Apple filing proposes iMac-like notebook docking station

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Usually when users want to dock a laptop, it is because they have a larger screen on their desk than the laptop.

And a "sub notebook" would have a SMALLER screen than your typical laptop.

This design makes perfect sense.

Except that you end up paying a lot more to be stuck with an underpowered machine. Sure, you're docked and that saves space while giving you a larger screen at home. But you're still using the processor and weak integrated video card of the ultra thin laptop.

Wouldn't it be better to just hook up an external monitor and EXTEND the desktop for less money? Sure, it takes up more space, but it's cheaper and better. Or better yet, buy an iMac and just sync the two computers via WiFi. It'll probably only be a few hundred dollars more.

Plus, think about how messed up your window arrangements are going to be when constantly switching between two main monitors of different resolutions. The Finder can't remember where its windows are supposed to be as it is.

I'm glad Apple is making an ultra portable. But I don't think it's going to be as popular as everyone thinks it is.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amishman View Post

It slices, it dices, it juilienes.

It's a floor wax.....It's a dessert topping!

Ooh, I think I just dated myself.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I hate to admit it, but I think this dock looks like a terrible idea -- why should I buy another monitor that won't be the same size/height of the one I already have? If I'm doing the dual monitor thing, then I want a matched pair so it all has a similar feel (one big and one small makes it easy to "loose" open windows -- a minor but very irritating issue. I'd be happy with a single dongle that I plug into one port on my laptop and is hooked to everything else. there's your "no footprint" option.

Although the ipod-based option is pretty cool too.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A desktop... a laptop... a tablet... but wait!... these are all one thing! (crowd goes nuts)

• Reply 25 of 90
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    I don't need a large screen and I like being able to take my computer out of town with me. I've got a MacBook, with a keyboard and mouse from a previous Mac, with this stand (which is extremely stable):

Which gives the appearance of a 13.3" iMac:

The stand also supports a 17" MBP with stability as well.

Here are some options if you're looking to buy one:

Mstand Laptop Stand By Rain Design - Google Product Search

Here's the company's page:

mStand - specs
  • Reply 26 of 90
    I tried using a notebook stand, but the bulk of the notebook sort of destroys the deskspace; I ended up buying an iMac. Nice solution for people on a tighter budget than me, I guess.

This is more like it:

http://gizmodo.com/339918/apple-dock...a+slim-macbook
  • Reply 27 of 90
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

What? A drunken dog?
  • Reply 28 of 90
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Perhaps the iMac will become this? A desktop, a laptop and a tablet all in one

Would that ever be a cool keynote...

-Presenting the new iMac...

-Drumroll, followed by audible disappointment as the camera displays a pretty vanilla looking 24" iMac.

-Followed by gasps as Steve ejects the new ultraportable from the side

-Followed by more gasps as Steve disconnects the screen from the portable's keyboard to show the tablet.

-Followed by a real-time $50 jump in AAPL.

• Reply 29 of 90
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Ooh, I think I just dated myself.

That sounds painful (and illegal in several states.)
  • Reply 30 of 90
    I think this looks great. It could be improved if it had additional ports to hook up a second (or third) monitor, but it is great for those of us with limited desk space (the docking station for most laptops is just one more thing I have to find a space for on my desk, so I'll pass).

The angled docks that use the laptop screen are nice, but they wouldn't work for current Apple laptops; the screens don't open far enough. If your laptop is angled at -45 degrees, and your screen needs to be at at least 90, the minimum range would be 135-145 degrees open. At present, the macbook pro opens to maybe 100 deg. Something like this design might manage a retrofit, whereas most other docking solutions would require an overhaul of the current product line.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Usually when users want to dock a laptop, it is because they have a larger screen on their desk than the laptop.

And a "sub notebook" would have a SMALLER screen than your typical laptop.

This design makes perfect sense.

But it comes with a large Fresnel Magnifying sheet to stick over it.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

What! No Ginsu Knives if I order now?
  • Reply 33 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

... and then you can cook it on an Apple TV!
  • Reply 34 of 90
    I agree w/ Mr Piddly, wireless is the way to go. I mean really, what is this the 20th century?? A wireless screen that docks wirelessly, whether or not the laptop screen is open or not. Of course all your home peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.) are linked to your wireless screen, preferably wirelessly!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

I think it would be more interesting in reverse, by having a wireless screen linked to your home computer.

• Reply 35 of 90
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    if this happens, im getting one. this would actually be so useful to me. since i finished school i dont really need the mobility that my macbook has, i only really need a desktop, with this i could just plug it in and use it as a desktop!! i want one! please...
  • Reply 36 of 90
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Haha, charming drawings
  • Reply 37 of 90
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There's no particular reason why the iMac-like dock would have to only have a screen and ports. If it's as large as a real iMac there would be plenty of room for e.g. an optical drive and a hard drive, at minimum. That would (mostly) obviate the need for either in a subnotebook. You could sync the notebook iPod-style when you dock it, run Software Update and Time Machine, etc. and then take whatever particular things you need with you on the plane in a super thin laptop with, say, 32GB of flash RAM (64GB if you splurge) and an Intel UMPC chipset and nothing else under the hood.

It could happen.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Steve could skip all this and provide a low-cost mid-tower that docks your iPhone and/or iPod for enhanced features (something that I think would actually appeal to a lot larger market than a docking screen-station for what's bound to be an overpriced and underwhelming sub-notebook).

I've had the Duo 210 and 230s (actually still have them and all the various "docks" and utility connectors). A closed system that does what Steve thinks you should want is not quite the same as having a real system you can modify to do everything you want.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

I wonder where those came from, because they don't follow the conventions required by the patent office. They would be rejected.

They were accepted because Jonathan Ive's twins drew them.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

I wonder where those came from, because they don't follow the conventions required by the patent office. They would be rejected.

Can you cite a reference? It is my understanding that the "claims" section is the meat of a technical patent. A design patent requires specific drawings, but I thought for a technical patent the drawings/prose/intro were just fluff that didn't really affect the patent's viability.