Needham opens coverage of Apple with "buy" rating

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Needham & Co has reinitiated its investment coverage of Apple, noting that the Mac maker has moved past the "old" iPod to prosper with the iPhone and the Mac.

Becoming the latest financial institution to track Apple in its portfolio, Needham & Co on Thursday issued its first note to investors analyzing the electronics giant courtesy of analyst Charlie Wolf.

The report issues a strong buy recommendation based on Apple's multi-pronged approach to its products and the underlying potential of the iPhone. The Cupertino, Calif.-based firm is no longer dependent on either the Mac or the iPod alone to succeed and is currently enjoying success on multiple fronts.

The iPod is "yesterday's news," Wolf says, referring to its now established position in the market. "Now the Apple story is all about the Mac and the iPhone."

He especially singles out Apple's inaugural cellular device, noting that its heavily software-based platform may be the key to its long-term success. As Apple can continually upgrade the iPhone without replacing the device itself, the handheld may remain the "gold standard" for as long as Apple wants, the analyst told clients.

Mac sales have also been helped significantly by the ability to run Windows and may help Apple more than double its world marketshare from 3 to 7 percent sometime in the next decade, he added.

Needham has set its 12-month share target at $235.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    This news is a little overshadowed by Orange's report of only 70k units sold the first month+. Had hoped to see the number come in a little over 120k, personally.

Looks like it is time for a € price cut.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It is disappointing.

I hope new models, and the SDK, will help.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It is disappointing.

I hope new models, and the SDK, will help.

Let's hope Jobs has this SDK ahead of schedule at MacWorld.

This Google Android alliance doesn't need any more of a head start.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

It's very possible that a beta, at least, may be released. Rumors are that major developers have had one in their hands at least two months now. That's certainly possible. This is a fairly simple device, compared to an open computer platform like the Mac itself.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    may help Apple more than double its world marketshare from 3 to 7 percent sometime in the next decade, he added.

In recent news we learn that the market share is already near 8%. But I think it's for US only. That's why.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    "Now the Apple story is all about the Mac and the iPhone."

Now THERES a Meme that bears repeating!
  • Reply 7 of 31
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    If apple released the iphone at the same time worldwide, I'm sure they would have more European sales.

By the time the iphone hit the UK, it was already old news, and I was saving up for the iPhone mk2 instead.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

From what I've read, Android may not have that great of a head start.

As an aside, I recently talked with the developers of a web based electronic medical record and they say they are eager to see develope for the iPhone. This is somewhat significant tin that the Mac platform is a very minor player in this area which is mostly dominated by windows.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    auguraugur Posts: 34member
    Yet another daily example of the "pump and dump" strategy that Wall Street suckers people in with.

WorldCom, Enron, etc. Haven't we seen this before 100 times already?

Buy the product, use the product, but who cares what a bunch of theives think? Their objective is to milk Apple to death, and bleed you indirectly by profiting on your Apple purchases. A dumb thief robs people with a gun. A clever thief uses a pen.

"The stock is only $200, but we expect it to go to $235, so why don't you buy some?" We take a percentage, and sell the stock to you we paid less than $200 for. If it never reaches $235, they buy it back for $150. Why can't people see how rigged this game is? It's like the lottery; an occasional wins masks how many people are getting ripped off. The odds are against you. It's an "insider's" game.

Pump and dump.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by augur View Post

Yet another daily example of the "pump and dump" strategy that Wall Street suckers people in with.

Buy the product, use the product, but who cares what a bunch of theives think? Their objective is to milk Apple to death, and bleed you indirectly by profiting on your Apple purchases. A dumb thief robs people with a gun. A clever thief uses a pen.

"The stock is only $200, but we expect it to go to $235, so why don't you buy some?" We take a percentage, and sell the stock to you we paid less than $200 for. If it never reaches $235, they buy it back for $150. Why can't people see how rigged this game is? It's like the lottery; an occasional wins masks how many people are getting ripped off. The odds are against you. It's an "insider's" game.

Pump and dump.

Of course they have a vested interest. As with all investments, do your own homework.

But one is only a sucker if you lose money. Currently, I'm up big time, so I'm a happy camper.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by augur View Post

Pump and dump.

Ride the waves, or just lay back n bob up n down on your lylo for the long haul.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Oh great, that's all we need. Another dirty stinking analyst to read MacRumors and rerelease the news for AI to pick up again.

Like Augur said. It's all a pump and dump stratedgy. Analysts only "dig up facts" that will raise AAPL because the better the stock perform, the more they get paid. I feel bad for the idiots who listen to them.

Yeah yeah, Melgross, I know what you're going to say, that I'm an ignorant fool for thinking an Analyst's job is so trite and corrupted. I don't want to hear it again. Analysts are a waste of our time, as Mac Rumor mongers and should not be reported on. 90% of their info comes straight from the pages we read daily, which is evidenced by Shaw Wu's recent balk once Mac Rumors posted a sub-notbook rumor recap. He changed his analysis to nearly match almost all of MR's points. Coincidence? Only the naive would think so.

I typically think highly of your posts, Melgross. Don't let me down by being one of those niave people.

-Clive
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Oh great, that's all we need. Another dirty stinking analyst to read MacRumors and rerelease the news for AI to pick up again.

Like Augur said. It's all a pump and dump stratedgy. Analysts only "dig up facts" that will raise AAPL because the better the stock perform, the more they get paid. I feel bad for the idiots who listen to them.

Yeah yeah, Melgross, I know what you're going to say, that I'm an ignorant fool for thinking an Analyst's job is so trite and corrupted. I don't want to hear it again. Analysts are a waste of our time, as Mac Rumor mongers and should not be reported on. 90% of their info comes straight from the pages we read daily, which is evidenced by Shaw Wu's recent balk once Mac Rumors posted a sub-notbook rumor recap. He changed his analysis to nearly match almost all of MR's points. Coincidence? Only the naive would think so.

I typically think highly of your posts, Melgross. Don't let me down by being one of those niave people.

-Clive

If you don't want to hear it again, then stop commenting.

I've been investing since I was 13 in 1963. I've heard it all, believe me.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Forget about these stats -isn't the year-end goal some 10 millions iPhones? I predict they've sold close to 4 million by now globally...
  • Reply 15 of 31
    While you've been investing longer than I, we've both been investors since a young age... Which makes me even more surprised that you believe those guys.

Number one rule about investing: Do all your own research.

Number two? Never trust what anyone else says about a stock.

-Clive
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

While you've been investing longer than I, we've both been investors since a young age... Which makes me even more surprised that you believe those guys.

-Clive

Sure, and it's not that simple either.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sure, and it's not that simple either.

Ok so where does someone like me in my thirty's that now wants to start buying some stock begin? Ignore all analyst and rely only on my own research? Or take their advice under advisement.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Very good advice. But there is more to #2 than you are implying. There is a difference between never trust and completely ignore.

You would be a fool to discount the motives and biases of the annalysts, but it would also be foolish not to notice what they are saying.

Remember, there are tons of investors out there with money to invest. The vast majority do not follow Apple rumor sites and don't have time to spend hours researching every company they are going to invest in. It is a simple fact that some people do listen to these analyists regardless of what you may think of them. That can have an impact on demand and pricing of Apple stocks.

Wheather you think they are useful or not, you should consider them relevant, I believe...
  • Reply 19 of 31
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    IMO it's all about trying to predict what the sheep(analysts) AND/OR Apple are going to do next.

Utilize all available info, but know what to ignore and what not to ignore is the trick.

A diversely educated and technologically savvy human should be able to fit the pieces together and discard with reasonable accuracy the B***S*** that exists in the game.

That said, even the BS is influential. So many differing factors, intuition can often be the most suitable tool.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    auguraugur Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Of course they have a vested interest. As with all investments, do your own homework.

But one is only a sucker if you lose money. Currently, I'm up big time, so I'm a happy camper.

Everybody says that when they are going up. They think it will last forever. Hence the old saying, "pride comes before the fall."

If you were wise, then you would get out now, but that is impossible. If you were wise, then you never would have gotten in.

You'll see. Been there, done that. I was once a fool too.

Btw, the wealth is an illusion. The more you "make," the more inflation you create. Your profit is also your expense. It's a vicious circle. The only way to win is to not play, but every new generation is suckered into playing. The more you manipulate your money, the less it will be worth. What could have been a tool becomes a weapon.