MacWorld 2008 Transcript Leaked?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As everybody?s favorite keynote of the year approaches, more and more rumors about the great iProducts to come begin floating around the great rumor mill. Our friends over at MacRumors have supposedly obtained a draft version of the keynote transcripts for the upcoming MacWorld 2008. I have no idea if it is real or not, but I wouldn?t doubt it. Here?s a summary of the speculated things to come. Here?s a compiled list of what MacRumor?s two transcripts consist of. Remember, none of this is guaranteed and nothing is promised, so don?t hold your breath on it.

Mac Nano

?\tRedesigned Mac?Mini

?\tHalf the height as its predecessor

?\tNow has an anodized aluminum shell.

?\t2.2GHz and 2.4GHz Santa Rosa chips

?\t32GB flash solid state drive (64GB build-to-order option, also option for 160GB conventional HDD)

?\tOn sale at MacWorld, ships February

Mac Pro

?\tBased off the Penryn chipset

?\tDual 2.8 GHz Penryn Xeons standard

?\t2GB of RAM standard

?\t320GB HDD standard

?\tNVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Graphics standard

?\tBlu-Ray build-to-order option for an extra $400

MacBook Pro

?\tMobile Penryn Chipset

?\t2.4GHz and 2.6GHz Speeds

?\t17? gets LED backlighting

?\t15? gets a build-to-order higher resolution similar to the 17? model

?\tKeeping the 8600M GT graphics, but upping the video memory to 256MB and 512MB

?\tBlack anodized aluminum option similar to the iPod classic

?\tOn sale at MacWorld, ships February

Cinema Displays

?\tBuilt in 2 megapixel iSight camera

?\tSame resolutions

?\tLED backlighting

?\tAll support 1080HD

?\tNew Prices : 20?: $399; 23?: $599; 30?: $1,249

?\tOn sale at MacWorld, Available at MacWorld

MacBook Nano

?\tUltraportable Mac

?\tSame screen resolution and size as the current MacBooks; 13? at 1280x800

?\t1.6GHz and 1.8GHz low voltage Core 2 Duos

?\tLow end model to feature a 32GB SSD and the higher end to have a 64GB SSD

?\t$1,499 and $1,999 Respectively

?\tNo Optical Drives

?\tIntel Integrated Graphics

?\t10 Hours of Battery Life

?\tOn sale at MacWorld, Available at MacWorld

iPhone

?\tSDK Available at MacWorld

?\tDevelopers can sell their signed apps from iTunes starting in March

?\tNew software includes Multimedia messaging, video recording with the camera, and an eBook reader

?\tiPhone games available from the iTunes store

?\t3G iPhone announced (looks similar to the existing model)

?\tiPhone available in more countries

iTunes & iPod

?\tiTunes 8 released along with Movie Rentals and eBooks

?\tSoftware update for iPod Classics and Touches to support eBooks

Front Row 3.0

?\tAll Leopard compatible Macs will be able to use it

?\tSupport for the iTunes Store

?\teBook Reader

?\tSDK for 3rd Parties to make plugins

?\tCan be controlled via Apple Remote, iPhone, or iPod Touch

?\tiCal, Mail, and Safari integration

MacTouch

?\tNew product not in the MacBook family

?\tTwo 9" multitouch-sensitve widescreens, both at 1280 x 854

?\tInnovative, minimalist, two-way folding/sliding, dual-screen, multi-position design with magnetic clasps. Inspired by the paperback book, but thinner, more flexible and surprisingly tough.

?\tNo optical drive or mechanical HDD, uses a SSD drive.

?\tWill run most existing OS X apps when in dual screen mode; 2nd screen becomes keyboard and touchpad

?\tiPhone-ish springboard when in single screen mode

?\tMultitouch sensitive version of iPhoto

?\tBluetooth, 802.11b/g, USB2.0, optical/analogue audio in/out, built in speakers & microphone.

Remember, nothing here is guaranteed, but it sure does sound awesome.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

•\tOn sale at MacWorld, Available at MacWorld

Does Apple actually sell products at MacWorld? I've never been, but I've never actually heard of that. All I hear is "available today" and then the Apple store goes online with it.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah, and the keynote is going be 7 hours long to fit all that in.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    I'd love every thing here to come except for MacTouch (as it probably kills our unannounced concept product...)

Cinema Displays sound very sad to me, as you cannot provide a color accuracy today at 23”: $599; 30”: $1,249.

Here is an example: http://direct.eizo.co.jp/cgi-bin/omc...41w/index.html CG241W it is 24inches, 96% Adobe RGB color accurate, not an LED backlight, and it costs around 1600 usd (with color calibration device)
  • Reply 4 of 37
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    A 32 gigabyte "Mac Nano"

No way. OS X + iLife + all of the pre installed Apps take up like 28 gigabytes.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Bullsh?t!

Yeah coming from a guy with 3 posts. How reliable is that?
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Bullsh•t!

Yeah coming from a guy with 3 posts. How reliable is that?

You do realize this was a page 2 rumor at Macrumors right?

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/26/...e-transcripts/

This guy is just relaying the information it would seem. Don't be so critical of new posters.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    actually before an iphone presentation, few days before if I’m not mistaken the same thing (like those transcripts) appeared on the engadget, and it was 100% accurate...
  • Reply 8 of 37
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    why do i read this crap!

they could have at least made it somewhat believable, right?
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Yes, all this could fit into two keynotes. I guess we'll find out soon.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Interesting read...give me a BTO Blu-ray drive in the iMac Extreme or something though!
  • Reply 11 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I like the price changes on the Cinema Displays and the rest, but we'll have to see.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    In regards to ACD pricing. If they will be using the same panels, the price drop is certainly plausible. If not, you can kiss the 23" goodbye as it will be replaced by a 24" using the same panel as the iMac (H-IPS). Most likely the 30" will get bumped to a new panel (same one in the Dell 3008 I reckon). I don't know if there are any new 20" S-IPS panels out there though.

If anything, LED backlighting at those prices should make the display portion of this keynote highly implausible.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suneohair View Post

In regards to ACD pricing. If they will be using the same panels, the price drop is certainly plausible. If not, you can kiss the 23" goodbye as it will be replaced by a 24" using the same panel as the iMac (H-IPS). Most likely the 30" will get bumped to a new panel (same one in the Dell 3008 I reckon). I don't know if there are any new 20" S-IPS panels out there though.

If anything, LED backlighting at those prices should make the display portion of this keynote highly implausible.

Apple won't downgrade its panel quality. It will either maintain or upgrade them and justify the price drop being less than expected.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple won't downgrade its panel quality. It will either maintain or upgrade them and justify the price drop being less than expected.

Did I make the suggestion that they would downgrade the panels?
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

Did I make the suggestion that they would downgrade the panels?

Reducing costs and going the way of DELL does make the suggestion of downgrading the panels--DELL downgraded their panels and reduced the price to compete in the entry level market.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    so what does "on sale: today shipping: february" mean? is it like you can buy it at apple.com but it wont ship out until february?
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Reducing costs and going the way of DELL does make the suggestion of downgrading the panels--DELL downgraded their panels and reduced the price to compete in the entry level market.

You do realize that the latest Dell 30" uses the latest LG S-IPS panel and costs $2000? $800 more than its predecessor? Granted it has a scaler allowing for lower res inputs to be displayed accurately (a trend Apple has thus far ignored). But the panel in the Dell is better than the one Apple currently sells.

Furthermore, the panel in the 30" ACD now is the same as the panel used in the Dell 3007WFP, the previous model. For awhile they were equal in price but of course the Dell got cheaper since Apple doesn't lower their prices dynamically.

The panel in the Dell 3008WFP is better than the panel in the current 30" ACD. Before you attempt to make generalizations I suggest you do a little research. Don't assume that by saying Apple will use the same panel as in the new Dell 30" in anyway suggests the ACDs will be "downgraded." Also, I never stated that if Apple changes the panels those prices would hold. I explicitly stated that if the panels stayed the same the prices could drop that low. Especially considering the Dell 3007WFP (again using the same panel as Apple) goes for around $1200.

And where does this "Dell downgraded their panels" come from? Dell did not downgrade panels. The 24" has always used a PVA/MVA panel. The 30" has always been an S-IPS. They did go TN on the 20" and of course the 22" are TN. Sure they offer lower end LCDs, but why not? Not everyone wants to spend $600 on a 20" display for their Mac Mini. A good mix of quality displays and consumer display is never a bad thing. Unless they start sticking TNs in their 24" and 30" I would jump to such conclusions.

Now, if we are talking about the 20", at $349 Apple could very well go with a TN panel. This isn't surprising since they took that road with the 20" iMac when they went Aluminum. The 20" models that preceded the latest upgrade used S-IPS panels, but in the latest they went TN, which I am sure cut costs. I guess they are just like Dell, lower quality parts to reduce cost. What do you know? Could it be because they want to compete in the entry level market? Apple has been clearly taking the position of catering more toward the consumer and not the professional. That does not paint a very bright future for the ACD and Mac Pro.

None of this suggests that the displays are identical because they use the same panel. I very well know they are not. The 24" iMac uses the same panel as the high end NEC 24", but the NEC remains a much better display as it has a 12-bit LUT among other pro features. Of course Apple has an edge over the Dells if they move away from the current 8-bit LUT to a 10 or 12 and make them all around more pro displays in terms of features. But that is where the difference is in most of these displays. Not the panels, as in many cases they will use the same panels.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmoney_2010 View Post

so what does "on sale: today shipping: february" mean? is it like you can buy it at apple.com but it wont ship out until february?

aka "pre-order"
  • Reply 19 of 37
    ok. thats a better word
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

You do realize that the latest Dell 30" uses the latest LG S-IPS panel and costs $2000? $800 more than its predecessor? Granted it has a scaler allowing for lower res inputs to be displayed accurately (a trend Apple has thus far ignored). But the panel in the Dell is better than the one Apple currently sells.

Furthermore, the panel in the 30" ACD now is the same as the panel used in the Dell 3007WFP, the previous model. For awhile they were equal in price but of course the Dell got cheaper since Apple doesn't lower their prices dynamically.

The panel in the Dell 3008WFP is better than the panel in the current 30" ACD. Before you attempt to make generalizations I suggest you do a little research. Don't assume that by saying Apple will use the same panel as in the new Dell 30" in anyway suggests the ACDs will be "downgraded." Also, I never stated that if Apple changes the panels those prices would hold. I explicitly stated that if the panels stayed the same the prices could drop that low. Especially considering the Dell 3007WFP (again using the same panel as Apple) goes for around $1200.

And where does this "Dell downgraded their panels" come from? Dell did not downgrade panels. The 24" has always used a PVA/MVA panel. The 30" has always been an S-IPS. They did go TN on the 20" and of course the 22" are TN. Sure they offer lower end LCDs, but why not? Not everyone wants to spend $600 on a 20" display for their Mac Mini. A good mix of quality displays and consumer display is never a bad thing. Unless they start sticking TNs in their 24" and 30" I would jump to such conclusions.

Now, if we are talking about the 20", at $349 Apple could very well go with a TN panel. This isn't surprising since they took that road with the 20" iMac when they went Aluminum. The 20" models that preceded the latest upgrade used S-IPS panels, but in the latest they went TN, which I am sure cut costs. I guess they are just like Dell, lower quality parts to reduce cost. What do you know? Could it be because they want to compete in the entry level market? Apple has been clearly taking the position of catering more toward the consumer and not the professional. That does not paint a very bright future for the ACD and Mac Pro.

None of this suggests that the displays are identical because they use the same panel. I very well know they are not. The 24" iMac uses the same panel as the high end NEC 24", but the NEC remains a much better display as it has a 12-bit LUT among other pro features. Of course Apple has an edge over the Dells if they move away from the current 8-bit LUT to a 10 or 12 and make them all around more pro displays in terms of features. But that is where the difference is in most of these displays. Not the panels, as in many cases they will use the same panels.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010301753.html

Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP 30-Inch LCD Monitor

Dell's 3008WFP is the first monitor with DisplayPort, but other 30-inch LCDs offer better performance and value.

$1999

Excerpt:

Quote:

Though the 3008WFP handled Web pages with aplomb, it proved an average performer on colorful pictures, such as a photo of fruit slices and a portrait of a group of people. As a result, it received a Good rating for graphics.

That's DELL's top of the line release for CES.

We shall see what Apple releases shortly.