever) would certainly be helpful.

Point well taken- its a bit irresponsible of me to state something is a fact without showing data and source.

This is one of those situations where I "know" it to be true based on reading countless news articles on the subject, but when I try to go find the data to support it, well... aside from spending $2500 on a IDC or Gartner research report, I don't have much to show you.

I did find this article at Roughly Drafted that notes a significant difference between education, retail, and total market shares. Since most corporations don't buy their PCs at retail (no, I don't have data to support this assertion either), it would seem to follow that Mac market share is higher for the home market than the overall market.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

First, it's called a "Status Bar", not a status line

• Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmoch View Post

I'll tell you one thing, I know a lot of people who have been switching over the past few years.

One friend, who was in charge of Windows engineering workstation purchases for the MTA, bought a Powerbook three years ago, he's now buying an iMac, and may upgrade to a MacBook Pro.

Another friend, as he was leaving for home from my holiday party this year, said that he was going to buy an iMac shortly after MacWorld. He's in charge of the Controllers Office audit department here in NYC, and has never used a Mac before.

If people like this are moving over, it bodes well.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'll tell you one thing, I know a lot of people who have been switching over the past few years.

One friend, who was in charge of Windows engineering workstation purchases for the MTA, bought a Powerbook three years ago, he's now buying an iMac, and may upgrade to a MacBook Pro.

Another friend, as he was leaving for home from my holiday party this year, said that he was going to buy an iMac shortly after MacWorld. He's in charge of the Controllers Office audit department here in NYC, and has never used a Mac before.

If people like this are moving over, it bodes well.

I have many similar stories and know of many people will be buying Macs as their next machine after trying mine, trying them in the Apple Stores, and because I've stated that will no longer help them with their OC if they don't buy a Mac next. I also know people who love their iPhone so much that they will be getting a Mac as their next machine.

2008 will be anther good year for Apple!
  • Reply 32 of 43
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I have a theory about this statistic. It showed a huge spike for Macs in December, especially between Christmas and New Year's. Well, in what way does the typical person's computer use change during that time? My answer: they're not at work.

I think they just measured the difference between at-work web browsing market share and home computer web browsing market share. They're showing that Apple is north of 8% of home computers, but much less than that of office computers. It will be interesting to see if the numbers plummet in January.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    well if you accidently do click a link and it opens in a new window, at least in Safari 3 you can move the tab back into the previous window without reloading anything... but it would be nice to have an option to force all of those type of links to only go to a new tab.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

well if you accidently do click a link and it opens in a new window, at least in Safari 3 you can move the tab back into the previous window without reloading anything... but it would be nice to have an option to force all of those type of links to only go to a new tab.

The Saft plugin is the only thing that takes care of this that I know of. Saft has made Safari 3 very enjoyable and my default browser. Tab browsing is just the way I want it.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Lets just rename things and call them what we want.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I have a theory about this statistic. It showed a huge spike for Macs in December, especially between Christmas and New Year's. Well, in what way does the typical person's computer use change during that time? My answer: they're not at work.

I think they just measured the difference between at-work web browsing market share and home computer web browsing market share. They're showing that Apple is north of 8% of home computers, but much less than that of office computers. It will be interesting to see if the numbers plummet in January.

Yeah, that was brought up already. I'm not sure it's true though, because people using PC's and Linux machines also get vacations, believe it or not, and people who use Mac's at work will go home and use Mac's again during vacation. Some of those actually use PC's when at home.

I don't think that would change the numbers by more than a couple tenths at most. But, the numbers that are being quoted for new Mac sales this quarter are from 2.2 million, up to 2.4 million That would change the numbers.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

A good point to consider. It would be helpful to see market share stats on normal weekends to do an apples to apples comparison.

Quote:

Researchers also pointed out that traffic surged in the final two days of the year: on December 30th and 31st, Mac share edged slightly past 8 percent.

The 30th was a Sunday. Most people do not work on Sundays even when there's not a holiday. The reporter either did not look at market share on normal weekends, determined that it wasn't relevant, or did not do a very thorough job reporting the stats. I'd like to see a comparison of Sundays in November and early December to the Sunday at the end.

I suspect that a large part of the jump is due to new macs and iphones being given as Christmas presents. That would explain why the jump took place after Christmas and was not reported to have occurred on weekend days earlier in the month.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Ah, I didn't see rehmbo's post, although he apparently had the same idea as me.

Even if you count the "new Macs for Christmas" effect, though, it would have been drowned out on a typical business weekday. Most people I know with Macs at home use Windows at work. No one I know goes the other way. Heck, I'm logged in to AppleInsider from work right now on my Windows XP box... I'll bet the folks here at AppleInsider could look at their logs and tell us how true it is.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The surprise contribution to the shift in balance is the iPhone, Net Applications adds. While small, the iPhone's web share shows "spectacular" growth from 0.09 percent to 0.12 percent of all visits. This gain is the largest since the Internet analysts began tracking statistics for the Apple cellphone in July.

Sorry - if the iPhone OS is being factored into the equation then the analysis is flawed. Is the iTouch included and well as anything else that uses web browsing? The prior analysis did not include iPhones so the "jump" is skewed. Are all cellphones included? This is the kind of "analysis" that Sony has been reporting on for years.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Umm...no. Tab browsing in both Firefox and Opera is awesome, the same cannot be said about Safari 3. I was using Camino exclusively until I came across the Saft plugin for Safari 3 which gives me the functionality in tab browsing that I'm looking for in Safari.

I hated the fact that in Safari I would have dozens of windows open. Unfortunately Safari does not give you the simple option of just opening links that open in a new window to be opened in a new tab instead. And please, lets not get stupid here and talk about command clicking or middle clicking on a mouse. You often do not know if a link is going to open in a new window or not, plus this should be taken care of automatically in Safari as it is done in Camino, Firefox, Opera, Shiira, Flock, Seamonkey, etc.

Fortunately the Saft plugin takes care of this. Now it's "Simple Enough."

"not get stupid here." Huh. Let's see: Cmd-Period (i.e. Prefs -> General -> Open links in a new tab. Ok, done there. Checked Command-click opens a link in a new tab. Ok, done there. So, what does Firefox offer here that I'm missing?

Window menu -> Merge all windows. Ok, got that, too, if I have separate windows to converge.

Call me a luddite, but I'm missing what you're missing w/ contextual menus and command-clicking a url.

?=^(