Mac newbie needing advice....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am thinking about buying a new iMac after years with various Windows systems. I have never actually seen or used any version of the mac OS. I have read some complaints about the new version (Leopard) but they are coming from dedicated Mac users. Since I won't have a point of reference to past versions, how do you think my learning curve and enjoyment of the system will turn out? I am just tired of constantly having to patch, prod, prop up Windows systems. It will be used mostly for surfing, email, photo and home video storage and burnng. Any suggestions, warning or ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drugdawg View Post

I am thinking about buying a new iMac after years with various Windows systems. I have never actually seen or used any version of the mac OS. I have read some complaints about the new version (Leopard) but they are coming from dedicated Mac users. Since I won't have a point of reference to past versions, how do you think my learning curve and enjoyment of the system will turn out? I am just tired of constantly having to patch, prod, prop up Windows systems. It will be used mostly for surfing, email, photo and home video storage and burnng. Any suggestions, warning or ideas are appreciated. Thanks

You would probably love the iMac. It's perfect for the use you describe. No more virus or spyware issues. And most Leopard users are very happy. A few power users have issues but the average user doesn't.

You should visit an Apple store and have a sales person show you one to make sure you will like the way Macs work. OSX is a little different from windows and you should at least look at it before jumping in.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Would you suggest the new iMac with Tiger or Leopard?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drugdawg View Post

Would you suggest the new iMac with Tiger or Leopard?

Leopard. I did not upgrade until 10.5.1 came out and I am generally pleased. As a new user, you will probably not have the same point of reference as the dedicated Mac users who have problems with Leopard (myself included) because you will not know what aspects of the User Interface were changed (the source of some of our biggest complaints, such as stacks, menu transparency, etc).

It took me about two weeks to feel comfortable with the OS when I switched (two years ago). After about 6 months, I could not understand why anyone would put up with the mess that is Windows. However, keep in mind that you will also be able to run Windows as you make the transition.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    You can't buy a new Mac with Tiger anyway. Leopard is the only shipping OS with a new machine.

You'll do just fine with it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Go ahead and get that Mac! With the switch to Intel, the beauty is that if you end up really not liking OS X, you can always run Windows (or Linux) on the machine instead.

As long as you understand that the "it just works" mantra that comes out of Apple is pure hyperbole, it is more likely than not that you will, after a few months, prefer OS X over Windows. There can be problems, but on the whole, far fewer than with Windows and this should lead to a much more pleasant computing experience for you.

Good luck!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    -nova--nova- Posts: 64member
    Just a warning, the Mac world event is just around the corner. New hardware might be introduced, which could bring down the prices of somethings you want to buy.

In other words, if you can, wait till the end of January. THEN buy a Mac.