Apple presenting "secret" at Final Cut meet; Radiohead on iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warnergt View Post

I've been waiting for Blu-ray authoring for 18 months. It's due.

i'm sorry to say that i expect that you'll be kept waiting. sonic's scenarist is the only pro solution (outside of sony), afaik, and it's not $1500....
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Could this be tied to the OS? Could this be the feature Steve was talking about?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tracker View Post

Could this be tied to the OS? Could this be the feature Steve was talking about?

Excuse me for my ignorance but what was steve talking about?
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Also, longtime digital music holdout Radiohead has officially released its first album through iTunes.

Not to be pedantic, but I read that as releasing the first album they'd recorded, not the most recent album as their first thing on iTunes....

I'd be happy with either or both, considering I've been wanting to flesh out my Radiohead collection and I still have a big chunk to burn of that $100 iTunes gift card I got for Christmas.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    My money is on new Mac Pro towers. Steve doesn't like to split attention at his Keynotes between several products -- especially if they have a new product to announce at the Keynote.

But the secret thing? Well, technically all Apple products are secret until they are released... even if everyone knows about them
  • Reply 26 of 37
    I can't imagine the big "secret" being a small software upgrade for Final Cut or the mac book towers, which are really for pro use anyway. Apple is always in line if not one step ahead of the trend. My prediction is that this is going to have something to do with how social networking sites and people like YouTube and Google operate. Something having to do with streaming content...
  • Reply 27 of 37
    oooh...i hope it's a new plug-in that means the software is actually usable and doesn't need a 20 minute "sit and think" after capturing an hour of DVCam tape...
  • Reply 28 of 37
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebigapple View Post

I can't imagine the big "secret" being a small software upgrade for Final Cut or the mac book towers, which are really for pro use anyway. Apple is always in line if not one step ahead of the trend. My prediction is that this is going to have something to do with how social networking sites and people like YouTube and Google operate. Something having to do with streaming content...

No:

1. I don't think Apple is interested in that market or business. 2. Notwithstanding no. 1, this would not warrant an announcement at MacWorld and would not be appropriate for the announcement at the FCP user group meeting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will present a product it has yet to announce at a Final Cut Pro user group event just a day after the Macworld keynote.

IMO, Final Cut server would not qualify as super-secret, and any new hardware will probably be announced at MW. It is too soon for FC studio to be updated again so that is doubtful. That leaves the successor to Shake, OR a completely new product that no one knows about.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    The business I am talking about is media distribution. Right now youtube needs all sorts of software to be able to stream efficiently. If Apple can streamline this into Final Cut, you will see a game-changer...

I see this plus the massive increase in storage capacity on .mac plus the music label deal with Jay-Z all positioning Apple to be in the entertainment and media distribution business more so than selling great laptops.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

No:

1. I don't think Apple is interested in that market or business. 2. Notwithstanding no. 1, this would not warrant an announcement at MacWorld and would not be appropriate for the announcement at the FCP user group meeting.

IMO, Final Cut server would not qualify as super-secret, and any new hardware will probably be announced at MW. It is too soon for FC studio to be updated again so that is doubtful. That leaves the successor to Shake, OR a completely new product that no one knows about.

• Reply 30 of 37
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

The business I am talking about is media distribution.

Apple is already in this business (iTunes).

Quote:

Right now youtube needs all sorts of software to be able to stream efficiently. If Apple can streamline this into Final Cut, you will see a game-changer...

Media distribution and streaming are not necessarily the same businesses. Akamai, for instance, is in the streaming business and handles the streaming of Apple's Quicktime content. This is not the type of business that Apple is interested in (streaming infrastructure), while it is already a leader in media distribution (online music).

As as the Jay-Z record label launch with iTunes, this is definitely a possibility, though.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Thanks for the link - that's exactly what I'm talking about - they don't just use Akami, they bought 5% of the company. They wouldn't do this just to make their trailers faster. This tells me they are gearing for something more encompassing than we think...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Apple is already in this business (iTunes).

Media distribution and streaming are not necessarily the same businesses. Akamai, for instance, is in the streaming business and handles the streaming of Apple's Quicktime content. This is not the type of business that Apple is interested in (streaming infrastructure), while it is already a leader in media distribution (online music).

As as the Jay-Z record label launch with iTunes, this is definitely a possibility, though.

• Reply 32 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will present a product it has yet to announce at a Final Cut Pro user group event just a day after the Macworld keynote. Also, longtime digital music holdout Radiohead has officially released its first album through iTunes.

Final Cut Pro group meet provides clues to Apple's MWSF plans

When a collection of Final Cut Pro user groups assemble to hold a meeting at Macworld San Francisco later this month, Apple will have a surprise presentation for its guests, AppleInsider has learned.

The January 16th gathering, which follows a day after Apple chief Steve Jobs' Macworld keynote, will feature "something super secret" from the Mac maker, according to the announcement.

Despite the nature of the group, the Apple unveiling is unlikely to include an update to the Final Cut Studio video production suite, which was updated in April and has rarely been updated during the San Francisco show in the past.

Historically, Apple has at times used professional audiovisual industry gatherings to discuss its high-end computers, including the MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and Xserve.

The organizer of the LAFCPUG Supermeet in question claimed he started this rumor. I'm not sure if he was joking or not.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    I have a feeling Apple may be combining the applications inside Final Cut Studio into one standalone app, called OneTrack.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Here is the agenda. Doesn't look like any unannounced products to me though:

http://www.lafcpug.org/macworld_08.html
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Has anyone heard anything about what hte announcement was? I have been waiting with Baited breath.... I can't find any news on this anywhere. Where better than the Insider?
  • Reply 36 of 37
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bevision View Post

Has anyone heard anything about what hte announcement was? I have been waiting with Baited breath.... I can't find any news on this anywhere. Where better than the Insider?

Maybe you are using the wrong kind of bait? Jobs used the right kind of bait to keep you on edge and interested. I'm still waiting with bated bated breath, but I think all the excitement is over for the average Mac consumer.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    yeah, what the hell happened with that. I'm still waiting on that news.