First month French iPhone sales fall shy of target

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

If Apple announces it sold 5M iPhones at Macworld, that bodes very well for Apple.

Apple will NOT announce 5 mil sold iPhones. It's a malicious rumour designed by "day-traders" to pump up the stock ahead of MacWorld/Fiscal Earnings. The traders will then sell just before it's announced that far less than 5 mil iPhones has been sold which will cause the stock to tank, allowing the day traders to buy the stock cheap - and so it starts over again. DO NOT believe that rumour! It is designed to inflate then damage the AAPL stock.
  • Reply 22 of 136
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Apple sales not living up to spec in the most visibly Apple-hostile country on the planet?

In related news, water is wet and fire is hot.
  • Reply 23 of 136
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

First England then France. Apple should have stayed out of the cellphone business- not good. And the Nokia attack hasn't even started yet. Be prepared for more bad cellphone news in 2008. Verizon has just been rated #1 in comsumer reports- on the Today show this morning. AT&T along with Sprint at the bottom. People will not switch to a crappy cell phone carrier no matter what the phone is/does.

Complete rubbish.
  • Reply 24 of 136
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    how do i delete posts? posted twice by mistake
  • Reply 25 of 136
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

First England then France. Apple should have stayed out of the cellphone business- not good. And the Nokia attack hasn't even started yet. Be prepared for more bad cellphone news in 2008. Verizon has just been rated #1 in comsumer reports- on the Today show this morning. AT&T along with Sprint at the bottom. People will not switch to a crappy cell phone carrier no matter what the phone is/does.

now that Im 100% sure you are wrong on. Mobile biz is gonna be a pushover. it was obvious since mobiles were invented that once the mhz available in the devices grew powerful enough to run a 'traditional' OS, then the competition would be doomed. Your welcome to quote me in 5 years
  • Reply 26 of 136
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Complete rubbish.

No, reality. And yes ,reality bites.
  • Reply 27 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Don't forget that 44% of Apple's revenue comes from Europe. Now, the weakness of the dollar is more likely to hurt Apple's revenues abroad than the US economy, honestly.

Umm (w/apologies to Wilco).....

I don't quite follow: Don't you mean to say that "...the weakness of the dollar is more likely to help Apple.....?" (As it would all US dollar-based exporters).
  • Reply 28 of 136
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Umm (w/apologies to Wilco).....

I don't quite follow: Don't you mean to say that "...the weakness of the dollar is more likely to help Apple.....?" (As it would all US dollar-based exporters).

Not only that, Apple's stuff is largely made in China. The yuan is pegged to the dollar though, so a weak dollar indirectly makes Chinese made products cheap.
  • Reply 29 of 136
    Quote:

Verizon has just been rated #1 in comsumer reports....

So has the iPhone! LOL.
  • Reply 30 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

I don't mean to sidetrack the discussion, but since we're talking markets:

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...%29_per_capita , the US has roughly 40% higher GNI (PPP) per capita, and I would think that includes government expenditure. So unless the french health system is massively more efficient than the US's, it's a very, very significant difference, particularly for high-end products, and even further if one considers that the US has much more rich people proportionally.

GNI measured in PPP terms is fairly meaningless for prediction of product demand.

And, to sidetrack the sidetrack, yes, the French health system is massively more efficient (compared to the US) on just about every conceivable metric.
  • Reply 31 of 136
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I don't think anyone here should be that surprised. Many of AIs European forum members have expressed concerns over the iPhones lack of 3g. Despite reports that the current iPhone is as fast as a 3g phone I think many in Europe are waiting for a 3g model before considering the iPhone.

Hopefully a 3g iPhone will now come sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 32 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

GNI measured in PPP terms is fairly meaningless for prediction of product demand.

And, to sidetrack the sidetrack, yes, the French health system is massively more efficient (compared to the US) on just about every conceivable metric.

Interesting metasidetracks--certainly more interesting than peeling layers of rather meaningless and unbenchmarkable iFUD. But wouldn't you agree that 1. however inaccurate PPP adjustments and Product metrics, differences of 25-40% are beyond the error margin and can be significant in the demand of expensive products (bottom line--the French have less money for luxury items, and this must be put in context among the other factors I cited); and 2. the incremental efficiency of the French health system might be, with much luck, around 1% of GNI (versus 25-40%), which, if I'm not mistaken, makes it irrelevant to the argument?
  • Reply 33 of 136
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    To be fair, any health-care system which gives 25% of it income to the insurance industry and another 25% to lawyers, is going to struggle to be efficient.

C.
  • Reply 34 of 136
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Other sites have a different spin, Carphone Warehouse iPhone flop

This report says the tariff prices are making the iPhone unattractive, which I can agree that they are not competitive.
  • Reply 35 of 136
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Things do not bode well for Apple, and it's very likely that AAPL will take significant hits in the upcoming recession. Disposable income coupled with decreased job security and inflation will be a disaster for sales of Apple devices.

iPhone not meeting expectations is not helpful for the situation.

Let's see, some CEO, analyst, pundit, talking head, Jim Cramer, whoever, pulls a figure literally out of their ass (using what, I don't know, a Quija Board?) and it becomes an expectation to be met at all costs? And unless the "expectation" is met the product (iPhone, XBox, Barbie Doll, Webkinz) is an abject failure? Is that how it works? Really?

Upcoming recession? Really? Whose ass did you pull that out from?

Jim Cramer, by the way, says Apple will reach $300 this year. See how it works now?
  • Reply 36 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    All launches in 2008 of iPhone will fall short of target. Because in a lot, a ton, of countries, iPhone is widely available unlocked through various means. Everybody and their dog now has one.
  • Reply 37 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm here. The iPhone didn't meet its projections in France. I wanted to see the official numbers.

This still does not mean that sales were poor we still need to see how well did it sell against competing smartphones sold in France. Did those other phones add nearly 35,000 new subscribers? Adding new subscribers is really what it comes down too for Orange. A big number of sales is just bragging rights.

The end it does say that iPhones sales were big at Carphone Warehouse. It'll be interesting to hear the numbers.

We compare it to their projections, which were 100 thousand. It's well below that, so it didn't do well. we don't have to look at other phones, they're irrelevant. Now, they are spinning, and say that they really meant 50 TO 100 thousand. But, that's not what they said, so they're spinning.

As I've said before, it's not a disaster, but it's not a home run either, not even a triple.
  • Reply 38 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DokterDavid View Post

Hello,

I am living in France and Holland, so I was pleased to hear the french law made it possible for me to unlock the iphone trhu Orange. I asked in the Orange shop if it was posible to buy a iphone with a Orange service and have it unlocked for Holland. No problem they told me. I asked again if it was an official unlocking service from Apple and Orange. Yes it was.

So I bought the Iphone and told the shopkeeper to have it unlocked ( 100 Euro) but she told it has to be registred first thru itunes. So i went home and registered it with Orange. It went oke I love the iphone. I went back to the shop and asked again to have it unlocked. Another shop person told me it should be performed over the phone and no i could not do that over there. So i went again back home and called 700 on my iphone. After a long time listening to bad music a nice girl helped me with the unlocking. She would send my serialnumber to apple and apple would send me the unlocking code. But at the end she told me that it would void my waranty and i would not get any more updates from Apple. I was puzzled. This was a legitimed unlocking service, not something i downloaded from the internet. Why would a official unlocking from ORANGE and APPLE void my warranty?

I have not recieved the code from Apple yet, but i am not shure to use it. Even it cost me 100 euro's to get it. Maybe i should have bought it in the US for 399 dollar ( 220 euro ) and spend 10 euro on a wih kid who would Jailbreak the iphone. It would have saved me a bundle.

Does someone known; if i restore an unlocked iphone in Itunes. the original lock would be in place. So i would have a way of unlocking and still getting the updates?

It still is a wonderful piece of technology, but my happiness is a bit tempered by the whole deal

David Le cayle France and Zoelen Holland.

She was mistaken. Yes, Orange would no longer be responsible for the phone, but Apple would. Apple is the one to contact.
  • Reply 39 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Or, as it turns out, it's really only a small dome mistaken for a sky.

• Reply 40 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllyW View Post

Other sites have a different spin, Carphone Warehouse iPhone flop

That looks to be more realistic.