Apple DVI to Video Adapter - Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So, I purchased the Apple DVI to Video Adapter today to hook my MacBook Pro to my TV (about a three year old Sony Trinitron tube) and I don't get it, I thought all the right cables but apparently not. What else will I need to get my MBP hooked up to my TV to have video and audio?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

So, I purchased the Apple DVI to Video Adapter today to hook my MacBook Pro to my TV (about a three year old Sony Trinitron tube) and I don't get it, I thought all the right cables but apparently not. What else will I need to get my MBP hooked up to my TV to have video and audio?

Have you tried varying the output resolution to the Sony via the display controls on the Mac?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

First, what video inputs does the Sony have?

DVI does not carry audio at all, you will need at least 2 cables (one audio, one vieo). To get audio you will have to use a 3.5 to what ever audio input the Sony has. You can also do optical to Sony if it has it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    The Sony has just the standard jacks, nothing fancy like HDMI or anything.

At this point I have the Apple DVI to Video Adapter and I suppose I need a plug with S-Video and audio on one end and the standard TV plugs on the other. Do they make such a cable?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

The Sony has just the standard jacks, nothing fancy like HDMI or anything.

At this point I have the Apple DVI to Video Adapter and I suppose I need a plug with S-Video and audio on one end and the standard TV plugs on the other. Do they make such a cable?

As WindowSuck, DVI does not carry audio, so whatever DVI-to-anything will not carry audio. You will need to separately use an audio-out into your TV.

With the current adapter that you have, is the video from the Mac showing up on the TV?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

As WindowSuck, DVI does not carry audio, so whatever DVI-to-anything will not carry audio. You will need to separately use an audio-out into your TV.

With the current adapter that you have, is the video from the Mac showing up on the TV?

heh Excuse my ignorance Yes, the video shows up.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Okay I'm good now, just purchased an RCA cable at RadioShack.

This is all a temp solution until I get my $3,000.00 + Customized DVR setup