Files "spring" away

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Since I've been using a Mac drag and drop, I've encountered a strange phenomenon. Just as I'm about to let go, the "spring" target will move away and I ended up dropping in the wrong place. Over the years, I've resolved it by waiting for the 'skitter' before dropping. I don't normally think about it anymore. However, a Mac noobie friend asked me about it as she was upset by it.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this happens?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Perhaps you're moving your mouse just as you release without knowing it and you've got your mouse set to be too sensitive?

Can't say I've ever had the same problem.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Maybe it's this. Spring-loaded windows will slide after a moment when part of the window is off-screen. It basically slides the window completely on the screen in case your target is off-screen in the window. I usually just disable the spring-loaded folders in the finder and only trigger it when I need it with the spacebar which works regardless of the spring-loaded folder checkbox (found in the finder preferences).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

Maybe it's this. Spring-loaded windows will slide after a moment when part of the window is off-screen. It basically slides the window completely on the screen in case your target is off-screen in the window. I usually just disable the spring-loaded folders in the finder and only trigger it when I need it with the spacebar which works regardless of the spring-loaded folder checkbox (found in the finder preferences).

Right on. Although I haven't been troubled by the slide as I learned to hesitate before 'dropping', I tried it with part of the target off screen just now and that's when the slide happened. I'll call my noobie (newbie?) friend and alert her. Using the spacebar is a better idea though.

Thanks